Find
Notify
Tools

6X45 w/107 gr Sierra
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted
Does anyone load this combo? Do you use any powder besides H-355 or W-748? I'm loading for aan AR-20" Lilja for single feed at the 600 yard leg of high power matches. I'v got 90gr Siera FMJ's tuned in and rocking for the 200 and 300 yard legs.

Thanks for any help Wink Joe

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Joe,

That bullet is almost as long as the case..

maybe in a bolt action.. but in an AR magazine, that is pretty much going to eat up most of your case's powder capacity...

I'd pick a 90 grain Ballistic Tip and call it good..learn where to dial in your scope elevation and that should drop them right in there at 600 meters...

for an alternative and accurate powder, I'd recommend H 322, or IMR 3031... Rl 7 or RL 10..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you loading the 107s already? Does your barrel have a 1:8 twist or faster? Is the throat cut to allow a long seated bullet? Sounds like an interesting project.

One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
I built it up to be mostly an "across the course" gun. It's got a stainless hvy 3 groove 1-8" twist @20" barrel mounted onto a DPMS "billet" Lefty upper w/ a Les Bear hard chrmoe match bolt and carrier, a Tubb flat wire chrome/silicone buffer spring w/ an over weight tungston buffer. The lower is Rock River w/ match trigger. I went through the trigger and got it down to a 1-1 1/4lb 1st stage and about an additional 8oz 2nd. It has open/unlimited target sights and a 6" "bloop tube" because the rear sight is calibrated for a 32" sight radius. Also a wedge weight in the A-1 buttstock w/ an Accuracy Speaks adjustable pad. The gun weighs 13#-9oz as weighed on an NRA certified scale.

I shot it for the first time/ match this past weekend at a 300 yard any/any fun match. With the Sierra 90gr FMJ's seated to mag length. It worked perfectly. At 300 yards I could see all of the bullet impacts through the apreture sights. All 45 pieces of brass were in a pile the size of my hat about an arm's length from my waist. I will be loding the 107's for single feed w/ a "Bob Sled" loading tray and shooting them @600 yards, slow fire prone.

seafire2 - I havn't used the Rl powders very much but my buddy has several canisters maybe he will let me get enough for a few loads. Thanks for the suggestion. As far as seating depth goes w/the 107's just touching the rifling they are seated not quite as deep as the 90's are @ mag length. The 90's have a BC of .381 @ 2500 fps and the 107's are well into the .500's. I looking for the less drag the 107's offer. Now it looks like I'm going to have all winter to play w/ it because the High Power season is pretty much over for the year.

Thanks, Joe

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Good luck with it Joe...

I'd be interested in how your results turn out..and what kind of velocity you end up with...

I shot in a match at 600 and 1000 yds with the 107 Sierra, and they did real well...

however that was using a 6mm Remington...

Sierra told me that bullet performed best at 2800 fps..... and they were correct, even tho I could run it up to 3300 fps in that long actioned Model 700...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SxS-boy:
Does anyone load this combo? Do you use any powder besides H-355 or W-748? I'm loading for aan AR-20" Lilja for single feed at the 600 yard leg of high power matches. I'v got 90gr Siera FMJ's tuned in and rocking for the 200 and 300 yard legs.

Thanks for any help Wink Joe

I tried 117 VLDs in a 6mm-284, didn't stabilize at all, maybe because it started out as a 243 Winchester with a loose twist. Your 1:8" might be different. My 6x45 has 1:9.5" twist, not sure if it's good for any more than the 85 grain Noslers I shoot in it, or not. I use mostly H-335.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote