New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet factory loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used the Winchester Supreme 34gr loads or the Hornady Varmint? 50 round boxes of Winchester seem to be a better bargain. Thanks.

Posts: 57 | Location: Leraysville, Pa. | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

You are right,the Premium 34 g Hornady and Winchester loads are more $$ than the 40g loads.

I have been shooting Hornets now for several years.Personally ,if the accuracy is equal,I prefer the 40g loads.The 34g bullets offer more "splat" out to about 125yards BUT their Ballistic coeffiecient is so bad that they really loose punch and drift badly past 150yards.

If your rifle does not shoot any of the 40g loads well ,I would try the lighter Hornady and Winchester offerings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady Vmax load can be 'duplicated' by using 12.3gr of H110 in Win cases (neck sized)with CCI small pistol primers at 1.715" COl. The max Hornady load is 12.3gr of H110 with Win WSR primers. I have not bought Frontier cases - as used by Hornady.
I found the factory load to have a severe crimp and accuracy could be improved when reloading by using a lighter crimp. I have not yet tried this combination with no crimp...one day?

Regards...

.......Titan