THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Its Here..AR-15 Bushmaster .223 Varminter 24" Luv it!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Its Here..AR-15 Bushmaster .223 Varminter 24" Luv it!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Shoots 1/2" groups with factory!...What is effective varmint range and what is the best bullets as they go from 40-75 grains!Any other Varmint shooters with AR15s?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
You're gonna love it!

I have the Bushmaster Predator and use 55 gr. Nosler BT's @ almost 3300 fps. So far have shot coyotes out to 310 yds effectively.

Only problem I've had with mine is the 2 stage match trigger lost the 2nd stage after a hundred rounds or so. If your rifle has this trigger, check the lock screw located on back of selector (safety) to be sure the long adjusting screw cannot move. Mine came loose and sometimes you cannot feel when trigger hits 2nd stage making a very loooong, creepy single stage trigger; other times you can feel 2nd stage. I tried several times to re-adjust and have not been able to get the excellent trigger as it came from factory. Finally gave up and ordered a Timney drop in. Hopefully this will correct the problem. Be better if you can maintain the adjustment as it came from the factory.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Colt 6724, Jewel trigger, Leupold Mark 4 - 16X, Tubb CWS, and silly little rubber thingie!

The accuracy doesn't suprise me as this Colt 6724 has the same capability. Best varmit performance is with the 55 gr Nosler BT type bullet, and long range... way out there single loaded Hornady A-Max's. 55's have been good to 650 - 700 yards and the A-Max's my personal best was a Pdog at 1,106 yards which was lasered and witnessed. This rifle is like a big 10/22, and thrives in the Pdog fields.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Colt 6724, Jewel trigger, Leupold Mark 4 - 16X, Tubb CWS, and silly little rubber thingie! ...
Hey 308Sako, Tell us a bit about that "Thingie". I have a buddy in Florida who is considering one, but we couldn't find anyone who had one.

How long did it take to locate the "magic position" on the barrel?

Is it relatively easy to reposition?

And once in place, does it stay in place well?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Located it at the SCi convention year before last. Took over 14 months to get the courage to put it on the tube, sort of like a Black Beauty mark... I actually have not intentionally positioned it to determine a best location as yet. This rifle shoots so well that it would be hard to tell. It would be easy to reposition, and it does or would stay in place. I do think it is helpful, but that is not yet a proven to me fact, just a feeling.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Colt 6724, Jewel trigger, Leupold Mark 4 - 16X, Tubb CWS, and silly little rubber thingie! ...
Hey 308Sako, Tell us a bit about that "Thingie". I have a buddy in Florida who is considering one, but we couldn't find anyone who had one.

How long did it take to locate the "magic position" on the barrel?

Is it relatively easy to reposition?

And once in place, does it stay in place well?

Hey H C

bounty hunter had one at one time. Big Grin

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 308Sako, Thanks for the input. If you do start moving it around, let us know how it does.

quote:
Originally posted by woods:
...bounty hunter had one at one time. Big Grin
Sounds as if that is in the "past" tense. Do you think the "esteemed" BH would regail us with his insight?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
yeah!!! had a "friend" once that actually owned one. i had a new kimber that i was having a little trouble making it shoot so the "friend" said that he would loan it to me. now i don't want to sound like zumbo cause to me they look pretty good on an ar-15 type weapon, but on a sleek classic style rifle they look like a big "dogknot" on the barrel. didn't even try it it looked so bad. i tried to give it back to the "friend" and he wouldn't even take it back. imagine that. i had to "slip" it in his shooting box when he wasn't looking and then sent him a bill for freight. of course he never paid, that's why i said "had a friend" jumping

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know BH, I could see that improving the looks of some rifles. But i guess there is no need to trash the M70 fans. rotflmo
-----

My old buddy has been going through the same thinking, but chooses to call it "strange looking" just in case he decides to try one. He never has minded "strange" rifle stuff. His current favorite 22LR is an old Mossberg that he reconditioned. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Shoots 1/2" groups with factory!...What is effective varmint range and what is the best bullets as they go from 40-75 grains!...
Hey Safarikid, That sure is a fine shooting rifle, and speaks well for you too.

