New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a 25.06 load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi fellas....I am new to the reloading scene..I am working on a 25.06....bout to make a possible trade on it...anyway....I would like to use this on deer and elk,no more than 250 yards...mainly deer and the odd "yote" if around....
Here is what I have so far;
IMR4831
SPEER 100 gr in hollow point and SP boattail
NOSLER 115 gr ballistic tip
I managed to get a really good deal on this stuff,was the only reason I bought it

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good load with these items,or should I buy something different all together....thanks

Bob

Posts: 37 | Location: Kootenays | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well what you got will do you for deer, but you might have your eyes bug out of your head when you see what those Ballistic Tips will do to a deer, it will kill it alright but you might loose a bit more meat than you are comfortable with.
The Speer bullets hould be OK but i have no experience with either of those, I suspect that a bad angle shot and things might not go so well. I am a big fan of the Nosler partition bullet 100's or 115's would be fine, and might all time favorite is the 100r. Barnes TSX.
IMR 4831 will work good for you buy a good manual or two and work up your loads cautiously.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the Barnes TSX work pretty good on deer then eh.........can always buy some of them....what would you recommend for a suitable powder....I picked up all of this stuff for $75,which I thought was pretty good as compared to their regular prices........I can alwys reload this stuff and just blast it off for playing around with anyway............if ya have a good load or a good idea..I am all ears Wink...thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chola:
So the Barnes TSX work pretty good on deer then eh.........can always buy some of them....what would you recommend for a suitable powder....I picked up all of this stuff for $75,which I thought was pretty good as compared to their regular prices........I can alwys reload this stuff and just blast it off for playing around with anyway............if ya have a good load or a good idea..I am all ears Wink...thanks

For use with the 100 gr. Speer bullet try 56.0 gr. of IMR 4831 for about 3,200 fps.. For the 115 gr. Ballistic Tips try 53.6 gr. of the IMR powder. Personally I shoot Barnes 100 gr. TSX bullets in all of my .257 caliber rifles. We used the TSX bullet this year for deer and Wild Boar hunting in five different .25 caliber rifles. All deer taken were one shot kills. The powder I am using now in my .25-06 is RE 22. I am changing over to TSX bullets in all my rifles no matter what the caliber. My opinion of the Speer and Ballistic Tip bullets you got; use them up for practice and load up with either Partitions or Barnes TSX bullets for all hunting. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
right on thumb.........thanks Lawdog...just what I was looking for Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chola, I will list below my favorite 25-06 loads for the bullet weights you are interested in.

I prefer the 100 grain Nosler Partition and for that bullet I use 54 grains of IMR 4831 over a standard large rifle primer.

For the 115 grain Ballistic Tip I use 54 grains of IMR 7828 powder and a Fed 215M primer.

You could just use IMR 4831 for both bullet weights by working up to a maximum load of 52 grains of IMR 4831 behind the 115 Ballistic Tip.

Hope this helps, R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the 120 Hornady HP was designed just for larger game. It is not a varmint bullet as one might think. Maybe best to check with "the horses mouth" at Hornady, but I am pretty sure about it.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote