THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Price Check: 1978 Remington 700 Varmint

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price Check: 1978 Remington 700 Varmint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The local gun shop has a Remington 700 Varmint/heavy barrel 1978 production .22-250. The gun is in cherry condition. I checked the rifling, bolt face, chamber and crown and see there was very little use of the gun. It has the classic black end capped wood stock with raised comb. The dealer wants $499, but said he would "work with me".

Like always, I want the gun, but don't want to be had. Comparing prices to more current BDL versions, I think $300 is more reasonable.

Also, I read a few articles that stated there was a defect in the safety mechanism that would cause the gun to fire when the safety was released. Remington has a recall on guns from 1978 to 1983 for this problem. I might be able to use this point of fact as a negotiation tool. Later I could return the rifle to Remongton to have it corrected. What do you all think.

Also again, I noticed the rifle didn't have a recessed crown. The rifling stopped flat, but evenly without wear or damage. Any comments on this?

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, things like this kind of come under the ol what will the market pay. For me I'd say the middle of the road there is in the park of what I'd pay for that gun ($400).

Around here that gun would go fairly quick at that kind of a price. If $300 was available then there would be a lot of fellas knocking you down to get at it.

Just my thoughts.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Things like this kind of come under the ol what will the market pay".

Indeed, my thoughts also. I mean't to say I'd offer $400, not the $300 I stated earlier. With that said, i shouldn;t have too much of a problem.

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote