THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Savage Model 12 in 6mm Norma BR

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 12 in 6mm Norma BR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Still am looking for a new toy and being a lefty this rifle would be easy to operate from the bench. I know this is not a serious bench rest rifle but I am just looking for a very accurate toy where I do not have to use custom dies, turn necks, etc.
http://www.savagearms.com/12mo...isisionvarminter.htm

Anyone here own one of these? All feedback would be appreciated.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
no I don't own one.. although I own several Savage Actions with multiple barrels for them...

If I was in the buying mode... believe me, this would be at the very top of my list!

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with this rifle. It is somewhat of a semi-custom product from Savage.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
The description reads "right bolt, right port", where do you see that it's a lefty?

bewildered

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didnt. Said it would be easy for a lefty to operate from the bench. For the same reason some righties now choose a lefty bolt and sometimes opposite ports.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No cheekpiece on the stock so works well from either side.

I've been around quite a few of these rifles and all were tack drivers.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be here next week. If this god forsaken place ever warms up I'll post some shooting results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Decided to go with the 4 shot repeater. Rifle came in today and I am impressed. Very nice stock with a wide forearm for hugging the bag. Trigger is nice but could be lighter (can't they all?). Bolt travel is extremely smooth, unlike Savages I've owned in the past. Still waiting for the scope mount to come in from Brownells so the Sightron 6x24 can be mounted and head out to the range.
Hope I am not being premature but this is one nice rifle for about $900 delivered.
Seems to fit me very well for shooting off the bags as I am a lefty and this is a right bolt, right port action. Stock has no cheekpiece.

Picked up a set of Redding Dies that take the sizing bushings as well as their seating die that uses a micrometer to measure the seating depth. Have some Lapua brass and will not turn it and see what she can do. It has the 1-12 twist so will concentrate on bullets weighing 65-80 grains.

Hopefully one of these days I can report back with some shooting results to see if this project is worth while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,
If its anything like the 10FCP in .308 win I picked up recently, it will be a pretty good shooter. First time out with mine @ 100 yds, using handloads of several flavors developed for other rifles it shot cloverleaf groups.

I loaded some 165 gr. sierra HPBT's as they are usually pretty accurate and kill deer and hogs pretty dead. First two tries at two hundered it did this....

first group @200

2nd group @ 200 after adjustment for zero

In the past I've made the comment that if the only thing I was interested in was accuracy, I would own lots of Savages. However this 10FCP looks as good as it shoots.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage model 12F in 6.5-.284. It was my first Savage so I did'nt know what to expect, I was sure the first thing I was going to do was replace the accutrigger with a Jewel...then I shot it. Its the most accurate rifle I own, my best five shot group off a bench is a half inch. The trigger can be adjusted down to six ounces. For the money it can't be beat!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't edit, that five shot group was at 200 yards shot with a Harris bi-pod.