New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3 .223 question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On the Tikka Sight I see that they state that the .223 has a 1 in 8" twist. This seems unusual as most are 1 in 12" or 1 in 9" at best.

Can anyone confirm this is the twist offered. If it is what weight projectile would it allow you to use upto. I'm thinking at least a 69gr. Comments from any owners appreciated.

Doc1972

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a T3 lite 223 the twist is a 1 in 12 .i dont think they offer a 1 in 8 twist in a 223 I have the T3 Hunter 6.5x55 which has the 1 in 8 twist im sure the 6.5 is the only one that has a 1 in 8 twist.

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All T3 models are delivered in 1/8 twist in cal .223. Older models did have slover twist but today maybe only one model have slow as 1/12 twist.

Posts: 64 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a T-3 Varmit in 223 and it is 1 in 8" twist, says so on the barrel.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willow:
i have a T3 lite 223 the twist is a 1 in 12 .i dont think they offer a 1 in 8 twist in a 223 I have the T3 Hunter 6.5x55 which has the 1 in 8 twist im sure the 6.5 is the only one that has a 1 in 8 twist.

Not trying to hijack the thread, and if you don't mind I have a question about the 6.5x55 Tikka... how deep is the throat cut in your T3?

I like to shoot 120's in the 6.5x55 and would like a rifle where I don't have to seat them barely into the case to get them within 0.030 of the lands...

Most 6.5x55's are throated like a weatherby...
Just curious...

Also how long is the mag box?

Thank you,

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, I've just purchased a T3 varmint stainless in 223, its also 1 in 12" twist, Beretta Aust probably have old stock, I heard they only put an order in once or twice a year.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the current specs on the TIKKA T3

TIKKA SPECS

They a making a Triple Deuce Yee Haw!

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I just took delivery of a T3 varmint 223(blue) and the barrel is stamped 1/8 twist. Mag length like the AR. Shoots 68s and 55s very well so far in reloading for it.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early on lot of mfg.'s used the 12 twist and did this for producing higher velocities w/ light bullets, 50-55grain, for that is what sold rifles. Many like to hear of high velocity numbers and the makers give them what they want. Velocity does not always equate to accuracy.
Ground hog, crow, vermin shooters often would not take shots at past 300 yards or so with the 223 class of calibers or if they did, the lighter bullets did not buck the wind or show much stability out there. The U.S. Army showed everyone with the heavier bullets, 69-80 grain weight, twists of 7-8 the 223 could deliver accuracy at ranges up to the 1000 yard mark.
At 600 yards, the accuracy of some of these rifles is hard to believe at times. Rivals that of much bigger cartridges.
Twist rates of 6.5 now available for the 90 grain bullets showing up, but have not had any personal experience with those, but can imagine it would be quite good at extended ranges.
As for your 8 twist barrel, try either the 69 Grain Sierra MK's or the 80's. Stick with the Sierra's and use their accuracy loads for there has been volumes of research done by them for a lot of folks and their loads are outstanding. I use Varget for most of mine, but others do work. Find you some Lake City mil. brass, resize couple thousands less than chamber, clean it up, clean primer pockets, trim to length, sort by weight, ream flash hole,(I know, sounds like a big waste of time, but believe me it isn't, ) seat bullet some 2-4 thousands off of rifling, and believe you will very much like the results if you do your part.
Military and civilian shooters switched over to the faster twists of 7-8 over 10 years ago and those Sierra HP MK bullets do wonders on varmints and even if you do miss, at 4,6,8 hundred yards, you usually get the second or third shot for they have not figured out where it is coming from.
Good Luck

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Not trying to hijack the thread, and if you don't mind I have a question about the 6.5x55 Tikka... how deep is the throat cut in your T3?

I like to shoot 120's in the 6.5x55 and would like a rifle where I don't have to seat them barely into the case to get them within 0.030 of the lands...

AllanD

Allan,
The magazine in my T3 Hunter 6.5 x 55 is 3.372"; Max OAL with a Nosler 120 BT is 3.080" (touching the lands). This rifle has shot 95 VMax, 120 NBT, 129 Hdy SST and 140 Speer HotCor SP (EVERY bullet I've tried) under an inch routinely. Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumbo:
Hey Doc, I've just purchased a T3 varmint stainless in 223, its also 1 in 12" twist, Beretta Aust probably have old stock, I heard they only put an order in once or twice a year.

I too have purchased a Varmint in 223 a few weeks ago thinking it was a 1:8" barrel. There is no twist rate stamped on the barrel. However, it shoots the 50 & 55 gr VMax bullets down to 0.4" groups. I tried the 68 gr and couldn't even get it on paper. How far can you shoot the 55 gr accurately and how heavy a bullet can a 1:12" barrel reliably push?

Please share some of your experience.

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny Boy

I havn't fired my rifle yet and it will probably be a few weeks untill I do.

I want to use bullets in the 50 to 60 grain range and the gunshop owner has assured me that the 1 in 12 twist will handle bullets around the 55 grain mark real well, i'll let you know how they go when I try them out.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The newer T3's do show to be 8" twist, I was ready to buy a new Tika but wanted 12" twist so waiting. Alot of Manufactures going to 7,8,9" twist for heavier bullets, Looked at a Browning but pretty steep price compared to Tikka and having both, the Tikka alot better gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Tumbo, would like to hear how the Tikka shoots, if it's like most T3's you should have a shooter. Wink

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote