THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I want a 250-3000, which rifle to buy?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a 250-3000, which rifle to buy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What say ye gentlemen???

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cascade Arms has made their model 84 in 250 Savage and they're beautiful! More interestingly, they're scaled down to the cartridge. Good luck in your search it's a special cartridge...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge. I’d screw a pacnor #2 countor of your choice into a 700 and start from there.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What type of shooting are you going to do with it?

A lightweight saddle carbine? It would be hard to beat a Savage 99.

Long range rifle? A modified 700, sure

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldJust some info!
waveI screwed a 22" long throated relatively fast twist 250-3000 light barrel onto a mod.200 Stevens.
tu2For a reloader it takes that sweet little cartridge to a different level.
clap Just a thought

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I build one on an older steel frame Browning BLR several years ago...it's a very nice little rifle.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep 'em coming, I'm liking these options!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I passed on a ruger 77 in light walnut. I'm kicking myself.

Years later I bought a savage 14. I'm impressed.

The store where I ordered it asked me twice what caliber I wanted. Who the heck orders a 250-3000 and not a 22-250.

I said this before, the Savage magazine would be $250 if it was made in euro. It's all steel.

I got lucky with his one vs-a-vie the wood.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine is in the Ackley improved version and built on a Ruger tang safety.
it's probably my best all around walking/stalking rifle for everything from 10 lbs to 300 lbs within 300 yards.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd build it on a Rem model 7

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with Frank,it's hard to beat the Savage 99.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I had a 257 Roberts built on a 96 Mauser action without the thumb cut receiver, 3 position safety and cock on open with a Timney trigger.
I've always thought it needed a matching little sister in 250/3000.
I think the 96 action would be pretty nice for a .250.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I am a lever action lover.... so, I would find a nice Savage 99.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much you want to spend but here goes. I've owned a Savage 99 and a Savage 1920 bolt in 250. Both had 1 in 14 " twist and would not group anything heavier than a 90 gr bullet. So both of those went to a new home. I took a Sav 11 that was a 22-250 and screwed a 1 in 10 " douglas barrel on it. It shoots any bullet now and kind of likes the 100 Speer. Puts them into about 5/8 in groups. The only bad part about it is one of my grandaughters kind of likes it. Sooooo...I may have to build another. A Rem M7 would be given serious consideration. Another Sav 11 might also be in the mix. Whatever action you choose get a barrel with a 1 in 10" twist

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Savage 99s, an EG, a 99F, a 1920ish take down..All have a 1x10 twist except the 1920 take down and its shoots with bench rest guns under 1/2 inch for 5 shot groups and it would do 10 shots for sure since Ive overlaid a day of targets...It won't shoot 100 gr. ballistic tips and some 100 gr. boattails, but it shoots flat base 100 gr. bullets in tiny groups and the big surprise is it tack drives the 117 gr. round nose Hornady 25-35 bullet, and that bullet is death on deer and worked great on elk at 100 to 200 yards back in the day with Silvertips and Corelokt 100 gr. bullets and Peters 117 gr...

My new beauty that I recently purchased on AR is a very rare original Deluxe FN from about 1948 to 1950 in 250-3000. all but impossibleto find these days...Its a tac driver with all light bullets and some heavy bullets, and Im thinking its a 1x14 twist, but some 1x14 will shoot about any 25 caliber bullet, some would have you believe otherwise but they are just passing gas from something they read,heard, or had a bad gun,..Its length not weight that causes large groups in the 1x14, so some BTSPs , long monolithics, etc won't shoot in them, but a 85 gr. monolithic will penetrate a tank. If your 250 wont shoot something is amiss or its just stupid, so Ive been told. tu2

That said the 250-3000 is the most accurate caliber that Ive ever delt with, never have I seen one that wouldn't shoot great or couldn't be tinkered with to shoot tiny groups..That been my experience of maybe a bit more than 70 years of shooting it. I have shot a number of elk and lots of deer with the caliber, mostly in the 99 Savage. I can't imagine not owning one, that's never been the case and never will be..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I built one. Bought a Barrel and tool kit from Midway, Adams & Bennett, they had them on sale. They said the kit was out of stock, so ordered the barrel and tools separate, Any way I got two barrels and tool sets.
It took a few months to find a short action Savage to screw one into. Found a Model 11 in 243. Was not to hard to swap barrels.
If you want I might be persuaded to sell my extra barrel/tool set.
Then you just need A Stevens 200 or Savage short action. I hear the Mossberg has the same barrel threads, might want to check to be sure.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another opetion is the Ruger International Manlicher style carbne (18.5) barrel..but I sold mine for $1400 used, and I see some of them for sale now and then on GI for $1700 these days. Its a cute gun for sure, but the short barrel is a bit over done,should have been 20 inches IMO. Mene was SS and wood,it was a pretty nice special run of 250....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Ruger M/S International in 7x57 topped w/ a Nikon.I have purchased many M/S copies over the years (really trying to remake the wheel).Basically,one of the best calibres out there still is (+ here my bias shows) the Mannlicher 1903 in 6.5x54.As the man said,"It's my opinion + it's very true". But honestly the 250-3000 is a great cartridge as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Model 700 Classic in 300 Savage, I wouldn't mind having one in 250 Savage too.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I have a Dakota 97 Hunter, stainless, in 250-3000. I love it, totally adequate, light, pleasure to shoot, and accurate.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a mint 250-3000 Mod. 70 pre war in a gun shop in Texas awhile back, Man, I lusted after that one, but $5500 was just out of my gun account at the time as I have been buying more than Im selling..Bad thing is I have to sell some keepers to buy more wanters!! a never ending cycle!! Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a 250-3000 Ruger No 1 on GunBrokers.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A good choice might be to call Savage an possibly have them assemble a 250-3000 on a bolt action platform.

