THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: .222 Rem loads with current components??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .222 Rem loads with current components??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I must have the only .222 that hates IMR 4198, but it loves H322. However, some sources list 24.0 grains of H322 as max, but I can't use that much, and I'm over 3200 fps with less. The 40 grain V-Max seems to run out of steam by 200 yards and I've had better luck with 50 grain bullets.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
52gr speer HP's and imr4198.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the rascals, a Sako Varminter and a Remington 40XBBR. I'd be hard pressed to pick between IMR4198 and IMR4895. Both really do an excellent job with 52gr HPs. I use the Sierras which aren't really hunting bullets per Sierra, but because I buy them in groups of 500 I always have plenty around and just load them up for woodchuck as needed. Generally I'll use 23.5 of IMR4895 or 20.5 of IMR4198. Both give velocities of 3000-3100fps and print in the .2"s and .3"s in my rifles (5 at 100yds.). I've recently been working with VihtaVouri 133 in these rifles, and that's also very accurate. I guess there's not much these rifles don't like. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like the old loads still work fine. I have several hundred 50 gr Speers and a smattering of all sorts of other stuff from 40 gr Hornet slugs to Calhoun and Sierra Match bullets. And a mess of solid base Noslers from way back when too.

Should have the rifle after the 1st of the year , Feb at the latest. I'll post a full report.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I like H335 and BLC-2 for the triple deuce. My "do-all" load is a spendy one with 53g TSX bullets. An even 23g and a CCI BR small rifle primer chrones at 3120 from a 24" Douglas premium #4 on a Rem.722 action with a 1 in 12 twist. I shoot in the 4's with this one. My other varmit load is the 50g Hornady SX with 24.6g of Blc-2. This one shoots in the 4's as well and chrones @ the same speed. If Rob B. at Cooper is still working there say "hi" for me. I was there @5 yrs. ago and picked up some trashbags of dark walnut shavings for the smokehouse. When you're in that area stop by HSM ammo in Stevi and stock up on your reloading supplies. Bill Campbell will treat you right and has an impressive collection of guns to look at if he's around.

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Europe, Vihtavuori N133 seems a popular choice in combination with bullets areound 50-53 grs. That is likely all that will stabilize in a 1:14" barrel - the standard .222 Rem twist.

The new VV manual specifies 24.6 grs max for a 52 grs Sierra HPBT Match bullet in Lapua cases. Using RWS cases with a bullet seated out quite a ways, my loads were compressed from about 22.5 grs, so how Lapua managed to get an additional 2.1 grs into the case is a bit of a mystery to me...

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Maybe a long drop tube, very very long.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

mho:

Try N130, I've had good luck in one my dueces with that powder. It will fit. I get both excellent velocity and accuracy.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you want to stick to the 45-50's but don't overlook the 40 V-Max. Two weeks ago I shot a 5/8" group at two hundred yards with H4198, WSR and the 40, blew me away. At 100 a tiny little hole.
Like one other gentleman said the 50 Sierra Blitz not the BlitzKing is also a great bullet.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RWS brass is very, very thick.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
In my CZ 527 .222, 8208, Blue Dot, 2230-c, Accurate 4064,and wcc844 have produced some good accuracy. The powders do not seem to be the critical ingrediant; the bullet selection has proven to be of greater importance.A-Maxes, and balistic tips work well. The only bad performers have been most 55gr. FMJs and Barrier 60 grainers. Everything else seems good or great. Enjoy you triple duce. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank: My .222 loves the 50 grain Speer TNT. Both H4895 and H-335 do equally well with it. As others have mentioned, it takes 23.5 grains of H4895 and a little more of H-335 (but caution here, as your mileage may vary, you're well aware.) The 50 grain TNT is pretty economical in the 1000-round pacs, but there are a lot of VERY good .22 bullets out there to try that might do as well.

I don't try to hotrod my .222 (Why should I? I have a .223, .222Magnum, and a couple of .22-250's if I want more speed.) But most loading data for the .222 is held to several thousan PSI (or CUP, take your choice) below the .223 and .222 Magnmum. This is for no reason I can see, so long as the cases and actions are the same, or of the same relative strength. If you want to load the .222 up to the same pressure level as the .223, you won't lack more than maybe 50 fps velocity, bullet for bullet.

By the way, my .222 Magnum doesn't shoot anything nearly as well as the old Nosler Solid Base bullets, and I'm just plumb near out of them. If you ever want to turn any of yours loose, be sure to drop me a line.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 25.0/BL-C(2) with the 50 gr. Sierra semi-spitzer, 50 gr. Rem. core-lokt HP, or the 50 gr. Nosler ballistic-tip. 27.5/BL-C(2) works well with the Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullet. I use Rem. brass with Rem. 7-1/2 primers. I use mostly the 50 gr. Rem. HP on varmints because they are easy to get. I think the 50 gr. Sierra semi-spitzer is the most explosive due to the amount of lead exposed, but it doesn't shoot quite as flat. The Sierra is also extremely accurate. The .222 is good for 90% of my prairie dog shooting. I also like to take along the .22-250 and 6mm. Rem. for the longer shots, and to let the .222 cool for awhile.