THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which small cal for limited gun safe?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which small cal for limited gun safe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm working on clearing out the gun safe and limiting myself to what I'll actually hunt with. I have a cz 404 Jeff on the way and a cz 9.3 that I'll keep for sure.

I've also got a 35 whelen, 358 win, and a 350 remy that I'm going to have to sell (feel like I'm selling my children) I'm also getting rid of a 300 Weatherby and a 338 win mag.

I need something relatively small, flat shooting, and enough power to really work on any hooFed herbivore in the lower forty eight and smaller african plains game.

I don't have much experience with smaller cals, but I'm considering a 6.5x55, a 7x57, a 270, a 280 etc. What are you all's thoughts? Thanks fellas.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 270, 308 or a 30-06.

All are easy to find ammo or reloading suplies for.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a flat shooting caliber with factory ammo I would go with the .270 or .280 simply for the fact that they are generally loaded hotter from the factory than the 6.5x55 or 7x57. If you are a hand loader that isn't as much of a concern.

The .270 will likely be the most available over a wide variety of hunting locals of all the calibers you listed.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you'll have left under 9.3, but you said lower 48 herbivores. From what you said, 280. If this included elk, 30-06; know a 270 or 280 would work fine, but 180+ grains would be nice if you wanted it. 06 isn't as appealing to some, but it is so practical.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My own preference would be a 7-08, but the 6.5x55 or 7x57 would serve as well should one of them be your preference. The .280 is more versatile than a .270.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the 06 would fit the bill, but I'll be honest and say I'm not real interested in it.

I'll certainly consider something I didn't list, and I don't mind handloading.

Right now, the 6.5 and 7x57 (also 300 H&H) interest me most.

Also intrigued with 6.5x68. DOes anyone use this cal? Clearly I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

What about 25/06?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
know the 06 would fit the bill,

For sure and if there's gonna be one sub-Caliber in your collection why not make it one of; if not, the most popular & available cartridge in the world? WTF-Over?

O.K., if you don't want an '06 another cartridge with a great deal of flexibility if you want something that will do a bit of everything from varminting, target shooting & medium game hunting rifle after the .30/06 Sprg. then the 65x55 would be my pick.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clearly I'm a sucker for nostalgia.
Interesting that. So am I! I'm not qualified to recommend but the 7x57 is pretty nostalgic! The 6.5 warms me too. You could compromise and go 6.5x57. Roll Eyes Good luck! beer

P.S. I would make mine rimmed! Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
7-08 or 308. If it can't be taken with either of those, get the 9,3 back out.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll submit two votes here, one for a 7x57, and the other for a 7-08.... Smiler

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Yep, 7x57 if you hand load (for the reasons mentioned above), and the 7-08 if you don't. I understand the "nostalgia" factor, but I have to admit to being a 7-08 junky. It is my "go to" hunting rifle here in Texas and has taken plains game in Namibia and bears in Canada.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingSince elk may be on the agenda the 7 X 57 with heavy bullets has an edge over the 6.5 X 55. It should be throated deep enough to handle the 170 + grain bullets. There are good reasons for the .270 and .280 as well but the 7 X 57 is a cartridge of great design that has put meat on the table for over 120 years. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
I'm considering a 6.5x55, a 7x57, a 270, a 280 etc.

Any of the above.
Not a cop-out have them all and have killed with them all.

The 6.5 is sentimental favorite.
In timber I used 160's on Elk, 140's for longer range, 120's, 100's and smaller all group well.
light weight,low recoil, "kills out of proportion to its size" is a commonly spoken praise.

The .270 with the 180 Barnes (no longer made, though Woodleigh and Hawk do) was a great round on bigger game.
The 130's and 150's made the "legend".

The .280 improved or standard has been a bit more more slow to grow it's now fine reputation; and what can you say about the 7x57, it has killed literally everything, sort of the ultimate small bore "been there done that" round.

Factory ammunition availability leans to the .270, then the rest, usually with the 7x57 edging out or tied with the 6.5 and the .280 bringing up the rear. (A consideration in travel and in simple economic terms.)

Tough choice,for both of us--- as I said elsewhere I am thinning my collection down and am having difficulty picking and choosing the deportee's. Frowner

Having already parted with my Highsmith crafted 7x57 (2 others remain) and my Jarret .280AI (no others) the 6.5x55 stable (4) I personally find them most difficult to thin; hunts with each fondly remembered.( My 6.5 X54 M/S must stay which puts further elimination pressure on the reliable Swedes))

With you having 2 CZ's -- a trio would be nice. thumb

Good luck, not a bad choice among them------ or the .260, 7-08, 308, 8x57, 30-06--------- bewildered

of course you could take the ratio approach .366/.423=X/.366 =.316 approximately =303 Brit. Wink

Fat lot o' help I am Big Grin

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know the 06 would fit the bill, but I'll be honest and say I'm not real interested in it.

I'll certainly consider something I didn't list, and I don't mind handloading.

Right now, the 6.5 and 7x57 (also 300 H&H) interest me most.

Also intrigued with 6.5x68. DOes anyone use this cal? Clearly I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

What about 25/06?

Need more help Big Grin

Yes the 6.5x68 is interesting as is the big brother the 8x68--brass issues , availability etc., played that game.

The 300 H& H is a classic; sold mine in favor of a classic '06.
Was not the round that I sold but that particular rifle.

Boy, the .25's--always favored the .257 AI over the 25-06 , but in truth the 6.5's do their job and more.

Like I said before: Good Luck not a bad dilemma to have---.Cool

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:
I'm considering a 6.5x55, a 7x57, a 270, a 280 etc.

Any of the above.
Not a cop-out have them all and have killed with them all.

The 6.5 is sentimental favorite.
In timber I used 160's on Elk, 140's for longer range, 120's, 100's and smaller all group well.
light weight,low recoil, "kills out of proportion to its size" is a commonly spoken praise.

The .270 with the 180 Barnes (no longer made, though Woodleigh and Hawk do) was a great round on bigger game.
The 130's and 150's made the "legend".

The .280 improved or standard has been a bit more more slow to grow it's now fine reputation; and what can you say about the 7x57, it has killed literally everything, sort of the ultimate small bore "been there done that" round.

Factory ammunition availability leans to the .270, then the rest, usually with the 7x57 edging out or tied with the 6.5 and the .280 bringing up the rear. (A consideration in travel and in simple economic terms.)

Tough choice,for both of us--- as I said elsewhere I am thinning my collection down and am having difficulty picking and choosing the deportee's. Frowner

Having already parted with my Highsmith crafted 7x57 (2 others remain) and my Jarret .280AI (no others) the 6.5x55 stable (4) I personally find them most difficult to thin; hunts with each fondly remembered.( My 6.5 X54 M/S must stay which puts further elimination pressure on the reliable Swedes))

With you having 2 CZ's -- a trio would be nice. thumb

Good luck, not a bad choice among them------ or the .260, 7-08, 308, 8x57, 30-06--------- bewildered

of course you could take the ratio approach .366/.423=X/.366 =.316 approximately =303 Brit. Wink

Fat lot o' help I am Big Grin

Great info., and great info. from all..

Dugga makes a good point about the cz in the 6.5...

I think I've narrowed it down to the 6.5 and the 7mm mauser (found out I'm do to inherit a pre-64 300 H&H). ALthough, the 303 brit was an interesting choice. Now I just have to figure out which of these guns I need to get rid of.

Thanks for the input to all. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 Mauser (.275 Rigby) fits your classic battery of the .404 Jeffery and 9.3x62 Mauser.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like buliwyf above, i'm thinking the same thing. the 7x57 is a natural progression to the others you are keeping. i can't imagine not having a 7x57....it's my go-to.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
It has been said by those who know and I will reiterate the 7x57 will do it all with the 404 Jeffery and adding the 9.3x62 is pure serendipity.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 7mm Mag 100-180 Gr. pills , wild too mild it's tame enough or if loaded up can buck .

I like Rogers suggestion of the venerable ole 7X57 if your not looking for Mag power .

fishing Since elk may be on the agenda the 7 X 57 with heavy bullets has an edge over the 6.5 X 55. It should be throated deep enough to handle the 170 + grain bullets. There are good reasons for the .270 and .280 as well but the 7 X 57 is a cartridge of great design that has put meat on the table for over 120 years. beer

I simply prefer the Mag as it allows superior versatility provided you or someone you know reloads
archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 6.5x55mm or 7x64mm:

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
.257 Bob. It's really the only answer.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering what you already have I'd also recommend
a 7mm-08.

If you want that extra 50-75yards get a 280rem.

But then again a 7mmMag wouldn't be out of place.

There is no deer in the US that you need more than a 7mm to kill, cartridge choice and your accuracy (and the rifle's)
only determine how far....

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7-08 is a fantastic round as well. My brother and I have always been big bird hunters since we were boys, but he's never gotten into big game hunting and guns like I have; as in, he's not obsessed and willing to sell a kidney for some damn old (new) rifle.

Naturally, I try and infect others with my horrid addiction because misery loves company. My dad, like many users, has been completely satisfied with one fix nigh on several years... a 243... really, where does he get off being such a bore and making us addicts look so bad in constant search of the next best gun?

In any case, I tried to hook my brother by buying him a little 7-08 BLR rifle (great looking gun by the way). It was a completely practical purchase. It was something that I knew he could hunt anything in the US with other than grizzly. Unfortunately, it made too much since, as he's never needed anything else. Moreover, he's never gotten the gun bug I have.

Point being, I know the 7-08 is as nearly as practical as the -06, but I also find it to be as about as interesting as well (no offense to any 7-08 guys, as my brother is a nut). I'm a gun addict and only jones for guns that I have some nostalgic or otherwise nonsensical obsession with. I know they all can and do kill deer, pigs, antelope, and elk pretty dead, but I need a gun and cal that'll make my palms sweat just thinking about them. The 7x57 and 6.5x55 (along with other metrics for some reason) just seem to get me going.

Thanks guys, and would love to hear new and different opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Yep, 7x57 if you hand load (for the reasons mentioned above), and the 7-08 if you don't. I understand the "nostalgia" factor, but I have to admit to being a 7-08 junky. It is my "go to" hunting rifle here in Texas and has taken plains game in Namibia and bears in Canada.

Good Hunting,

Bob

thumb thumb

Just had my newly acquired Winchester Model 70 (From the plant in South Carolina) in 7-08 out this past week for some load work. All I can say is that rifle/cartridge combo is at the top of the ladder. Found two loads out of nine tested that are keepers.
When I was shooting it, I got to thinking that if the 7-08 was popular 30 years ago when my two boys and I were considering what Deer rifles to get, I would have settled on the 7-08 over the 7x57 that we went with.
In short, it's a dream shooting the 7-08; no noticeable recoil, and very accurate.
The new Model 70 is a well built rifle too, with an awesome trigger.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 270, 7x57, 308, 30-06. Have had 280, 7-08, 243. All seemed to have the same effect on 40-250# game with properly placed animals.

My 7x57 is a Shilen barreled pre 64 Model 70 which I love. However you have to be a avid handloader to get the performance that brings it closer to the "regular" american rounds (30-06, 270, 7mm mag, etc....). In No American if you forget ammo you're in a pickel in most areas.

Way way common but the one I love is the 270 Wincheter. Have my dad's unremarkable looking '68 M700 BDL w/3-9x leupold. About as common a rifle at most deer leases as there is. But it just shoots great, shoots most better factory well. Lots of factory ammo choices and availablity. Most small town hardware stores have ammo.

Just seems like a caliber every hunter should have.

Fun decisions for sure.

Pete A.

Posts: 107 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have much experience with smaller cals, but I'm considering a 6.5x55, a 7x57, a 270, a 280 etc. What are you all's thoughts? Thanks fellas.

ANY of these would work fine. The best of the bunch is the 280 REM., but only with handloaded ammo.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

sounds very impractical.
a .264WM, .270WSM or a 7mmRM would do anything the 6.5x68 case can do.

of course i know you can't argue with nostalgia, but i learned to be practical about cartridges.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
With what you are going to keep have you thought of a 257 Wby for the small end. Though I would use a larger caliber on elk it will do the job with shot placement and the right bullet. I imagine having a four gun battery when all is said and done myself. My collection so far is a 257 Wby for smaller game up to mule deer, an '06 for basically white tail to elk/moose and my 338-378 Wby for elk and up. There are good overlaps there that make for a good backup rifle on pretty much anything I would hunt here in NA. For instance, I use the 338-378 for elk and use the '06 as backup while using the 257 for antelope with the '06 as backup and the '06 for mule deer with either of the other rifles as backup. I don't forsee ever hunting africa but I know I want to add a boomer to the collection. I'll probably go with a 460 Wby but may very well go with a 378 Wby and be comfortable using it even on elk (I imagine the 460 would work as well Big Grin).

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote