THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: New Here -- Any more reduced loads for .223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Here -- Any more reduced loads for .223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
REDUCED .223 LOADS:
Loads are with Win. 748 and a 55 grain bullet.
Normal--26.5 gr

1850 fps--5.6 grains of UNIQUE.
You might waant to get the Lee program. It has a way to reduce loads.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loner -

A couple winters ago we worked on reduced 223 loads. The first thing we discovered was that the heavier bullets (50gr and above) needed more velocity to stabilize (in a 1:12 barrel) than we were going to give them with a reduced load... so then we went the other direction and started looking at "reduced" loads but for the very light bullets, and came away quite pleased. [As an intro: we were looking at powders btwn green dot and 2400 in terms of speed (faster then GD didn't make sense, and slower then 2400 had huge ES/SD's).] The best single bullet we found was Berger's 30gr MEF; and the single best powder was VVN350. For that combination, although the velocities don't look reduced, the charge weights definately were. (all targets were 10 shots at 50 yards from the bench.)

vvn350 7.0gr mv 2350fps sd 19fps gs .99"
vvn350 8.0gr mv 2594fps sd 9.7fps gs .86"
vvn350 9.0gr mv 2814fps sd 13fps gs .84"
vvn350 10gr mv 3012fps sd 9.8fps gs .64"

The other combination that we found worked well was GreenDot and the 35gr Vmax

GrnDot 7.0gr mv 2387fps sd 13fps gs 1.02"
GrnDot 8.0gr mv 2566fps sd 17fps gs 1.16"

Not exactly "reduced" velocities, but clearly reduced loads. [Berger was loaded at 2.200", RP brass WSR primer; Vmax at 2.125" RP and WSR].

Hope that helps... and do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Or dump the charge in a container you can easily see into, then into the case with a powder funnel.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good point 99.I get very serious avoiding double charges.My method is:All empties upside down in one block.Transferred to other block & charged with a Lee dipper.Then to press to seat bullet.One cartridge at a time is charged and seated.No block charging,to easy for me to double charge that way.Of course dip charge is always checked on a scale first.It's not hard to double charge if not paying attention.These fast powders will blow up guns and body parts with double charges!I know most here know these things but there is always new reloaders reading these forums.Be careful and be safe.Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful that any load is not double charged. One should look into every cartridge before seating a bullet. With fast burning powders and reduced loads regular light is not sufficiant in particular with .224's. A flashlight is needed. Use one every time.

My formula for "Hornet" loads is 1/2 of the normal charge but substituting IMR SR 4759. Since a 223's normal load is 26 grs or so the #4759 load would be 13 grains. This will give a 40 gr bullet about 2800 fps with most .224" cartridges.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Did you see the reduced loads in the Reloading Pages at the home page of this site?Maybe those are what you meant when you asked"Any more reduced loads for .223".There are loads with shotgun & pistol powders ,although only using a 45 gr. Rem. SP.This may help you.Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geo -

I agree with the virtue of not being able to double charge using BlueDot... but have seen too many/much "bridging" when throwing loads (or at least this has been the case using a rcbs uniflow)... that's why we've stayed with ball, flattened ball or extruded powders.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote