Find
Notify
Tools

.17 MachIV Brass ????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
I just bought a Cooper 17MachIV. I have dies now including a 17 trim die. What is the best brass to use for this 17?

I had a 17-222 years ago until it was stolen. I used a .17 trim die to form the brass. If I tried to size down .222 brass with the sizer die it would buckle the shoulder of the .222 brass.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whenever I tried to size 223 or 222 brass down to the length required it would make a vertical line in the case. So I used 221 fireball instead. There is commercial 17 fireball available now, give that a try.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 17 fireball and the mach II are virtually the same thing

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
the 17 fireball and the mach II are virtually the same thing

Whoa, try not. The 17FB is a center fire round based on the 221FB and the 17M2 is a 22Lr. The 17FB also has a 2000fps on the 17M2. So no they aren't even the ballpark, no planet of eachother.

ADam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9938

I have made no less than 10,000 pieces of 20VT/ 17FB brass in the last year. You need a 221FB FL die, 17M4 #1 Form die and a 17FB FL die to form the brass. Then you need to trim the necks, turn the necks and anneal. It's a lot of work but the result is brass that is better than Lapua and stronger than Superman.

I leave mine at 20VT stage but with a 32gr bullet and AA2200 powder I am pushing the Hornady to 4100fps and getting over 10 reloads.

Please PM me for more info if you so choose,

Just to re-touch, the 17M2 is not anywhere near the 17FB. ADam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried the new 17 Fireball brass yet.

However back in the day when I was making 17 Mach 4 brass out of 221 FB brass we would put all the dies in the various stations of a Dillon 1050B. Lubed the hell out of the cases and tossed them in the case feeded. Started pulling the handle and presto every pull uot popped a formed case. All I had to di was sit at the RCBS trimmer and trim while a buddy ran the press.

Worked like a charm.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you form 17 Mach IV from 221 brass, you do not need to trim, but you need the 17M4 #1 form die. Same for making 17 FB. Do not know about making out of 223, but I think you would have to trim, and ream the necks. On the M4 with 221 brass, all you have to do is run through the form die, and then through a neck sizer and you are set to load. That's how I did it, and they shoot just fine. use Rem 7.5 primers for best results. I have had excellent results with new Fireball Brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might have all the answers by now. check out the wood chuck den on the net.I think the mans name is todd. he has a book on the 17teens and knows all you will need on the 17 mach IV. In the past that is where i started. I got my started brass for that cal. Hope it pans out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bull Berry, if they are still in bussines, made a double ended sizing die. One end would size to around 20 the other a little smaller, then FL in Mach 4 dies. 20.3 H335 with the 20gr V Max for 4250fps in my Cooper shoots awsome!

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
The trim die forms the brass like it was butter. Smooth and makes a nice case.

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Sam184 mentioned, the Woodchuck Den is a good place to start...go ahead, spring for some preformed brass now and address making your own later.

http://www.woodchuckden.com/catalog/catalog2010.pdf

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam, I think Butchloc's post contained a typo. He meant Mach IV not Mach II.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote