THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I picked up my new 12F today!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I picked up my new 12F today!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted
I picked up my new 12F today from my FFL. It's been sitting there a week while I was on vacation. I ordered an action & stock from Jim at Northland, plus a McGowen barrel in 6.5x284 from him as well.

Here's the pics...

As unwrapped before assembly:

After installing and headspacing the barrel... (I'm getting really good at this, it took me longer to round up the tools than to do the job).

I still don't have a base and rings yet... Can't decide on which ones I want...

???

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Slim, That is going to ROCK, wow I need another F class rifle now...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A lot of the guys who shoot 1000 yard events at my range use that round. Have you concerned about what some say is shortened throat life with the 6.5X284 round?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Sako,

Well, they're probably willing to make more of them...

Big Grin

I didn't even try the factory Savage barrel. I've had too many issues with them lately... So I found out Jim at Northland Shooters Supply would order me one in, pull the barrel, and sell me the action and stock combo for a discount. I also bought and had a McGowen barrel shipped with it when it came in.

Rusty,

I've heard that too. I've also heard that the 140 gr bullets, Berger, Sierra, etc seem more stable if shot in the 2900-2950 fps range. This would in effect be "throttling back" the Norma chambering a bit. Maybe that will help extend the life some?

If not, and the barrel shoots good, there's plenty of meat in it to cut it back and rechamber a couple of times...

I've also heard that the 6.5 x 47 Lapua is "easier" on throats? I could always cut it back and chamber to that if I had to.

I'll probably just run it as is and start counting rounds and see how she goes...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
You will definitely like the chambering you selected for long range shooting. As to barrel/throat life, it is somewhat of a short life, most get somewhere in the area of 1000-1300 rnds out of one, but as you say and especially w/ the Savage you can switch out the barrel easily for a new barrel or recut the original one. I don't know about two times recutting, but one for sure. Most of us in my area use the Sierra 142's, but some do use other brands, but Sierra pretty much dominates. I have no experience with your barrel mfg., but do with Krieger and Douglas and throat life is about the same for either. I shot 300WinMag for some years and got even less throat life, but believe the 284x6.5 is pretty much state of the art at this time. Glad to see Savage catering to long range shooters with this offering and am sure it will work well.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote