New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222RemMag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How does this caliber compare to the .223?
I'm just curious about getting a small caliber varminter and am looking into a few options.
Thanks

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
How does this caliber compare to the .223?
I'm just curious about getting a small caliber varminter and am looking into a few options.
Thanks

They are almost identical..the 222mag has slight edge in volume and a longer neck....the accuracy and speed between the 223/222m depends on the individual gun....my several 222m have all been accurate.....the twist rate is 1-14 and most 1-12 for the factory 222m....the 223 is 1-12,1-9,1-7 and custom this lets the 223 handle the 69-80 grain bullets if that is necessary or desireable for your plans....be sure to check twist....the brass is good for the 222m but now only Remington has it available on a regular basis and I'd stock up on it since the 6PPC has dethroned the 6x47 a 222m necked up to 6mm as THE benchrest cartridge the 222m brass might? get hard to get...but the brass last a long time in a good chamber and dies......from a pratical standpoint as much as I like my 222m a 223 makes more sense from a brass availablity and guns chambered and resale value but I wouldn't turn down a good used gun in 222m and many seem to be well chambered and accurate.....I have both the 222m and 223..have to watch the brass carefully and each will deliver good accuracy in good guns with good loads and they are almost duplicates of each other untill you get into the fast twist with heavy bullets....that is how I see them as different/same...good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my dad has a 40X so chambered that will get in the 1`s on occasion and is a solid 1/4 gun.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote