THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Experience with the 87 gr. Hornady or 90 gr. Speer in 243?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with the 87 gr. Hornady or 90 gr. Speer in 243?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First, I plan to use the Hornady 100 gr. Interlock, Speer 105 Hot-Cor, or Nosler 95 gr. Partition for purpose built hunting loads. But can anyone tell me how the 87 gr. Hornady Spire softpoint and Speer 90 gr. Hot-Cor spitzer compare as far as toughness and terminal performance on deer goes?

I am considering giving one of these a try for practice loads in my daughters' 243. If they shoot well enough and would hold together they may even get taken to the deer stand.

I don't think the 87 gr. Hornady is an Interlock, so I don't know how it would hold together.

Lastly, since the rifle I am loading for is 20" barreled ultralight, velocities will be lower than 3000 for certain and probaby more like 2800. I figure the slightly lighter bullets would allow for softer recoil but might still be enough bullet for our smaller southern deer.

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first new hunting rifle was a Remington Mohawk in 243. I never tried the 90 grain Speer but used the 87 grain Hornady at close to 3000fps a bit. I killed several deer with it but I won't reccomend it for hunting in timber.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 90gr. Speer in the 243 will work fine..
Jon D.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 90 grain Speer is the tougher of the two and is designed as a medium-game bullet. The 87 grain Hornady is a bit more fragile but will work fine for smaller deer as long as you keep the muzzle velocity around 3000 fps.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the experience I and my three kids had with a 243 I would recommend a hollowpoint bullet for deer hunting when using 85 or 90 grainers. My oldest Son shot a whitetail buck at about 90 yds. with an 87 grain Hornady and it made a complete pass through the chest cavity and when we finally got the deer, which BTW I wasn't sure would happen, upon field dressing it found the heart had a 6MM hole right through the center. Started using 100 grain bullets in it and they worked better but I would hardly call it a real deer dropper. Just my opinion, although I know guys that won't use any other caliber for deer.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sons and brother all started with a 243. 90 grain speers are excellent bullets. I think we shot them at about 3,100.

I've seen deer shot with the 105's with a MV of 2,000 to 2,900. I like the 105's better just because I have more experience with them.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my testing of them, the 90 grain Speer is the better terminal performing bullet of the two.. the 87 grain Hornady is the more accurate of the two...

If deer where you live are antelope sized either will perform just fine... they work well on Oregon Blacktail...

I have two kids on their first deer hunt this year using 243s, and one is using the 90 gr Speer and the other the 87 Gr Hornady....

95 grain Ballistic tips are to be used as backup bullets...

all with same load, 30 grains of Rl 7..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe my dislike of the Hornady was due to inexperience and the fact that when hunting in thick forest placing ones shot perfectly is a bit hard. Where it is more open this bullet may perform better.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Mark,

I haven't used the Hornandy but the Speer is the ducks nuts for deer in the 243. It works really well and you won't have any problems.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've used the 87 grain 6mmRem to take several whitetail and a blackbuck. They don't penetrate deeply but penetrate deep enough and are instant killers in the chest/neck area.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 87gr hornady on about 5 fallow of about 150-175lbs. Ranges 30-180yards shot broadside or quartering on.

Bullet performance very good indeed. With max loads of H4350 or RL19 you should get near to 3,100fps even with 20".

Best for this application IMHO is the nosler 90gr BT - this elevates the 243 a level in terminal performance - shot 10 fallow last year with it in my 19" M700 at 2,900fps.

All of these bullets require careful placement into the vitals but death IS assured. The heavier 105gr speer majors on penetration at the 2,800fps I acheived but shock was definately somewhat reduced with smaller deer running a short way every time. It worked a treat on the red I shot however which would have weighed about 275lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have reloaded the 90 gr speer for myself and my son for many years i have the same ruger that you do ive been using 7828 for about 10 years. i use 48.5 gr in my rifle my son uses 49 gr even with the short barrel i getalmost 3300 fps. while my son gets3350 fps both rifles group under .5 at 100 yds we have killed many deer and a lot of elk with this bullet and power combination. you should work up your loads and not start with these be safe and careful also took a nice speed goat at 500 meters with this load good luck with your reloading

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 87 grain hornady HPBT and didn't rate it at all on deer. Very explosive. In fact I shot several deer twice when the first shot should have been sufficient. The sierra 85 gn HPBT was a far far better proposition on deer. Accurate and killed very well.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in GA:
First, I plan to use the Hornady 100 gr. Interlock, Speer 105 Hot-Cor, or Nosler 95 gr. Partition for purpose built hunting loads.
Hey Mark, Those will do as well as any Standard Grade 0.243" Hunting Bullet made.
quote:
But can anyone tell me how the 87 gr. Hornady Spire softpoint and Speer 90 gr. Hot-Cor spitzer compare as far as toughness and terminal performance on deer goes? ...
Can't speak for that specific Hornady because I do not remember having used any.

The 90gr Speer Hot-Cor was originally developed for the first 6mmRem rifles with the twist too slow to properly stabalize the normal 100gr Bullets. Their intended purpose was(is) for small Big Game.

They do fairly well, but do not always give Exits. When there is an Exit, it is small and easy to plug shut. Of course a small Exit(if there is one) is typical for all 0.243" Bullets.

Best of luck to your daughter.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote