Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 fireball reloads
 Login/Join

posted
does anyone have any pet loads for the 17 fireball,i have 25 and 20hornadyvmaxbullets and h4198,reloader 7,imr 4895 and acc 2230 powder.my rifle is a rem700vsf.so far the best i have done is about 1inch at 100yds,perhaps there is something about the 17 i do not know.i am using rcbs full length sizer die.i have a neck sizer on the way,will have this thing wore out before long

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've posted often about this round, try a few of them and see what comes up. I prefer ehavier bullets myself, 30gr

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No "magic" bullets in 17 cal. either. You will have to try several until you find one your rifle likes. Then build a load for it.
I have a 17 Mach IV, the Fireball's granddaddy. I went thru several Berger's, Calhoon"s and Hornady's until I found the 17 v-max 20 grain. My best accuracy is loaded to about 3800 fps. On paper it will print 3/8" to 1/2" groups.
I have "match" prepped the cases.
Have installed a great trigger.
Practiced a lot.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum..

I'd advocate for RL 7 and the 20 grain V Max...

tested 15 powders with this bullet and the most accurate was RL 7....

in defense of the 17 Fireball...almost ALL powders I tested it with did real well with that bullet...just Rl 7 was consistently the best grouper tho...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H 4198 and 20 V nmax in mine

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Erict,

I have not had any experience with the Remington 700 VTR.

However I have had excellent results with the 17 fireball in the Model 7 predator and the VSF. I also have the LVSF in the 17 Remington and 221 Fireball. All will shoot under an inch at 100 yds. Should do you proud out to 200 on coyotes.

Lets see,
My go to load in the past has been 18 gr. of Reloader 10x over a 20 gr. Hornady VMax at 1.810 oal. in my Remington model 7 Predator, with excellent results I might add.

This is a Remington 700 VSF in 17 fireball. Here is a load it seems to like with the 23gr. Woodchuck Den Gold., 2015-BR powder and a1.805 OAL 3 shots, 100 yds. Not the highest velocity, but pretty good in the accuracy dept.

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey GW....

Hot Bore wanted to know how that 17 Fireball does for Elk?

He is just not getting enough oooomph out of his 17 HMR on them...

he shot the neighbor's mule, thinking it was an elk, and all it did was piss off his neighbor and the mule... Mad

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
Being a flatlander from the gulf coast of Texas, we don't see many elk wanderin loose down here. I called the zoo to see if they would let me try out my fireball on an elk, but they said no.
I have killed deer and hogs with my 20 tactical and 40 gr. v-maxes. Considering our "big" hill country deer usually gross less than 160 lbs. It shouldn't be to much of a stretch to use a 204 Ruger on elk. I don't know if I'd try a "Texas Heart Shot?" though.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
19.0-19.3 grains of Accurate 2230 and the 25 grain VMax's should find your sweet spot with the Remington. In testing, I really don't find it makes much difference if it's a CCI-BR4, Federal Match 205M or Remington 7 1/2 BR or whatever primer you have handy! My rifle is running the chonograph up to 3895fps with these combos and accuracy is consistently .6 or less for five shots...........end result with critters is SUDDEN DEATH!! Try the A2230 out, you might like it!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote