THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: 243 w/ Blue Dot & 55 grain Ballistic Tip:Accurate!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 243 w/ Blue Dot & 55 grain Ballistic Tip:Accurate!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Once again, seafire/B17G, Thanks for the info!

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome stuff John, thanks for the work up.
Mike

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My pleasure. Actually this was so accurate, I dis assembled about 75 rounds of 243 with 55 grain Ballistic Tips and 50 grains of H 380. I am going to reload the 55 grainers with the Blue Dot instead since it was a lot more accurate and a lot less muzzle blast!

If i remember I will drop some off at your office to try.

I think you will like them. My Ruger sure did.

Talk to you soon.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire

I like the idea of lower charges of Blue Dot ie low noise. Have you linked accuracy to increasing charge of Blue Dot?
Do you think the 55grBT ( or any other bullets ) are velocity sensitive when loading for accuracy with Blue Dot?

Regards...
........Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Titan,

When I have loaded and tested them, particularly in the 223, 22/250 and 243, as the velocity goes up, the accuracy does not decrease anything to worry about unless you are competition shooting. At least up to the velocities I have listed and posted.

That is why I have used Blue Dot and played with it so much, as it seem to be so Darn Consistent.

Velocities won't match the capabilities of other powders, but grazing around in the trajectory charts and really taking alook at what you are shooting at in the real world, you don't need max velocity.

An example, is that my 22/250 load of choice is a Speer 52 grain HP, with 25 grains of IMR 4198. I like using less powder, a pound goes further, less throat erosion and the barrel does not heat up as fast, ( but we can still heat them up not paying attention when the shooting is hot, a target rich environment!) Velocity is down to 3400 fps, instead of the 3700 to 3800 I can easily obtain.

However I am not statistically giving up that much point blank range, and no one told my rifle this, but the 3400 fps seems to shoot flatter and farther than the trajectory charts tell me it is suppose to. Although the faster velocities do seem to correspond to the trajectory charts much closer.

Oh well if it works, smile and don't complain is my philosophy.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire..

Thank you.

I only have a few 55gr BT left on my shelf and had hoped that a load between 8 - 10gr of Blue Dot would give accuracy (trajectory not being an issue)without too much testing for my 243.

Another choice from your previous data would be 14gr giving Hornet energy levels. Something to try and anticipate!

Regards...

....Titan