From the Savage Arms FAQ page;

Does Savage have a custom shop?

6 years ago
Follow
We offer a service that we refer to as the Special Order Shop. We allow our customers to mix and match different components from different models to "build" their own model. Certain combinations are not possible so you do have to call to verify whether or not we can build the rifle you're looking for. If you are looking for a specific caliber that is not listed, please contact the Special Order department at (413) 568-7001 to see if it is available.

About 10 years ago Savage offered the 250-3000 in a Model 16 Weather Warrior which I bought. It came with a full stainless action and barrel, a hinged floor plate, a synthetic Accu-stock, with Accu-trigger. It has a 3 position tang safety also.
Being a re-loader, I never bothered trying factory ammo and immediately started re-loading for it. Just like my other 2 Savage bolt actions, the rifle wasn’t very picky on loads and went to shooting sub-MOA immediately.
All three of my Savage bolt action rifles (2 Axis and the Mod.16) shoot sub-MOA year after year with no re-sighting required unless I change bullets/loads. That is more than I can say for 4 of my custom barreled/blueprinted rifles costing me much more than I paid for the Weather Warrior ($658)
The rifle is relatively compact but a tad heavy with the Accu-stock, however it is not a problem for me to shoulder and carry with a sling.
Just a thought for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on a Rem 600 with a shortish stiff barrel, I would not give it up for anything. Nothing fancy, I painted it and the scope that's on it camo, and I have shot everything from sage rats to Wildebeest with it. Accurate as all getout.

The only improvement I can envision is the same thing on a Sako Forester action.

The ctg is too short for a 98 action, that's the most common bolt rifle you see for sale in this caliber.

You most practical route might be to buy a used Rem 722 in 300 Sav and rebarrel.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the light original Rem model seven rifles rebarreled would be a nice rifle.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem made a 250-3000 in their mod. 700 some years ago, might look around for one of those. Ruger made them off and on I had one in the Ultra light 77 sometime ago..They are out there, you just have to be patient and keep looking and be aware they don't come cheap in that caliber..I can't imagine not have one or two 250s however, regardless of price..

My all time favorite 250 is the rare as hens teeth 1950ish Savage 99F in 250..hard to find, almost impossible but they show up on GI and GA and gun broker once in a great while...They will cost you in the $1200 to $2000 category depending on condition whereas a 99EG will run you about $800 to $900 in 250, its a nice gun but on the heavy side of the 99s..99Rs are the least expensive in 250, but they are even heavier, and bulky, an only recently has the price for them gone up to $800 to $1100..

300 Savage and 308s in the 99Fs can be had for $650 to 800.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The model seven is a good choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 250 can be built on a G33-40 small ring Mauser or a 98 Mauser, all you have to do is block the magazine, replace the bolt stop, and do whatever else you desire to customize either...They are also a great investment in that caliber. A little Ruger ultra Light shows up from time to time on Guns International, Gun Broker or Guns America, for about $$800 to a $1000, they are neat little guns.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I have one on a Rem 600 with a shortish stiff barrel, I would not give it up for anything. Nothing fancy, I painted it and the scope that's on it camo, and I have shot everything from sage rats to Wildebeest with it. Accurate as all getout.

The only improvement I can envision is the same thing on a Sako Forester action.

tu2roger beer

The ctg is too short for a 98 action, that's the most common bolt rifle you see for sale in this caliber.

You most practical route might be to buy a used Rem 722 in 300 Sav and rebarrel.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen many 98s in 250-3000, they used a block in the magazine etc and they worked like a charm, and you could seat the bullets out...Win. made the pre 64 in 250-3000 and I see them from time to time at big bucks..Take your time and find a Ruger 77 Ultra light at about $800 or a Ruger manlicher for about the same..Thats the cheapest bet and the best rifle for the price..Start rebarreling or reboring the bucks can really add up in hurry..

I cannot imagine life without a 250-3000. That would be hell on earth!! faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if your looking at 800-1K you might as well just buy a new short action rifle and re-barrel it.
or look at some of the older rifles mentioned above.
the 722 would be fine, I have one in 300 sav. with a manlicher style stock, it's awful heavy though.
but there are plenty of others out there available for +-300$ that would be very suitable, plus you get the bonus of a very good barrel.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember a 300 Savage today in a 722 costs about $400 to $600..They went nuts this year, wish I had one at $300..but add a new barrel at $400 or more installed,glass bedding with the new barrel most of the time at $150., shipping cost would end up over $200. its a run away train..Buy one ready to shoot is cheaper even if you have to pay a little more..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they might be up some.
but there are plenty of others that will work.
any of the short actions are perfectly suited, a shot out 22-250 is a no brainer re-barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh for the prices of the past. I recall when the Soviet Union collapsed in the 80's I was bringing in NEW Lugers packed in cosmoline for $300.00.In the early 70's I could buy a NEW Ford pickup for $6K.The only thing that does'nt change,is change.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spot on Norman. None of these guns get cheaper and you can buy a shooter for less than you can build one these days unless your talking a full custom high dollar gun where money is not obstacle. Been down that road many times.

keep in mind a rebore is about half the cost of new barrel, plus no extra work is usually required..A shot out 22-250 is prime for rebore to 25 cal.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120