THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    65 grain Sierra .223 on-game performance questions.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

65 grain Sierra .223 on-game performance questions.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Looking for real on-game reports of the 65 grain Sierra .224 spitzter boat tail, particularly on coyotes, deer, or antelope. I’ve found a load which shoots awesome in a Remington and a Savage .223 of mine and am looking to try it out, most likely on a coyote if I can get one in my sights.

Not looking for the “.223 on Deer†debate, just any field reports on bullet performance using this particular bullet.

Thanks.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I'd truly call Sierra and get their field reports, should be some good feedback for you if you have not done it yet.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed does out to 235 yds with the very pill you speak of with excellent performance. If acceptable levels of accuracy and conditions are present, take the shot. I launch mine out of a Remmington PSS 223 at 2850fps.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30378-

Have you recovered any bullets? Just curious if they fragment or if they mushroom and retain any significant weight. Did they pass through? Are you taking head, neck, or heart/lung shots.

Thanks.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every kill shot has been a pass-through. Not sure and don't keep count but roughly between my kids and myself 10 to 12 behind the shoulder shots.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote