New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 Rem vs WSM vs WSSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm completely new to the forum so bare with me on what may be a pretty basic question for most here. My experience has pretty much been limited to my late 60's Win model 94 30-30 that I've had for going on 40 years and some rimfires as well as shotguns. My question is what is the difference in the normal chamberings like a 223 and then the WSM and WSSM's? What specifically are these short rounds designed for? I've been doing some research on buying a 223 caliber and am leaning towards the Rem, Win or Savage lines. But I'm uncertain as to where the 'short' calibers would be the preferred choice (plan on using 223 for praire dogs, ground squirrels and coyotes)? I have also been considering the purchase of a rifle in the 7MM Remington for Deer and Elk. This question may be more appropriate for the medium bore forum but would this also be an acceptable caliber for Moose. Also, should it be a 7MM WSM? Thanks for any comments.

Posts: 70 | Location: N. Utah | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
It's a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

For shooting vermin, the 223 Rem reigns surpreme. Ammo is everywhere and dirt cheap, you can shoot a bunch without wearing out a barrel. The WSSM (there's no WSM in .224 caliber) is great. Got one, love it. But, it's not near as versatile as the 223rem. Faster, but there is a price in shortened barrel life, ammo price, and muzzle blast.

For big game, if it includes deer, elk and moose, I'd pick the '06. Again, ammo is dirt cheap, everywhere, and the cartridge only has 100 years of proven track record. The 7mags are great (and there's not a plugged nickel worth of difference betwixt them), but again, it comes with a price. Oh, and buy the '06 used. With the WSM craze, "long action" rounds like the '06 and the 270 are cheap as dirt. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote