THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    looking for a heavy barrelled 223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for a heavy barrelled 223
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Who has what available, and with what twist?

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
Savage has a good selection...16FSS is ss/syn field weight barrel, old style trigger, carry rifle. 10FP 20" or 24" Tactical rifle...matte blue w/Tupperware syn stock. FVSS is 26" SS w/Tupperware stock....BVSS is the SS with nice heavy laminated stock. These are are repeaters, they also make s/shots in the BV and with Choate stock. These varmint series have the new Accue trigger. Twist rate on all 223 Savage rifles are 1/9" and this works great from 50-69 gr bullets. Standard twist for 223 is 1/12".

<reload>
posted
Armed, is correct, you could spend more for some other rifle, but the Savage is very accurate for a stock rifle. If you want a custom rifle you could look at shooters corner, Bob White has the largest selection of used target rifles. Good Luck

<Armed in Utah>
posted
Tikka.........forgot to mention the Tikka/Sako series. These would be my second choice. They have blue/SS walnut or syn. Also the Continental HB available in blue/walnut. CZ is another good choice. Go to their web sites and pick your rifle.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
What about the new Accu-trigger? I'm skeptical. Is there a replacement available?

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Ruger #1V.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
Who has what available, and with what twist?

I have had good luck with the Remington 700 in the VSSF version and the twist is 1-12 for the mid weight bullets....the trigger will require rework or replacement and the HS stock needs equal torque on the action screws but mine shoots high .2 low .3with molly Berger bullets at 100yds for 5 shot groups and .4 with Hornady 55VMax with prepped brass-precision reloads.....They make a PSS version with a 1-9twist but I haven't shot one ..HTH..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
PA Frank.......the new Accue trigger is a big improvement over the old one. I do not have one yet, but I do have about 6 or so SSS triggered rifles. To my knowledge, it will not interchange on older style Savage rifles, and no one has a reason to build an aftermarket one for it. I have shot one, its a big step forward for Savage rifles. It is only available on police, varmint/target rifles, not field grade game rifles, yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and check out the Howa's. They are finished better than most other mfg's. They are smooth, accurate and good looking. In a word smooth.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
What about the new Accu-trigger? I'm skeptical. Is there a replacement available?

The Accu-trigger lives up to its claims. It is adjustable by the user from 1 to 6 lbs. It has no creep, and it is a very safe design.

Replacing it would be a waste of money.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would seriously consider some of the AR-15 based varminters made by DPMS, Bushmaster, and Rock River Arms.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Frank, I have a .223 110FP (matte, plastic stock) for sale. It's happy with nearly any load and spectacular with several! Problem is, I have two of such rifles!

Comes with bases and the "dogleg" (I forget the proper nomenclature) Weaver rings that are helpful on long actions sometimes. It has the older style trigger and has seen 980 rounds downrange. One in nine twist barrel. $250 plus a 20 for shipping. Take this quick before I rebarrel it to .17 Rem!

Redial
markriedl@yahoo.com

[ 08-26-2003, 08:02: Message edited by: redial ]

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 10 fp le with a 24 in barrel and it has to get warmed up before it shoots but when it does it shoots.The new accurra trigger is really good.I just got mine to play with at the range some and really love the way it shoots.Haven't done anything to it yet but want to bed and fill the stock later.
When I laid it down in the rest the stock is so flemsy that the barrel would drop down in the stoc,remedied that temp by placing a steel washer on the front piller post.
This is a pic of a target zeroing it in at 200 yds.  -

[ 08-29-2003, 21:11: Message edited by: owensby ]

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Orion 1. Bushmaster's got some pretty good deals going. The Varminter and DCM both have heavy barrels. The Rock Rivers are also highly rated by the AR folks around here. I just bought a Les Baer Super Match. It's pricey but the test target has a 5 shot group measuring about 1/4" at 100 yards. The other 5 shot group is just a little bigger. I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow to break it in and start working with the scope.
Dennis D. Carter

Posts: 68 | Location: Fairfax,VA, | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing lays waste to a dog town faster than an AR-15 varminter with a box full of loaded 20 round magazines. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the CZ 527 with a 26 inch bull barrel.

