THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    85gr TSX, .243Win, & Varget - Anyone Loaded This?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

85gr TSX, .243Win, & Varget - Anyone Loaded This?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was wondering if anyone has loaded the 85gr TSX's & Varget in the .243Win? Looking for some real world feed back.

Barnes doesn't list Varget for the 85gr XBT in .243Win (Barnes says use XBT data for TSX), but does list 35-39 grains of Varget for the Barnes 85 grain XLC BT coated bullets. And they specifically state that XLC data cannot be used for any other bullets.

Why wouldn't Varget also work well with the 85gr TSX's?

Loading the 85gr TSX's in new Lapua brass, Fed 210M Match primers, with Vit 160 & H4350(per Barnes manual) for a M7 .243 Youth rifle right now.

Thanks.

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
some ideas?
ct, I see no one must shoot that combo?
I use the 90 barnes moly with varget 37gr, mag primer. shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds.
3" groups at 500.
also use sierra 85gr hpbt moly . 37.9 grains varget mag primer.
around 1/2" groups at 100yrs.
Have not tested these at long range.
with the 85 gr bullets and varget you can start a grain or two under 37 and work up.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience Varget gives excellent velocity and accuracy with projectiles up to 75 gns in weight . Quite possible that it will shoot heavier pills accurately but definitely not as quickly as slower powders .
Do a bit of research on load density and you will find that it is generally considered best to use a powder charge that almost completely fills the case to the base of the bullet . You'll struggle to get anywhere near this with Varget and an 85gn bullet in the .243 .
Have tried both and I prefer H4350 for 80 - 87gn projectiles as it gives both good velocity and accuracy . Use of a slower burning single base powder like H4350 should extend barrel life too .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 85gr. bullets in my .243Win and 6mmRem. I also use them is the slightly larger diameter .25-06, and larger yet 6.5x55. I do use Varget but not with that weight bullet. Varget has a lot of competition in this range with IMR4064, IMR4895, and Rel-19, and othes, yet I'm sure it will work very well. I guess it's whatever we get used to that shoots well.
Incidently I do use Varget in other calibers and like it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bushcook

quote:
In my experience Varget gives excellent velocity and accuracy with projectiles up to 75 gns in weight . Quite possible that it will shoot heavier pills accurately but definitely not as quickly as slower powders .
Do a bit of research on load density and you will find that it is generally considered best to use a powder charge that almost completely fills the case to the base of the bullet . You'll struggle to get anywhere near this with Varget and an 85gn bullet in the .243 .
Have tried both and I prefer H4350 for 80 - 87gn projectiles as it gives both good velocity and accuracy .

That very good advice over the years I've come to that same conclusion.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
bushcook

quote:
Have tried both and I prefer H4350 for 80 - 87gn projectiles as it gives both good velocity and accuracy .

That is very good advice over the years I've come to that same conclusion.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Varget for a year now in my 7mmo8 with 140TSXs and just loaded some 120TSXs and I get 3/8 groups with both. Not sure why it doesn't work well in a 243 with a heavier bullet. Same brass volume.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Barnes TSX 85 gr ahead of 46 gr.VV N160 and get really nice groupings and good results, nailed a nice doe this past Dec. with that combination.
Typical TSX performance-chest shot-pass through- dead deer after a single bound.
Use Varget in 22-250 and like it a lot but have not tried it with Barnes 85.
Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dwight ,
Your 7mm barrel has a much greater internal volume than a 6mm barrel . This allows pressure created by fast burning powder to build up more slowly .
Big cases with small bores require slower powders than the same case with a larger bore . Heavier bullets in all calibres require slower powders than lighter bullets .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushchook,
Thanks for the info. That may be why my most accurate load is a 160 gr using H4350EXT.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M70 Featherweight and my son-in-laws Tikka both prefer Varget over H4350 for the TSX. I'm using 38gr., he's using 39. I was a bit worried about the bullet not opening up on smaller animals till I shot a coyote broadside, and got an inch dia. hole coming out. He fell backwards into a washout and that is where I found him. S-i-l shot two does and had terrific luck. Just a great combination.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote