Find
Notify
Tools

Best Value AR15 Style?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted
I hope this isn't one of those topics. But, having a .375 H&H, a 30-06 (both M70's) I'm thinking about a .223/6.5 to complete my "3-guns-for-all-game" set.
I'd be interested in opinions on the best value in an AR15-style rifle. I'm looking at Stag Arms & Bushmaster, but am open to other considerations.
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Join here:
http://www.ar15.com/

That will kepp you busy for awhileSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had the Bushmaster Varmint with the heavy stainless barrel and the competition trigger. If I remember correctly it also had a special Hogue pistol grip and a special forearm that was round. Accurracy was impeccable and operations was without fault. I feel Bushmaster is as good as any of the AR15's around today. The Varmint was a little long and heavy and I think I would actually have been happier with a shorter model. I traded a short model in on it and don't regret it but the shorty WAS handier. Accurracy was definitely better with the Varminter and also the trigger. Only thing I reccommend is to definitely get a flat top with a round forearm. I prefer the collapsable stock also. Have had NO luck with the Ruger Mini14 at all. I just cannot get adequate varmint accurracy out of them. I DO NOT load for 223 just shoot whatever is on sale cheeply at the time. Right now I have a Remington 7615POLICE which is a pump with 16" barrel and black plastic buttstock and forearm. It is modified for AR15 magazines and is black phosphate type finish. I have a Leupold VariXIII 1.5x5 on it and it definitely shoots an inch with whatever is on sale. The ones in the catalog have a pistol grip buttstock which might be even better. If I still had a truck this would definitely be my truck gun. It is utility supreme. I am definitely satisfied with it. It replaced my Bushmaster.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like bushmaster I had one, its OK but not great. I like my Rock River arms gun. I also like chromed barrels and chambers, for this type of gun unless you are specifically buying it for varment shooting, a chrome lined bore and chamber makes a lot of sense.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River Arms varmint version. Surplus ammo shoots MOA and the 4 or 5 bullets I've handloaded for shoot submoa.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For off the shelf, RockRiver or Bushmaster are hard to beat for the bucks. Remington now offering the 15 platform, but it is a slightly modified Bushmaster, but still a good value. If you want the best, take a look at Compass Lake Engineering, Mr. Frank White. He will build you a complete gun or just upper, but you can rest assured the quality is there. Krieger barrels plus Compass Lake's machine work produces a fine rifle in all respects. You will see a bunch of them at the firing line at Camp Perry each year. You will also see a bunch of Rock River service rifle styles as well, but believe Compass Lake is a step up. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Lot's of choices in the AR15 universe.

We need to know what you are going to do with it. There are literally thousands of possible configurations for AR rifles.

My first AR15 has a Stag lower with a A2 stock and a CMMG flat top 20" govt profile barrel. The CMMG barrel is 1/7 twist to stabilize heavy bullets.

I can put on the carry handle sight if I choose to for close up shooting or I can use my Larue QD mount and a big honkin scope and get waaaay out there if needed.

This setup will get out to 400 yards if I don't guzzle too much coffee. I like this setup for hiking around. Even with a bipod and scope it's fairly light. The downside is the govt profile barrel heats up fast.

AR #2 is a build. It has a Del Ton 16" heavy barrel w/ a carbine gas system., Fulton Armory slickside upper, Youngs NM carrier and LMT bolt. Lower is a Stag lower and 6 position stock. This is my HD and bumming around gun.

You might want to look at buying the upper and lower separately. You'll save the 11% federal excise tax by buying the gun in pieces and putting together at home.

Be careful. One black rifle usually leads to more.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:

ZM

And the build it yourself syndrome!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:

ZM

And the build it yourself syndrome!

Yep. This one started as a flat top. Now it's a slickside.

It's tough to resist a rifle that a guy can build in the garage in an hour.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup! Depends what you want it for. I have a Colt HBAR off the shelf. Sub 1" at 100 yards, sub 2" at 200. I also have two Bushmasters, a Bullpup (on the heavy side) and a carbon fibre one, much lighter and handier, but not as accurate as the HBAR. I have a red dot on the carbon gun. I have mixed emotions on the Bushmasters. For the price they should be trouble free, but neither of mine were.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO ; For the money BushMasters are hard to beat !.