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a very slightly used M700 VLS in 223 with a BSA scope on it (not my choice of scope, but it will work for now). When I picked it up yesterday, I immediately took it to the range with a box of factory Winchester 45gr Varmint loads to test it. I plan to reload, but just don't have the dies yet. Anyway, I started at 50yds just to see if I was on paper. It was a little low, but shot one hole. I adjusted the scope and moved to 100yds. Group at that range was 3/4". Tried 200yds and the 5 shot group was 0.9". This is with factory loads! Can't wait until I start load development. I also forgot to mention that the trigger was still factory and never adjusted. 10-12 lbs of pull sucks for target shooting, so I'm guessing the groups would've been a little tighter if I didn't need a block and tackle to squeeze one off. I adjusted it last night and look forward to my next visit. Bottom line: the VLS is a great shooter out of the box with its 1/12 twist. They aren't too expensive and look great. I was originally leaning toward the Savage 12BVSS, but just couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Remington. Don't regret my decision one bit and would have no problems recommending it to you.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will second the thoughts on the Howa 1500 heavy barrel. This is quite the gun for the money; and if the stock is not to your liking, you can buy the barreled action and drop it into a reasonable selection of stocks - Boyd makes the stock for Howa, and may have some additional offerings that are drop-in fits.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
And I'll second Bigdaddytacp's motion, only in the VS version, once I got the trigger adjusted(self taught)it shoots the Remington 50PLs about as good as anything else, high 2s and low 3s at it's best that is, avg. is probably 1/2" or so, I did put a Jewell trigger(9oz)on it a few months ago that used to be on my 6mm, since I'll be shooting it at praire dogs and want the utmost control. Jay

Jethro, Good luck with the BSA [Eek!]

[ 10-11-2003, 19:02: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank:

Take a look at a Winchester Model 70 Stealth. Very accurate, 26" barrel, 1/9 twist. [Wink]

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
Nothing lays waste to a dog town faster than an AR-15 varminter with a box full of loaded 20 round magazines. [Big Grin]

I know it's a rifle so I am all for it in one way.

But those AR's give me the creeps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
try a cooper. you will not be dissapointed....
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ONe thing about the 223: DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A BAD 223 on the market??

Manufacturers have really tweaked them. No one mentioned the Ruger VT. I own several, along with a Remington 700 VLS, a Winchester Model 70 and a custom barreled Ruger with a One in 8 twist PacNor barrel on it.

Just got a Savage 12BVSS for a handicapped friend ( with the accu trigger). No loosers in anyone of them.

Also bought a Howa Synthetic stock one for a nephew as a present a few years ago. Dynamite shooter also.

Have no personal experience, but have only seen happy campers at the range with the CZ, and Tikka rifles in 223.

If only other calibers offered the accuracy across the board that manufacturers offer in 223 and 22/250. [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don,t over look the CZ varmnit model 527.It has h&s kevlar stock 1 to 9 twist rate in the 223 cal.Paid $669 for mine new.Nice accurate rifle for the money.

Posts: 3 | Location: Mich | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:

I know it's a rifle so I am all for it in one way.

But those AR's give me the creeps.

Why???? [Confused]

Once you shoot a tricked out, accurized, AR-15-based varminter or match rifle, you quickly get past the looks.

-
Love the onion. [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
Bought the Savage Model 12FVSS a few months ago. Stainless with a heavy, fluted barrel, black synthetic stock, and Accu-trigger. I like black synthetic stocks much better than wood ones. So far, all I've shot through it have been UMC 55 gr Metal Case ammo, which gave me ~1 inch at 100 yards. I really like the Accu-trigger! Light, crisp break with no creep.

The heavy barrel is a little clumsy to carry around in the woods. However, most of my shooting will be at varmints so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Posts: 13 | Location: California | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote