Find
Notify
Tools

Finally. Got a 6.5 coming.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
Have a 6.5 in transit to my FFL. It's a 1903 fullstock, double set trigger, with butterknife bolt handle. I need to look it over and shoot it a bit. But I think I need a cocking piece peep installed either original or a repro. My eyes aren't as great as they used to be but I can still shoot a peep. The 6.5X54 M/S is supposed to be a good hunting rifle with the 156 to 160 gr round nose bullets for which it was designed. I would like to get a 6.5X54 barrel for my Encore in 26" and compare the standard loads to the 6.5 creed or whatever the noise has been about. Some think it is new and might even wash and wax your truck after a trip to the range. I DON'T THINK SO. sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a beauty!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Mannlicher Schoenauer full stock rifles too! 6.5x54 sounds great.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that you found you a 6.5X54, packy. Pls keep us informed of your progress with it.

Now you can start looking for a 10.75X68.... Wink

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking.....But thinking about a cocking piece peep sight for the 6.5

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldOn one of my Carcanos I put a Williams peep mounted on the forward part of the action .Works great and has an acceptable appearance. I'll E-Mail a photo if you like. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in love with the 6.5 and haven't even got to the range with it yet. Just received factory ammo yesterday. Will be shooting it soon. Found a 9.5x56 I believe. They want a lot of money for it but it is sitting. Just wonder about offering a lower price. Maybe....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wonder about offering a lower price. Maybe....

Low-balling...a long-standing AR tradition! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True. But they want a fortune on an altered stock with scope. I might insult their little feelers. Guess ya don't know until you ask.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any pictures of that old 1903 yet? How'd she shoot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
Just wonder about offering a lower price. Maybe....

Low-balling...a long-standing AR tradition! :-)

Never hurts to try, worst the seller can say is GFY.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am hanging my head right now. Went to a friend's range but it started raining so I didn't get my baby out in the rain. It was actually misting but we went out anyway. Shot my Steyr Scout and an old Belgian made Browning Medalist. Why have I owned any other brand or style of 22 auto in my life? Anyway I just couldn't get her out. I have opened the 6.5 up and cleaned years of copper out of the bore. I get her out and stroke her but haven't shot her yet. I'm sorry Father for I have sinned. I have some reservations about her and need to get some lead down the bore to see the size and condition diameter wise. I love the set triggers though. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also just received a 6.5x54 MS carbine. It’s in great shape with a vintage Hensoldt 2 3/4x. I ordered some PRVI 156 grainers but unfortunately they won’t feed out of the mag. The exposed lead tips are hanging up. I’ll have to single feed them when I get to the range later this week. The Hornady 160’s that I’ll reload with should feed due to the copper jacket contacting the front of the magazine rather than lead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have your dies in hand, try playing with the OAL of the Prvis. I think you will get them to feed. At least, I certainly did. These M-Ss can be temperamental WRT cartridge length, but when you find what it likes, they feed like no other rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice! I got out the old bullet-puller and ran one out slowly until it fed. Out of the box the PRVI's are OAL of 2.945". They feed slick as snot at 3.040. (past the cannelure BTW) I need to get to the range to see how the old gal prints.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that. IIRC, mine worked at about the same OAL with the Prvis and a little longer with the Hornadys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe 3.03 is the COAL I was given by some with experience. I haven't tried reloads yet. My M/S needs to go to the smith to check the headspace first.

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
This post is useless without pictures!!!

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clem was right but no photos yet. Basser or Hook anyone shoot them lately? Maybe at game? Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took several rifles out to try at 200 yds, including my 1903.

Packy, you may remember that I told you I was going to hunt with the 139 gr Norma factory ammo I stumbled into....got to turn it into brass for reloading somehow. I was happy to get a 3" group with at 200 despite the pre war Hensoltd scope with it's broad, flat topped post reticle. It also shot flatter than I expected it to.

Man, I can't wait to smack a whitetail with it this Fall.