THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    24" or 26" Barrel on a 22-250?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

24" or 26" Barrel on a 22-250?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the pondering phase of buying another 22-250. Of the 2 rifles I have narrowed down to, one has a 24" heavy stainless barrel and the other has a 26" heavy stainless barrel. My question is this: Is it absolutely necessary to use a 26" barrel with this cartridge to really reap all its benefits? Or is the little velocity/accuracy loss insignificant when using the 24" barrel? Both are considered accurate guns, but I just don't want to commit any crimes against humanity by going short with this rifle.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the rifle is already going to weigh a ton with a heavy barrel you might as well get the 26".

I used to think that long range varmint rifles needed heavy barrels. They don't at all if your hunting is like mine. I only wish that I had multiple targets like prarie dogs to shoot at. A sporter barrel 26" long would be just right. But can you buy one in a factory rifle today?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typically, you'll be using powders in the medium burning range with a .22-250, ie. H-380, 4895, 4064, etc. The burning speeds of these powders are a far cry from IMR 7828 or Retumbo or some of the other powders you would find in a 7mmSTW or one of the Ultramags, which really do need a 26" barrel.

While a 26 inch barrel will give a tad more velocity with the .22-250, the stiffer 24" tube provides all of the length you really need and will likely be easier to get to shoot.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stoney is pretty correct. I have one with a 24 inch barrel and one with a 26 inch barrel. Not really any difference to worry about in the field.

both chronograph loads at the same velocity ( and that is not much more than my 22 inch Ruger sporter in 22/250 either)

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That eases my concerns with this. At this point, it's gonna come down to looks...

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Jethro,
As others have said the longer barrel will yield a very small increase in velocity. The length will have no bearing on accuracy unless you happen to hit a length that provides perfect harmonics. Then you will have what is referred to as a "hummer" Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro: I am a firm believer in long barrels on Varmint calibered Rifles! Besides the free velocity and heat dissipation (both slight but very helpful) the additional mass of the longer barrel will give a slightly steadier swing when shooting at moving targets and will also hold steadier on makeshift rests under field conditions. Additionally the 26" barrel can be cutdown and rechambered at least once when and if the throat goes and a loss of accuracy results.
Definitely go with the longer barrel. This will help keep the expensive "barrel man" from taking advantage of you for a while longer!
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy,
The length of a barrel has nothing to do with how many times it can be set back. A Barrel that has enough diameter can be set back as long there is room to cut a chamber. I understand what you're trying to say here but the contour of a barrel determines how many times a barrel can be set back and not length. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Savage 110 in .22-250Rem. that I took to Harts to have a stainless steel 26" barrel
installed. That rifle really shoots well, but I don't think the extra 2" of barrel makes it any better.
It does however make it heavier. That's what I liked most about my .222Rem. A 20" heavy
barrel said it all. Anything longer was just excess baggage. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the 26" myself. The light multi-purpose 24's & 25's work, but if shootin' gets fast and furious they'll not stay on target long if the bedding (and everything else) isn't perfect. The longer barrel will move the muzzle blast another 2" away from you, if nothing else.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim White: I should have been more clear with my reasoning which I mistakenly thought would be obvious.

When one shortens a 24" barrel enough to clean up a withering throat/leades area you are getting into velocity losing length. And Jethro did specify the heavy barrels in both his 24" or 26" choices so he has no worries about the thickness of the shank being a future problem for "freshening" the barrel.

With the 26" barrel you will get a "fresh" start without really loosing much of the velocity that one wants when going to that high intensity cartridge to begin with. I have had many barrels "freshened" or changed calibers in and that is another time when the long heavy barrels (with the long thick shanks or straight tapers) are worth their weight.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote