Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
If I were to use the standard SAAMI 6.5x284 would it be wise to throat it? It appears that the .290 throat is a popular option. I plan on shooting 130 and 140 grain bullets. Deer and long range plinking. Would the same apply to a standard .284 win?

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Norma 6.5x284 SAAMI has OAL @ 3.310" loaded neck dia @ .297. Bryant Custom build my 6.5x284 throated it for the 140/142gr bullets with 290 neck. http://www.bryantcustom.com/ he's in Wheeler,TX

I turned necks when I shot BR so no big deal for me. Best to check with your gunsmith and see what reamers he has and he can throated for what bullets you want to shoot. I think with good laupa brass you could do a no turn neck. You might want to buy some brass load up acouple rds and compare that neck dia to his reamer then decide. Well good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I had my neck cut to .298" which is .002" larger than the loaded Lapua brass so I don't have to turn necks.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote