New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 6.5-284
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see Savage is chambering for the 6.5-284. I am interested in this round as a non magnum alternative for a 500 yard deer round. However the Savage rifle only has a 22 inch barrel. I have thought of the 6.5-284 as a rifle that would do best with a 24 inch or longer tube. What say the 6.5 shooters out there?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Well mine has a 30" barrel, but it sure ain't no deer rifle. Weighs in around 16 pounds, all up.

If you contact their custom shop, I'm sure they can put one together for you with a 24" or 26" barrel.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
Why go 22" or even 24" when you can have a 26"??!!

Another ridiculously accurate Savage. Untouchable accuracy, 1.75" @ 200 Yards with one flier (my fault). I won 40 bucks with this rifle against 1 Sako, 2 Kimber's (one with a custom Krieger BBL) and a Cooper. We each had 10 bucks in the pot.

Savage: Long Range Hunter 6.5X284 W/26" 1:8 BBL. Who say's they don't make'em with a longer barrel?

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think a 24 to 26 would be optimal for a hunting rifle.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful what you bet there, What The. 1.75" at 200 is scarcely better than 1moa accuracy. Both my Coopers routinely shoot under an inch at 200 yards.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatthe,
Savage has come a long way, and I make the statement often that if all I was interested in was accuracy then all my rifles would be savage but..............

that long range rifle should be shot while listening to a refrain of "she thinks my tractor's sexy", cause its about just that.

Now this is sexy!

Looks like this!

Cooper model 22, Montana Varminter, 6.5 x 284

Shoots like this!

100 yds. 3 different loads

200 yds. 3 different loads

Kills stuff DRT

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but GW,

If you had just bought a Savage, you wouldn't be having those flyers in your groups.

Tsk, tsk, too bad...

animal

I'm just poking fun there a bit. Nice hog btw.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim, have to disagree with you to a point.

Don't blame those fliers on the rifle, its me that can't shoot.

And being a short, fat bald man, I can take all you can dish out.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm talkin' about Geedubya! A fine looking rifle that shoots. Why, it looks like your shoots almost as good as mine. jumping

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
I see Savage is chambering for the 6.5-284. I am interested in this round as a non magnum alternative for a 500 yard deer round. However the Savage rifle only has a 22 inch barrel. I have thought of the 6.5-284 as a rifle that would do best with a 24 inch or longer tube. What say the 6.5 shooters out there?

I won't touch that 500 yard deer round comment with a 10' pole.

But I do think the 6.5-284 Norma needs a longer barrel than 22" to perform to its potential. Perhaps that's why Blaser uses their 25.6" magnum length barrels for it and no other non-magnum cartridge. Not even the 22-250Rem or 25-06Rem.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad,
No argument from me, yours prolly does mighty fine on a straight line shot, but can you do this,

go through the big 'un, bounce off two rocks and make the corner pocket? dancing
and still be able to "blow smoke"

Best
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

But I do think the 6.5-284 Norma needs a longer barrel than 22" to perform to its potential. Perhaps that's why Blaser uses their 25.6" magnum length barrels for it and no other non-magnum cartridge. Not even the 22-250Rem or 25-06Rem.

So you don't think it is a 500 yard deer round or are you one of those guys who think 500 yards is too far to shoot deer at? Being I practice at 300 yards with all my rifles at the club and can practice at 500 where I hunt, 500 is really not that far when you do it on a regular basis.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedub, you got me there. I did once get a double on prairie dogs with my 22-250 at the 400 yard mark. They helped though, they stood one behind the other sticking their tongues out at me. They didn't know I was shooting a Cooper, they thought I had a Savage. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That'll teach 'em. rotflmo
Best
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OMG Geeduya, dat's a pretty one!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I had it with me the last time I saw you at the range.
Perhaps not.
See ya' soon
Best
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

So you don't think it is a 500 yard deer round or are you one of those guys who think 500 yards is too far to shoot deer at? Being I practice at 300 yards with all my rifles at the club and can practice at 500 where I hunt, 500 is really not that far when you do it on a regular basis.

What part of
quote:
didn't you understand?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
Be careful what you bet there, What The. 1.75" at 200 is scarcely better than 1moa accuracy. Both my Coopers routinely shoot under an inch at 200 yards.

I believe I could easily keep up with that if I used my rest and bag! I only used my bi-pod and was jacked on 4 cups of coffee..Frowner Regardless, 1.75 @ 200 yards for a light hunting gun is unreal. My (F) class shoots .77" but that's a completely different animal!

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Whatthe,
Savage has come a long way, and I make the statement often that if all I was interested in was accuracy then all my rifles would be savage but..............

that long range rifle should be shot while listening to a refrain of "she thinks my tractor's sexy", cause its about just that.

Now this is sexy!

Looks like this!

Cooper model 22, Montana Varminter, 6.5 x 284

Shoots like this!

100 yds. 3 different loads

200 yds. 3 different loads

Kills stuff DRT

Best
GWB

Very nice indeed! Love it all! tu2