I'd say your fartherest Range will depend on how much you practice with it at l-o-n-g distance. Obviously the rifle/ammo combination is capable of excellent groups. The trick is to just get good at reading the environmantal conditions. And the only way I know to do that is with lots of Trigger Time at distance.

Oh yes, if you have a Weenie scope on it, that will hinder your long range groups. Lots of excellent Mil-Dot, and Special Reticle scops being made today. And plenty with Target Turrets if you want to "Crank-er in". Even some with both.

Once you begin shooting some longer distances, the advantages of the Heavier Bullets will become self evident - if your rifle has the proper twist to stabalize them.

I've not been shooting my 223Rem at really long distances, but I just stuck a 6.5-20x on it and I might just mess with it a bit way out there.

Best of luck to you.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My 20" flattop is a Frankengun made of parts from several different manufacturers. It has an 8" twist barrel and really likes Sierra's 69gr and 77gr Matchking bullets. I've hit steel plates as far as 600 yards and water filled 20 oz soda bottles as far as 300 yards.

Put a decent scope on it and go shooting, you'll quickly amaze yourself how well you can shoot. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, If you head for the hills with the .223, try the Hornady 75 A-MAX... will stay supersonic way out there.

For the record, the rubber thingie or Dogknot is butt ugly even in the package. That's why it probably works!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 308Sako, I think the heaviest thing I currently have in 0.224" might be 53gr. Had some 55gr FMJs and ended up giving them to a young fellow trying to keep his semi-auto well fed. He seemed to like unloading them as fast as humanly possible. Didn't hit much of anything, but always had a BIG grin when turning them loose.

The Thingie even looks a bit odd in the catalogs and on their web site. Appears like it would do the same thing as the Browning BOSS System, once you got it in the correct position, and for one specific Load.

But if it helps turn a poor shooter into a fine shooter, I might even be able to become fond of it. I've known some ladies like that. Big Grin

I can see where it would help protect the Muzzle during a fall if it was far enough forward. Eeker And I can see where it would be difficult getting it into a zip-up Gun Case. Roll Eyes

My buddy's first comments were, "How is this (Thingie) different than winding Black Duct Tape around the barrel? Cost more?"

He is tossing around the idea of making one with Pipe and Set Screws to hold it in place. Doesn't seem concerned at all about how it would look or what it would do to the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I must confess that the reason I even bothered to try the "Thingie" was that I have used the limbsaver products on a Z-Max bow and there was a very noticable reduction or difference in the resonating sounds. Every Italian in New York that I know has mentioned that the electrical tape is supposed to be put on the grips not the barrel... Roll Eyes Now, the elastomer material truly absorbs vibration, so I will reach out here and say that the placement on the barrel of a rifle reduces the ocillations which add to the dispersion of our shots. Now if we add to the physics behind this concept and actually make an effort to place the "Thingie" where it will do the most good... The results should be one fine hole! Wink I do have some experience in my 57 short years at trying to stuff the Thingie into soft places, sorry cases... and yes it does have a high coeffient of friction. Now as to placing the "Thingie" at the end of the barrel and the avoidance of crown damage, I would be concerned that the stock might take an extra beating because of the bounce factor. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I do think it is helpful, but that is not yet a proven to me fact, just a feeling.
Hey 308Sako, After reading you last post, it finally dawned on me that I never asked, "How much difference did it make in the Groups?"

Then I saw this in your first post and it sounds like you don't have "comparative" data of the "Before and After"(Thingie). If it is shooting really well with it on, I can understand the reluctance to remove it just to do the comparison. But..., I feel sure the curiosity would get to me.

Just don't think about it! thumb
-----

You are getting sleepy.....

(How would it compare? bewildered
HOW WOULD IT COMPARE? bewildered bewildered
HOW WOULD IT COMPARE?) bewildered bewildered bewildered

clap BOOM clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No dog Knot or Thingie here just a BushMaster E2S 20" target 99 vintage .

It actually shoots 62 - 70 grains much better .

I just thought I would show a 16 round typical 100 Yd. target . Mind you this was using Remington " Bulk Bullets " 55 grain to boot with federal cases and match primers . I was developing a load is why the bulk projectiles . This AR has an Atec 2.8 X 10 scope .

Not the best but works for me .

Fowler shot , # 5 Winchester note vertical string . Then # 10 of my hand loads . 25.5 Grains BL-C2 powder .

Always interesting to me any way as to impact point change when shooting different loads same weight projectiles .

Mine dislikes factory stuff with the exception of Blk Hills .
AR 15 Target 55 # 10 Hand Loads .325"

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Dr.K

I just picked up a Bushmaster with a 20" HBAR barrel and a flat top picatinny rail with a carry handle on top of it. It is open sights now.

Do you have a scope on your Bushmaster? I could order some scope rings for the Picatinny and put one on it. It looks like the front sight might obscure the sight picture in the scope though. bewildered

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
( Woods ) Yes it does . An older Simmons Atec 2.8X10. Mine is also an Hbar It's an XM E2S 20" target model . I bought 2 in that configuration . I can still use Iron sights on mine although some what limited .

The base mount is opposite taper too the Hbar but can be seen through . Although long elevation would be a guess , but 200 yd. or under would present no problem .

Hows your trigger ?. Mine was AWFUL !. Key word was . It used to take a Jeep and a small boy to break the sear or disconnecter I swear .

Not a lot of creep but dam felt like the safety was always on !. Other than that I've NO complaints .

Shoot Straight Know Your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the wife a Bushmaster a3 hbar with a 1/9 barrel, put a 2# Jard trigger in. Took 100 rnds of Black Hills 69gr and a 4.5 x 14 Springfield Armory scope with the 223 BDC reticle.

Sighted it in at 200, prone off a bipod and she was hitting 10s and Xs out to 500yds. jumping The wind picked up at 600 and the 10s turned to 7 and 8. (more trigger time)

This was her first time shooting beyond 50yds. I would like to say she did so well because of her coach Wink but I think she has a damn good rifle. I have not shot it at 100 yds but I am expecting the same results. This is my second Bushmaster and when I wantwant need another ar15 it will be a Bushmaster.

Enjoy your Bushy.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
silly little rubber thingie!

What's the use? dampening the barrel vibration? Confused

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Edmond

Here's the marketing hype. I loaned mine to a trusted friend to test and he didn't get the job done, so I don't know if it works. Tell you one thing, don't leave it in your shooting box with any oils or solvents. Mine got soft like a plastic fishing worm and deteriorated and left black gunk all over (it's all your fault bh Big Grin). Had to throw it away.

Guess I'll go ahead and get some Picatinny scope rings and try a scope on my Bushmaster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the marketing hype rotflmo

The only system I know worked was the one installed on M16A1 light barrels consisting of a flashhider and a counter nut pushing on the bayonet lug to produce tension on the barrel.
it is a kind of copy of what the French Army Technical Dpt did in 1965 on the light barrel of the french precision rifle FRF1, the flash hider really dampens the vibration when tightened a certain way.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sort of like an inexpensive Man's Boss system .

Browning Stalker Uses this system . my .338 Win Mag does a little better with it than with out .

If I would spend more time developing loads for it , then who knows may even work better ?.

So many other milder reporting weapons to have fun with . That's one of my hunting units so it only needs to be so accurate and deliver bullets out too 400 Yd. . I never shoot game animals beyond that any longer . Just personal ethics .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
hey woods

definetly improved the looks of the inside of your shooting box throwing that dog#%$& away. just imagine all of the grief you were spared. now that i think of it' i'll send you a bill for that too. jumping

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote