THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    RE: Pecos45 - 257 Roberts vs 243

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RE: Pecos45 - 257 Roberts vs 243
 Login/Join

<WSJ>
posted
Pecos45:
I've got to agree completely that factory 257 Rbts are somewhat below the cartridge's potential when used in a new, modern rifle. I have experienced no problems in several loads at or above the +P loadings listed in some manuals. It's not surprising since the SAAMI maximum pressures are pretty low if you're using modern brass in a modern firearm. But even with factory loads or mild handloads it works like a charm on deer.

I do have to say that I can't completely agree that it makes a 243 look silly. Recall I emphasized that for me it's a preferred round over the 243, not necessarily a better killer. I own and have used both and the way the 257 reliably produces exit wounds on broadside or angling shots makes me give it the nod. Not to say you can't get that from a 243 if you're careful in bullet selection, just that I think the 257 is more capable even without premium bullets.

To the 243's credit, I've seen some data from a private hunt club compiled over several years and totaling in excess of a thousand deer that suggests that 243's are extremely efficient deer killers, as are light bullets at high velocities in a number of other common deer calibers. I don't recall the exact number of deer but still have the data and a very preliminary summary; this was unpublished data at the time and I don't know if the biologist ever published it but he should! The key, though, was that these deer were shot from fixed stands and, unless the deer was obviously dead in plain view, the hunters were not allowed to get down from the stands or go look for deer that had run out of sight. The club used trained dogs and handlers to find deer, at which they were very successful. The ranges at which the deer were shot were measured, as was the distance the deer moved after being hit. Shot placement was also detailed. A lot of good information.

Long and short: the 243 was a better killer than I would have believed possible.

But it doesn't change my preference for the 257 since I don't often hunt in such a controlled situation and I have had several experiences of having to look long and hard through some ugly thickets for deer shot with a 243 that were dead, within 50-100 yards from where they were shot, with no exit wounds, and a blood trails like you might leave after you nicked yourself with a razor!

I might add that I've no qualms about shooting deer with a 300 Win. with 180 gr Ballistic Tips, even in thick stuff and right off the muzzle a few times. Yeah, it almost always ruins some meat, but I haven't lost a deer I've hit with it and a blood trail is usually pretty obivous.

Everyone else: I'm not, repeat, not casting aspersions at the 243 or anyone's choice in using it. Gun writers and other folks with lots more experience than me have said the same thing about light calibers and how critical shot placement and bullet selection are for years. -WSJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WSJ - I have always hated the .243 and mostly because I blamed it and the advertising geeks that HYPED the .243 to the moon for the demise of the Roberts.

I think a lot of fine cartridges have been sacrificed for purely marketing purposes, i.e. firearms companies dumping a cartridge and putting a new one on line just to simplify production and not have to make BOTH cartridges.

MY 243 & Roberts usually went varmint hunting with me together. Basically I would shoot one varmint with one and then the next with the other rifle. Had LOTS of mixed results with the .243. But there was never a question with the Roberts. If I hit them with it...they died. Quick.

Yeah, I know a lot of this was screwy bullets. Back then .243 bullets just seemed like crap.

But I know I was prejudiced as hell.

Well, now I don't have my beloved Roberts. Sacrificed it long ago when I needed money worse. Instead I've got a new .243. WHY? Just because I want to give this cartridge ONE last chance to impress me. I've kind of decided it's a very misunderstood and MISUSED cartridge.

By the way, a Texas game warden told me a few years ago that he thought the .243 accounted for more wounded and lost deer than any cartridge out there.

So, I don't know. I'm gonna try to find out for myself. I know what the Roberts will do but the jury is still out for the .243 in my mind.

Happy trails! [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<WSJ>
posted
Hey, Pecos45, shoot 'em up! I haven't fooled with any premium bullets except Partitions in 243, but they shoot OK and work as expected in 2 rifles. I've got to think any of the other controlled expansions bullets will too. -WSJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WSJ - I've promised the little .243 it can deer hunt with me this year. I kinda worry that a partition bullet may go thru a Texas Whitetail like an AP round. So, I'm a little nervous about bullet selection. The gun LIKES the Hornady 70gr SX, but I figure that would ruin 1/4 of the meat. Not a deer bullet in my book. But I got a 1,000 bulk pack of 85 gr soft points, Winchester I think. They would probably do fine...but I may try something wild for my bullet since I'm "experimenting" anyhow. [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a lot of experience with 243's and 6MM Remington rifles. I didn't always use 100 grain bullets especially at first because the early Wincherster power point opened too slowly to suit me but I got an exit 3/4 of the time and most of the time the deer went down inside of twenty yards. I never lost a deer shot with either round. Steve, a 243 booster, one of my hunting partners always chided me for using a cannon if I took my 30-06 and neither of us felt the bigger gun killed quicker on deer but it definitly had an edge on elk. This year the Oklahoma deer I take will suffer the effects of the 100 grain BTSP Hornady and I am certain the demise will be quick.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken a big mulie doe with my .243 at just over 200 yards. The bullet I was using was the old Nosler solid base 85gr boat tail bullets. I happen to have used that same load on a lot of prarie dogs as well. I was very pleased to learn upon field dressing the deer that the bullet had performed like a champ. The bullet had expanded nicely and had penetrated completely on a broadside shot and stopped just under the hide on the far side of the animal.

Bottom line is that it performed just fine. With that said, I think that I would prefer to pack a little more gun in the event that I couldn't get a nice broadside shot and it would have to penetrate farther on a quartering shot. Give me a good ol' .270 anyday!

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Jeremiah Johnson>
posted
Pecos,
May I recomend a soft point bulet of your choice in the vecinity of 85 gr. I too know of the texas whitetails. A good sierra should take them like zeus' lightning rod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeramiah - The good folks at Midway sent me 500 85 gr SP for the .243. (For a price of course [Big Grin] ) I suspect that is what I'll tune of for the critters of the woods.