THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Bullets and powder recommendations for 264 Win Mag

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets and powder recommendations for 264 Win Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, just got the 264 out of the shop. 1938 Mauser 98 action, 23ish" barrel of unknown origin.

My uncle bought it from me and has asked me to go ahead and get load development done and some lead free bullets ordered up for CA (don't get me started).

First, bullets. I have a couple hundred 140's for playing with, but for the Barnes was debating between the 130's, and 120's (which happen to be on sale). Game will be CA deer, possible utah deer, and CA pig. recommendations?

Second, Powder. considering I'll be loading for the 140's, but with 120/130's as primary, what is best powder considering I have a slightly shorter barrel? I do have some h4831sc I was playing with for my 308 norma. but in reading search results there are other that seem popular, RL25, H1000? I'm guessing my barrel length will affect which is recommended?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be the first to tell you that I load for accuracy above speed. That being said, I load 60 grains of IMR4831 behind both the 125 Partition and 129 Hornady bullets. It gives me a modest 3100 fps, BUT shoots half inch groups which is more important to me. The barrel is a 24" Lilja 1:9 twist on a Rem700. I also tried RL22 (not25) but could not do as well.

If I was you, I'd play with the 4831 you have.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR4831 has a different burn rate than the Hodgdon correct?

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
IMR4831 has a different burn rate than the Hodgdon correct?

Red

That is correct, even though they're manufactured by the same company. Hodgdon.com will have load data for BOTH powders online, on one chart so you can compare.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of experience loading for the .264, but none with monometal bullets. However, the "on sale" 120 grainers will be just fine for any game you name. Slower is better with the .264, but with a bullet that light, you can get by with "pistol" powders like the IMR 4831. However IMR 7828 or RL25 would be better choices. And no, the length of your barrel (so long as it is of legal rifle length) is irrelevant to which powder to select. The "optimal" powder will be the same regardless of barrel length. Numerous tests have demonstrated this over the years.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
130gr Nosler Accubonds and IMR-7828 are hard to beat.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
65g Imr 7828, 140 Np, Fed 215. Shoots very well.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30378 has the right bullet, 130 Accubond. Doesn't help you much with the SSR of CA ban on lead bullets though.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel length (contrary to some opinions) is NOT a factor is selection of powder!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, I'm going to order some powder and bullets and get loading.

I thoguht the barrel length might mean needing faster burning powder, whereas a longer barrel would be better with slower burning powders. good to know though that it doens't matter.

I appreciate the help.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey guys, apparently hard to get IMR powders, not available out there anywhere. so here is what I can get, and what I'm thinking.

I got some H4831sc already to play with in I think my 308 Norma Mag. supposed to be a good powder for the magnums. Looking at the hodgdon reload data Retumbo also seems to be very good for the 264. both are available right now at midwayusa.

think I'll get satisfactory results with those?

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
US-869 is the best bet for the .264

There's plenty of it available. Try Graf's

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're shooting the 120 grain bullet you might be a little short of the best velocity in the .264 using H4831SC, but you can get respectable results.

Some of my data from 15 years ago indicates that I got 3260 fps with a 120 grain bullet using 66.5 grains of H4831 (24" bbl). A slightly slower powder might allow you to push that 50-75 fps faster. I have no experience with Retumbo, so can't comment on it.

Since you have some H4831 on hand I would suggest you try it with your 120's before blindly purchasing additional powders. If you decide to move up to a 130 or 140 grain bullet then you will definately want to try a slower powder like rcamuglia suggests.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote