THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .223 search ended with a .300 AAC Blackout

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 search ended with a .300 AAC Blackout
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had to have an MRI in town and drove by a new Gander Mtn. That is some store. Never seen so many guns in one place. I've read a bit about the .300 Blackout but don't have reloading dies and have not really given it much thought. Gander Mtn had a Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a threaded barrel. Loved the feel of the gun. My suppresor stamp for my .308 is due back anytime now as it has been about 7 months since they cashed my $200.00 check. The can should work just fine on this new gun. As of October 2013, it will be legal to hunt in NC with a can.

For those interested, Remington has a $40.00 factory rebate going on some models of their guns. This is one of the factors that tipped me over the edge. Now all I need is ammo, dies, brass, bullets and who knows what else with a new caliber. All I need is money. Big Grin.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you purchased the correct rifle for your situation.

Be sure to post some pictures!

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Blackout is an interesting cartridge especially with a can. I have a friend that wouldn't shut up about it for about a year, he's finally stopped talking about it. The tactical group can be real fanatical about their cartridges. Need proof, go to the 6.8 forum.

Good luck with you new rifle. I saw them on gun broker, neat rifle.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend ship a rifle to me for transfer and even though it is a cheap little single shot, it's really a pretty cool little package. It's the H&R Handi-rifle in 300 Blackout with a 16 1/2" bbl and threaded 5/8-24 at the muzzle. I shot it with a can and it was neat to say the least.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My problem now is ammo. I had no idea 300 Blackout rounds were so pricy. I have a set of Lee reloading dies on the way and a bare minimum brass and bullets to get started.

Anyone heard of Cooper Cartridge Company?

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deltam:
My problem now is ammo. I had no idea 300 Blackout rounds were so pricy. I have a set of Lee reloading dies on the way and a bare minimum brass and bullets to get started.

take a 223, One pass through the FL die with guts removed, rough trim and final trim, presto 300 BLK. Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
quote:

take a 223, One pass through the FL die with guts removed, rough trim and final trim, presto 300 BLK. Adam

I'm a little slow Smiler What is a FL die? I have a case trimmer and deburring tool so understand the rest. I also have bunches of .223 brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FL die is a full length sizing die. Is an easy process though a bit time consuming. Handloading the ammo is the only way to go!

With a bolt gun there is little chance of losing brass so the work goes further. ;-)

Have killed deer w 220 gr SMK at 1025 fps with an SAS Ti Arbiter can on a 1:8 twist 16" barreled AR. Projectile upset and came out the other side sideways. DRT.

My rifle does less than 1 moa at 100 yards.

I think the 300 BLK is a 150 - 175 yard rifle ... but that is plenty. I have a 6.8 that uses the same can for longer ranges.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I built a project gun. AR upper, bult as a pistol, in 300 BLK. It is just the cat's ass. 247gr cast GC bullet at 1055 +/- fps. Think 44 Magnum cast load power MV and ME, but 30 of them in an AR magazine.

www.Bradswarehouse.com makes brass pretty reasonable. Disabled Iraqi Combat Vet, so he is a good guy. I have a YHM 9mm Cobra II suppressor on mine, works great!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are several people selling 300BLK brass that is converted from once fired LC military or commercial brass on several of the forum sites. Much cheaper than factory if you don't want to do the work yourself.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote