Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted
Deleted by User

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
DJM, I think that the standard 6.5/06 will give you a happier time as fireforming can be a bit of work. I also don't think that the additional case capacity will gain you enough to warrant the change. I shoot a 6.5/284 and there are definate similiarities in performance there... you will love whatever 6.5 you choose.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with rebarreling it to .25-06? You probably already have the dies, components, and experience to make it shine.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the last one was a blonde, and now he'd like a redhead?

But, you do have some valid factual points!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after testing a lot of 6.5 bore calibers.. I built a 6.5 x 57 ( or 6.5 x 257 Roberts, if you will)... In testing the 6.5 x 284, the 6.5/06 and the 6.5/06AI.. that I had availability to, I was able to obtain the same velocities with the same bullet weights, using less powder with the Roberts case...

Feeding was no problem which the 284 case gave feeding problems.. and the 6.5/06 and AI version consumed more powder for the same results..

If you don't like the 6.5 x 57 concept, then the 6.5 x 55 is pretty interchangable... and brass more readily available..

this was on a long action Model 70 that I built mine on, with the throat reamed out to magazine length with 140 and 142 grain Sierra Match bullets as dummy rounds...

I prefer the 6.5 bore over the 25 as it gives the same major bullet weights, plus a few more, tons of match bullet options, and bullet weights topping out at 160grains as opposed to 120 grains in the 25 cal bore...bullet selection is much more in the 6.5 bore compared to the 25 cal or 270 cal bores...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
DJM

Just for my own curiosity what kind of accuracy were you getting out of you 25-06?

I had a Tikka 695 and a semi custom Sako built on an AV action with a Shilen barrel both in 25-06 but I could never get any consistency.

Would be interested to hear your experience.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go 6.5/06 AI, the better case life is worth the extra effort, its not that big of a deal to fireform, take 25/06 cases and champher, prime, and load with a moderate 6.5/.6 load and seat a boatail bullet in them, go shooting, accuracy is pretty darned good and you can hunt while fireforming
RR

Born to Hunt, Forced to Work.

Posts: 103 | Location: Mathias wv | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:

no one wants a red head.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Paul on this one.

The standard 6.5-06 has the 25-06 beat all to hell and back. Much better bullet selection. The AI configuration looks pretty cool. If he doesn't mind the extra work of fireforming, what the heck...

Don't lean on the barrel for varmint shooting on a hot day though. Pretty easy to eat up a barrel if the rock-chucks are out in numbers.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'ld go 6.5x284. It's a happy cartridge in a std. length action & good brass is readily available.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Although I like the 25-06, my vote goes for the standard 6.5-06 or 6.5x55. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul from nz:
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:

Hey I love Redhair on a woman! I just wished it grew on a lot more PRETTY women.. most of them are usually either ugly, or big asses and flat chested..

no one wants a red head.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Paul from NZ,

You gotta be a North Islander if you have never seen a good looking red head. There are a heap of them down this way.

Met a bice one last night.

Just think of Nicole Kidman and Lindsay Lohan.

I'd give them both a crack at the title if they asked really nicely.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote