THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .223wssm and chromelined barrels

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223wssm and chromelined barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Oh mighty AR Oracle.

Who(barrelmaker) does Chromelined barrels?. I read in the following artical it apparently improve barrellife when shooting superspeedsters like the .223WSSM

http://www.browning.com/librar...ews/detail.asp?id=79

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of anybody who will chrome-line somebody else's barrel, and I don't know of any chrome-lined .223 WSSM barrels either.

however, various persons will nitride or QPQ a barrel, and it is said to be better than chrome lining.

if I had a barrel whose life I sought to extend, I believe that is where I would start.

if you must have an aftermarket .223 WSSM barrel, chrome lined, try olympic arms. they sell chrome-lined AR-pattern barrels, and they have a .223 WSSM AR (unknown if chrome-lined in that gun). maybe they can do one for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new FN bolt rifles, produced in SC, have chrome lined bores. Local law enforcement has returned those for refund and moved on in another direction. If the chrome is applied over tool marks, the barrel will never "Break-in".

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing info.

I have always wondered what kind of barrelsteel they use on 20mm Vulcan Gatlings and similar?. Each barrel on a minigun in .308 must still be able to eat heat even though they get cooled down in the rotationproces , the RPM will still takes its bite.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens,

I believe I remember reading that those barrels are made of Stellite, but that's stretching my memory.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote