New
Find
Notify
Tools

6/284 best powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the best powder for a 70 grain load in a 26" tube?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
IMR 4831?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Best for speed, or best for accuracy, or best for economy? With the 70's I'll be loading the IMR 4831.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For accuracy and speed. I couldn't care less about economy.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 6mm-284, and have found my best loads with the 70 gr using H450 powder, now sadly discontinued. I am now trying RL22, 4831 SC, and vv160. No time for testing this summer however, but hopefully when things settle down a bit. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingGoing through the cook book info and reverting back to when I was using a 6mm X .270 IMP, it would appear that one of the 4350s are indicative. That may be old hat but they still remain top shelf powders in this capacity to cal. area. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, for what it's worth, I have a Cooper in 6/284. I have been using H414 with a Berger 69 High BC bullet with VERY good results. Drop me a note for particulars if you like. Russ

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 185 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote