THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Trying to find load for Rem 700 VSSF .22-250

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to find load for Rem 700 VSSF .22-250
 Login/Join

posted
I just got a Rem model 700 VSSF .22-250 and I'm looking for a good load to shoot out of it. I was hoping the someone could point me in the right direction by sharing what worked for them. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
JMH, The one (VSSF) that my son use to have shot a pretty good group with 35grs. RE15 and 53MKs at .020" off the lands, 4 of the 5 shots were under an 1/2inch and had one flier a bit high, but then I traded it off for an AR15, it did have a nice 20oz trigger though, the thing about Remington's 22-250s is that the throat is so long, so you must get the bullets close to the lands in order for them to shoot halfway decent. Good luck, good shootin' Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JMH & Jay: I have owned a lot of 22-250's over the years and they are usually pretty easy to find accurate loadings for. I have several now and they are prone to like to shoot the wonderfully accurate and often overlooked Sierra 55 gr. Blitz bullets! These bullets perform wonderfully on all manner of Varmints and are cheap! Please try them!
Having said that I just bought a new Remington 700 VLSS (stainless Varminter with gray laminated stock) in 22-250 a couple months ago and just got it scoped a week ago. I was in my loading room late last night making more handloads for it. I use the wonderful Sinclair seating depth tool to determine my cartridge over all length. This tool has a procedure where you take a bullet you are going to make handloads with and just drop the projectile into the barrel (which is held muzzle down) and once the projectile stops in the rifling you use the tool to make measurements and then make a handload that can either be just touching the rifling or just off the rifling. Last night on this new Rifle I had no trouble making my test loads with plenty of a Speer 52 gr. HP/FB bullet still in the case neck! I have been told this Speer bullet is real fur friendly on Coyotes and such so I am going to try it.
Yes on occassion I have seen longer throats in Remingtons but their throats in my experience are no where near as long as Rugers!
And every time I get in a conversation about long throats I always caution folks that just because a bullet has to make a longer jump to hit rifling (long throat) does not automatically mean the load and Rifle will be inaccurate! I have seen many many Rifle/load combinations that are VERY accurate and the bullets have to travel long distances before they touch Rifling. I have a very accurate pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Varminter in caliber 243 Winchester that has virtually no rifling for 1 1/2" up its stainless factory barrel! Let me tell you the Varmints really don't like it when I shoot them with this rig! It shoots five shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day with Varmint quality bullets and a Varmint scope. When I bought this Rifle I knew the barrel was "shot out" and fully intended to replace the barrel. With that excessive amount of "freebore" even I expected poor performance. On a whim I shot it and have been shooting it since 1986 with the aforementioned pleasing results!
Back to your VLS - my friend out in Maple Valley, Washington just brought on line another Remington 700 Varminter in 22-250 and his initial handloads gave him groups well under .500". One group was in the 2's as I recall - I saw these targets on a recent trip to the coast by the way. He was using IMR 4064 powder and 50 gr. V-Max bullets. Upon hearing his good fortune, the handloads I made last night are using the IMR 4064 powder also. I use IMR 4064 pretty much universally in my 220 Swifts and am happy with it so the same powder in the 22-250 should also give me pleasing results. I will let you know how my loads shoot in my newest 22-250 as soon as the wind stops here in SW Montana! But please try the 55 gr. Sierra Blitz bullets if you are going to be Hunting Colony Varmints or doing any high volume shooting.
Good luck with your new VSSF!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just in case you haven't had a vssf before or haven't seen the post on them the action -stock torque can make or break the performance of the guns....the bolts must be torqued evenly....I didn't know that they were suposed to be in the 45-55INCH lb range and with the nice hex head bolts I tightened the bolts good and tight to make it stable ...at the same time I went to a new mount and scope......drove me crazy when it went from 1/2 in groups to 1 1/2 groups with three in a small hole and two out a inch.....I tried two scopes...changed rings ...tighten the mount twice and got a friend to shoot it to make sure it wasn't just me.....then I found out about the torque and loosened the bolts.......it went back to the 1/2 inch range and below......if you don't have a INCH lb torque wrench use a normal hex/allen wrench and insert the long end and turn with the short......it will get them close with the pressure you can use on the wrench with you fingers on the short arm..........my loads were with IMR 4064 and 4895 with 53/55grain bullets seated .015 off lands...good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to see how often IMR 4895 pops up whenever the .22-250 is mentioned. I use 35.5 grains of it with both Sierra's, and Nosler's 55 grain bullet.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If velocity and accuracy is your intention with the 22/250: the best I have found is RL 7/ 34.5 grains with a 40 grain Ballistic Tip or Sierra 40 grain HP.

Out of a 26 inch barreled Ruger VT, it chronographs at 4450 out of the barrel. Zeroed 3.0 inches high at 100 will put you dead on at 300, 5.5 inches high at 100 puts you dead on at 500 yds. The Ruger will give groups that you can cover with a half dollar at 300 yds with this load. It likes the Sierra 40 grain bullets better than the Nosler 40 grainers.

When I set up for prairie dogs, this load is what I shoot at the ones way out there. For most of my shooting tho, I shoot the 223 that is next to it, with a load doing 2600 fps with a 50 grain Speer TNT ( 12.5 grains of Blue Dot ). I set up with two rifles.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote