THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Powder for 95g V-Max & the 260 Rem

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for 95g V-Max & the 260 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use the 95g V-Max for my varmint/plinking load. Thus, I want it as accurate as possible. I've had some success with slower powders in my 260 AI. Here is what has worked best so far:

IMR-4350 49.0g 1/2" groups
H-4350 50.0g .82" (1 5-shot group, very windy with target moving)
Hunter 49.0g 7/16" (1 3-shot group)

None of the above have been shot over a cronograph. I would think the H-4350 load is the fastest (need to shoot this load on a calm day......the target was shaking back and forth while shooting this group). I have shot the H-4350 load listed above with the 100g Nosler Partition and it gets 3,280 fps out of my 22" barrel (3,340 fps out of the same barrel when it was 24" long). I've used the IMR-4350 load above with the 100g Sierra HP and it shot at 3,140 fps out of my 22" barrel (3,161 fps when the barrel was 24" long). I would guess my velocities to be about the same with the 95g V-max.

I'm fairly happy with the loads listed above. (I want to play more with the Hunter load as it meters so well it would throw charges consistently). However, I've thought that a nice load with a faster powder might heat the barel up less and be slightly more economical. So far I've tried RL-15 and IMR-4064. Best groups with RL-15 were with a 45.0g charge: 3,236 fps and 3/4" groups (haven't tested a heavier charge). Best groups with IMR-4064 were 43.5g - 44.0g. Before I shortened my rifle barrel the 43.5g load ran at 3,333 fps and shot about 1" groups. I haven't crono'd the load since I shortened the barrel. Some of these groups will be 1/2" and the next group 1".......or 2 touching and 1 shot 1" away. This load gets such good velocity I wish I could get it to shoot consistently. One thing I noted looking back through my notes is that all the 4064 testing was done while fire-forming cases. Not sure if this makes a difference of not......the IMR-4350 load I listed above shoots great while fire-forming.

All loads shot using Fed 210M primers.

Do you have a suggestion for my 4064 load? Is their another fast powder that gets good velocity with the Vmax?

I noticed that Hodgden shows great velocity with the Vmax using Benchmark. I have tried Benchmark with the 100g HP. 43.5g ran at 3,290 fps (24" barrel) and shot a 1/2" group and only 12 fps between high and low velocity (5 shots). Probably should try BM with the 95g Vmax. Maybe shortening the barrel would have little affect on this fast powder.

Sorry about the ramble....but would appreciate your thoughts.

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 95 gr Vmax is such a sweet bullet out of a 260. I shot hundreds of them before something happened to my barrel. I think it was the crown and rather than do it over and loose the 'factory' look I sold the gun. All in all it was a lot of fun with the 3300+ fps and some of the best accuracy I have ever seen out of a sporter.

I used RL 15. Rather than give the load I would just suggest that you work up a load with the 4064 that you have now. While I bought RL 15 by the 5 lb bottle I am having second thoughts about it vrs 4064. My next large container may be 4064.

Much of the time with load development its the bedding or something is loose so question everything not that it's not fun to play with loads.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40gr of IMR-4064. 5 shot ragged dot accuracy from my 40xb

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I made one mistake in my first post, the load with 49.0g of Hunter used a Fed 215M primer instead of a 210M.

BTW, the Hodgdon Annual Manual shows 43.5g of BenchMark 3,391 fps from a 24" barrel using the 95g V-Max. I would be very happy with a load that used 43.5g of powder, shot around 3,300 fps, and shot around 1/2" groups. That is exactly what I'm after. Not sure I can get 3,300 fps from my 22" barrel since the 100g Partition shot 3,290 fps when the barrel was 24" long.

Sure seems wild that tha Annual Manual shows 3,391 fps using 43.5g BenchMark but only 3,225 fps using 40.8g of H-4895......slower powder and less of a charge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Rather than give the load I would just suggest that you work up a load with the 4064 that you have now.

Are you saying use the load I have now (roughly 1" groups while fireforming) or tweak it? Would you try a different primer.......which one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
So much depends on both the conditions and requirements. For instance if your testing was done with a hot barrel is that the way your going to fire the first shot at game?

Each rifle is an individual. Work up a load thats best then vary the seating depth and maybe the primers. Drop the load some if changing primers and work back up.

A one MOA group is fine for three shots from a sporter. With light guns bench technique matters a lot they say.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No shooting was done with a hot barrel.

I have a very lightweight stock on the rifle. It's a Lone Wolf Summit at 19 oz including bedding. I think the bedding is ok or it wouldn't shoot as well as it does. I'm sure I could improve my groups with a heavier stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
40gr of IMR-4064. 5 shot ragged dot accuracy from my 40xb

I walk this load up to 43.5 grains in my 260s, with this bullet and the 90 grain TNT, the 100 grain bullets from Hornady, Nosler and Sierra...

MV is about 3350 fps in a 22 inch barrel and 3450 fps out of my 26 inch barreled Rem VLS...

work up just in case, but no pressure problems in any of my rifles over the last 7 yrs..

on the Hodgdon Benchmark Max load, I have never been able to reach their published max, without consistently blowing primers, so I would stay away from that load...

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

In my 260 AI I have been able to shoot 43.5g of BenchMark with a 100g Sierra HP. It shot 3,290 fps in my 24" barrel. Maybe it works because my case is AI'd. I get 15 fps more velocity from the 95g V-Max than I do the 100g Nosler Partion using 43.5g of IMR-4064. With my 2" shorter barrel I would guess I would get about 3,275 fps using a 43.5g charge of BenchMark under the V-Max. That load had single digit std dev and cloverleafed with the 100g HP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 is certainly the best consistent load in my 260s, with anything from an 85 grains HP Sierra to the 107 grain Sierra.. and any bullet weight in between...

Mine are straight factory 260s, two Ruger Stainless Steel ones and a Rem VLS....

Many of my favorite powders don't beat the 4064 load with those lighter weight bullets... for accuracy or velocity...

I use other powders for other bullet weights at times.. but strictly stick with 4064 with 100 grain bullets or less...

While I like V Maxes, the 95 grain is the least accurate and the one with the most potential pressure problems of any other bullet I load in 6.5 mm...

I migrated to the 90 grain TNT from Speer instead...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what do you think about the 90 TNT from Speer? What kind of BC does it have? How does it compare to the 85g and 100g HP from Sierra?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is in between the two... it is more explosive on smaller game than the two.. If I was shooting coyote for pelt, the 100 grain Sierra would be my first choice...

It seems to do quite well out to 350 yds, which is as far as I push it, as my scope on the VLS is limited to 4.5 x 14

The other Ruger 260s, one wears a Leupold 3 x 9 with a target dot reticle and the other wears a 4 power Weaver, and it is normally loaded with 140 grain bullets at 2400 fps, for close in hunting for larger game...

one of us
posted Hide Post
My light rifle wears a Leupold 2-7 33 VX2 which really balance nice. It's mounted in Talley lightweight mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try 32 grains of H322 with the 95 grain V-Max.

Smiler

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 September 2006Reply With Quote