THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Winchester Coyote won't shoot

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Coyote won't shoot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy of mine just bought one in 22-250. Three shot groups averaged about 3 inches at 100 yards. We tried 50 grain Winchester Silvertips and 55 grain Remington soft points. Both produced about the same groups. The barrel had been broken in about a week earlier. Has anybody had this problem, and what did you do to fix it? Also, dies are on the way, have you found a load that your rifle likes? Thanks for the help.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Clean the bore, check the action screws, check the scope mount screws, change the scope, change the shooter.

If none of that helps, consider sending it to Winchester for inspection and possible repair.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try loosening the center screw located under the magazine floorplate. It should only be snug, not tight. I have a M70 Heavy Varmint in 22-250 that reacted the exact same way until I loosened it. By tightening that center screw, it seems to put a bind on the action. It's worth a try.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in 243win.

I had problems like that as well. I glass bedded it twice. Lightened the trigger. Put it away for a few months. Figured out my scope was garbage so switched it and now it shoots really nice. But I still resent the rifle for my own lack of being able to pick up on my scope being junk.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at the crown. I have seen this cause issues. I know a person who bought a M 70 Stealth in 22-250 it shoot 2" plus. In anger he sold the rifle for a song. A good friend of mine looked at it, bought it, took it straight to the smith had it recrowned, then shot some loads that were loaded for one of his other 22-250's. It shot a five shot group that went .381" The other posts offer good advise, as all can affect accuracy big time. Just don't over look the crown, and sell a perfectly good rifle that just needs a little help.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
try jethro's advice, it worked on my winchester

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote