New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Reccomendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a all around hunting stock for an M70 action. Currently have the Darcy Echols stock for my .375 and my 30.06, but would like something similar that is more slimmed down.

Thoughts?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brown Precision?

The Echols stock is made by McMillan with a more open pistol grip. They are booked solid, but call the,pm. They often are accomdating to the customer. I am sure for the price and time they will build you what you want.

Posts: 12236 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The lightest stock I've been able to find is the Wildcat Composites. It came to me weighing 16 ounces, featherweight shape, finished after bedding, pad and paint at about 18.
Very rigid and nice all the way around.

You can search this forum for my discussions on the Wildacat Composite stock.
My rifle turned out super accurate and very light.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Back when I went through my "it has to be super light faze" I had 4 rifles stocked by Brown Precision and I still have the first one from the mid 80's. They are high quality, light weight and slimmer than the Echol's stock which I also have.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used both the fiberglass and the Kevlar from Brown Precision and they're awesome.

I've also built 4-5 guns lately (only one for me) on the Wildcat Composite stock and they're pretty dang great too.

Both brands are slim and trim. They make great high country hunting stocks!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at McMillan's Winchester compact. I like it quite a bit. They have a new option, hand cut bolt notch or CNC. Would go with the hand cut, much cleaner.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legendary Arms Works are selling their fiberglass stock for 300 or 350 before shipping.

I know nothing about them, but in a similar thread MNR a gunsmith who does a lot of Winchester work and just about anything else who post on here likes them.

Posts: 12236 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Those Legendary stocks look nice Heym, wish I could tell what they weigh??

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I honestly do not know. I thin bc they are a fiberglass stock that they would be lighter.

I never held a Legendary Arms Works Rifle. I do know they have cut down on there production rifle line in the last few years. Fewer calibers and their Big 5 Rifle is no longer on the website.

I was thinking about a 280AI (no longer cataloged) and stumbled on them through Gun Broker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, have any of you used a borden rimrock?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After playing around on their website Legendary Arms Works list the 700 long action w/check piece at approximately 23 ounches fully inletted BDL type.

The 700 long action is rated at 21 ounces on the sheep stock.

I own one rifle with Brown Precision stock. I own no Legendary Arms Works rifles or stocks. Just thinking out loud. Own no interest in either.

Hope this helps.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That's not as light as I had hoped.
My sons Ruger MKII ultra light factory wood stock is 22 ounces.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only composit stock Ive ever almost liked was the old Pacific Research, it was indeed slim and trim..They may still be in production under another name...

I like the Ruger boat paddle stock, its one tough cookie, indestructible..and has a good feel..Ihave one that fits my Ruger African that I keep around, but have never used it, but if the snow is deep or the weather wet I cam drag it out..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote