THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Effective range of the .17 Remington

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effective range of the .17 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
What is the effective range of the 17 Remington cartridge for both target and small (pd, rabbit) varmints? Any pro's or con's about this cartidge?

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got mixed feelings about the .17Rem. I have one in a Remington 700BDL. It's a finicky cuss, capable of shooting well but only when it damn well wants to. I can shoot a .3" group (5 at 100yds) but precede or follow that with a 1.2" group. This is in ideal calm conditions. It fouls quite a bit, and I often find myself cleaning every 10 or 15 rounds to restore accuracy. My problem is not with its accuracy but with its consistency. I load with Berger 25gr HPs and Hornady 20gr. VMAXs. My most accurate loads are produced with Varget powder. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a week in SE Wyoming shooting p dogs and ground squirrels.

I did the majority of my shooting with a CZ 527 varmint 17 Rem. I shot several ground squirrels at 350 yds plus measured with my Leica range finder, although the wind was not blowing at usual gale forces when I did this.

I also shot a lot of p dogs at 250 to 300 measured.

My 17 worked great and I left death and destruction all over the p dog patch.

Great fun!!!

Shep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote