THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6mm Remingon out of a stock rifle..

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Remingon out of a stock rifle..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
I have a 70's 6mm 700 varmint rifle that I'm having a tough time getting good groups out of.
My best results have been with middleweight bullets.
The 85g Sierra BTHP gave me decent groups.
I bought some 55g Nosler BT's that just didn't group like I thought they would. I used W760, which Nosler noted as being the most accurate powder. The load they posted as being most accurate gave me 1.5" at 100 yards.
I also tried Hornady 100g interlocks which gave me 1-1.5" with BLC-2.
I have a 12x Weaver scope, free floated barrel and 4# trigger. My problem is that I shoot my 700 LTR witha 6x much, much better. Is is unfair to campare the two? I really expected better accuracy out of the old Remmy.
I am thinking of taking it to a smith to see if the throat is eroded and am contemplating rechambering to 6mm Ackley improved. I'm also thinking about just rebarreling to 6.5-284 and scrapping the 6mm altogether.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try the 70 gr sierra and 44grs 4064.if a 6 wont shoot that it has problems.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the throat is eroded, you would probably be wasting your time and money getting it rechambered. Buy a new match grade barrel and have a GOOD gunsmith chamber it. Not a thing wrong with staying with the 6mm, just match the twist with the bullets you plan to shoot.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Is it bedded?

Often on a 700,when you remove the speed bump,they get very "unhappy" if left unbedded.

Make sure everything is tight,action bedded and then try again. While I'm certainly not a fan of polishing turds/pissin' in the wind,I'm not a fan of scrappin' a barrel either(until I've determined the barrel is the culprit).

Unless of course you simply crave something different. THAT I fully understand..............

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you are picking a load you think will be accurate and are surprised when the rifle disagrees.
First of all those may be the best groups the rifle will produce.
Next find the load for the rifle.

Load some loads (several with each bullet and several powders) and let the rifle show you what it thinks are accurate loads. Some bullets and some powders will not produce . . . Hey that is what handloading is all about!

LouisB

Just an opinion of course [Smile]

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
might try that 6x off your ltr.
also try a box or 2 of factory loads
how about copper/lead build up in the rifling?
i would make absolutely sure there is no fouling at all in the barrel. none.
try the scope next
try the fact ammo.
all this should cost you about 2 hours and $30. maybe a few choice handloads suggested from here.
dont give up on it yet. i will bet it will shoot before your done.......
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6 REM original hambering is deep , very deep if you compare to a 243 WIN and with use the throar erosion come so best is to check your cartridge max lenght with th ebullet you use or plan to use and try to ge contact with the grooves as soon as you have your max lenght you canload cartridge 0.015 or 0.02 under this lenght and make an accuracy test .

bedding is perhaps a problem but throat erosion is more important fact than bedding .

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is all these Remington 700, 6MM's are posessed. One of my Uncles has a late '60s model and I have a HB laminated 3 years old and we found you have to shoot flat base bullets in them. No matter what, they WILL NOT shoot any type or kind of a boattail. I was shooting 87gr Hornady fb with 47.5 grain of H-4831 SC and this would shoot 5 shots in 1/2" and now I'm shooting 70grain TNT's with R-15 don't remember the load exactly without checking but it is MUCH faster and will shoot sub-inch groups and the nice thing it has not exited on any coyote I have shot so far. They have been about 150 to 400+ yards. Can't tell you what they will do @ 50, may tear it in half.

The flat base thing is really consistant with the Remington 700's in 6MM, as far as my personal experience goes, I don't know why. Actually I do know some other guys that have them and only one of them can shoot boattails. What is even more strange, to me, is my Uncles and mine will both shoot about any weight bullet as long as it is flat base. Now that is really inconsistant with my shooting/reloading experience with other rifles and calibers. But that is the way it is. Good Luck, Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
I have a 1973 Rem 700 BDL in 6mm REM and it shoots boattails just fine. No problems whatsoever.