I've got # 2 colts # 2 XM E2S BushMasters and a Piece together .20" Target specials chrome bores

The one BushMaster is Just that THE MASTER !.

25.5 BlC-2 with almost any 55 grain pill .375" most all day long . With 68-70 grain pills H335 or BlC-2 it's done #15 at .312". Now at 200 yd. it stretches out to a disappointing .685" for # 15 shots.

Firing one fowler for the first shooting secession for the day . 1-2 minutes between rounds so as to keep bore some what cooler . Break change targets after the #15 . Repeat .
I don't even have target scopes on them , the Master has a Atec 2.8X10 Simmons so go figure .
I'm afraid to change the scope for fear of screwing up accuracy pattern .

None of my Bolt guns will do this nor will either Colt .
I can only go by what my targets show .

As everyone knows it depends on if you were lucky and got a Great good or serviceable weapon from any manufacturer !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Try these guys...

Go Here

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSE has 'em on sale at $85 each ... and they are NOT Model1Sales!

http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Just got into the AR scene myself. I bought a Rock River NM A2 for just over $1100 and couldn't be happier. Load development has been a bitch however, quality hand loads all seem to shoot sub-MOA and it's hard to decide which one to use.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Look at:

Stag
Bushmaster
Armalite
S&W
Sabre Defense
Double-Star

CMMG makes one of the best ARs out there. They can be optioned out anyway you want. However CMMG is experiencing severe growing pains with long wait times and messed up orders.

If you want to save a buck take a good look at Del Ton. I can vouch for them personally. Good stuff at competitive prices and excellent customer service.

If you like RRA, order from a vendor that has what you want in stock. Ordering directly from RRA means higher prices and wait times in the 3-6 month range.

If you want a 6.8SPC, the best choice is Kotonics.

Do not under any circumstances buy a Oly Arms, Blackthorne, Hesse/Vulcan gun. They have the worst reputation among the AR community.

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems that there are really only a relatively few actual makers of lowers. The following info from another board is interesting:

here are only a few manufactures of lowers.

LMT = LMT, Lauer(old), DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett, Bushmaster (?)
CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske (old), Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI (1st batch), Wilson Tactical, (some?) Colt, Ratworx
LAR = Grizzly, Bushmaster (L Prefix), Ameetech, (?)DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, Spike's Tactical, Noveske (new)
MMS = Mega, Gunsmoke, Dalphon, POF (forged), Alexander Arms, Stinger, Spike's Tactical(old)
JVP = Double Star, LRB
Olympic = Olypmic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century
Superior = Superior Arms, Lauer (current)
Grenadier Precision
Sabre Defense

I would have to agree that Oly is not one I would want. Seen too many that did not feed well.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i just bought a DPMS lower for my colt surplus upper. it'll be a good runner once i get an offset bushing to mate the large pin upper with the small pin lower. my dad has two SP1 colts, both great guns, one shot a bunch and one unfired!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by almostacowboy:
I'd be interested in opinions on the best value in an AR15-style rifle. Dave
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
GSE has 'em on sale at $85 each ... and they are NOT Model1Sales!

http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/
That's a great deal if you only want a lower, however I believe he is looking for an entire weapon.

I have seen two of the "kits" from Model 1 Sales that a friend put together and both shot very well.
One was a 16" HB varmint, the other had a 20" HB, but otherwise the same gun.

I hope if you spend more money, you are happy with the result.
An AR after all is really only a barrel, a bolt, a fire control system and a way to keep these parts from falling to the ground...

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, very much. For the curious, I'll probably be using it on coyotes and smaller.
Man, compared to this, buying my Buffalo gun (M70 .375 H&H) was a breeze! This is gonna be fun! Big Grin
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the picture of the 3 AR's, the left hand one has something attached to the bottom of the Pistol Grip.

Could someone tell me what it is and what it is for ?

And where do you get them ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Go Here

It helps with recoil, keeps your hand on the grip and it gives support when you bag it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou.

I am normally good at finding things in Google Searches.

Thanks again.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My .02, look for one with the stainless 1X8 twist barrels, haven't had a problem yet with any of the bullets up to 80gr. FWIW, the standard "factory" barrels haven't turned out very well for me except 1 1X7 colt HB that shot sub .5 MOA.

Posts: 8 | Location: Louisiana, the state I'm in | Registered: 01 April 2008Reply With Quote