THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .243 Win - Inherent Erratic Performance?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Win - Inherent Erratic Performance?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Members: For the past several months, I have been doing a lot of research into reloading, as I took the hobby up again after a 30 year hiatus. On a couple of occasions I have come across statements/opinions that referred to the .243 Win as having a reputation for erratic ballistics/accuracy. Has anyone else heard or read such and perhaps any explanation of why this might be the case?
Thanks.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know whose books they have been reading or who they have been listening too.

I only have a half a dozen rifles chambered in a 243, but none of mine or any others I have owned have had problems with eratic accuracy, unless they are complaining they are not consistently getting one hole groups.

Heck, every rifle I own is a ONE HOLE SHOOTER, at least up until the second shot, lol.

Have fun with the 243 and quit listening to all the people who make complaints about everything.

Cheers and Good shooting.
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general I think the 243 is a good cartridge.

There is a note in an old Lyman handbook that states that some foreign made rifles have tight chamber necks. There was a thread here when one such rifle turned up.

Jack Belk has said here that more 243's have blown up than any other.

There is also a theory that the throat wears quick on 243's due to the shoulder angle and short neck.

The 243's that I have seen and owned have been accurate.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Have fun with the 243 and quit listening to all the people who make complaints about everything.

Good advice there!
I think my Sako ,243 has never heard about any Erratic Performance!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con: Thanks for the link - some very interesting information there.

Regards - pagris

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote