Find
Notify
Tools

Rem VSSF barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi there!.
I've got my new rifle Rem700-"VSSF"(.223) yesterday. Oh ya, i'm from Indonesia. I must ordered it and wait for around 3 months for this, lol.

My concern is about the barrel. It is fine for the countur and its bead blasted finishing. BUT, the flutes seemed like junk to me. It is "not uniform" or straight on its flute???.
It has many marks on it...."ds CH", ".223Rem", "warning-read free instruction book from REMINGTON ARMS CO..INC..ILION. N.Y. U.S.A." on the left side of the barrel, a hand mark of "204" in the bottom of the shoulder, and "REP.w" on the right side.
It is 26" length (that i consider too long) for "non magnums" cal.
I didn't check the "straightness" of the barrel yet, seemed it is straight at the bore, But seemed not for the outer side. ( i will check later on the lathe).

Does anyone can tell me if i got the "right/genuine" one from Remington???
FYI, i've got it "in parts" (not a stocked rifle, just its HS stock and the barrel???), even the action is not in my hand yet) [Confused]

Many thanks for the helps.
Sebastian.

Posts: 38 | Location: Indonesia | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sebastian:
It has many marks on it...."ds CH", ".223Rem", "warning-read free instruction book from REMINGTON ARMS CO..INC..ILION. N.Y. U.S.A." on the left side of the barrel, a hand mark of "204" in the bottom of the shoulder, and "REP.w" on the right side.

Yes, it sounds like you got a "genuine" barrel.

Did you not know that it was 26" before you bought it?

Did you get it straight from Remington, or some other way?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi there!.
I've got my new rifle Rem700-"VSSF"(.223) yesterday. Oh ya, i'm from Indonesia. I must ordered it and wait for around 3 months for this, lol.

My concern is about the barrel. It is fine for the countur and its bead blasted finishing. BUT, the flutes seemed like junk to me. It is "not uniform" or straight on its flute???.
I didn't check the "straightness" of the barrel yet, seemed it is straight at the bore, But seemed not for the outer side. ( i will check later on the lathe).

FYI, i've got it "in parts" (not a stocked rifle, just its HS stock and the barrel???), even the action is not in my hand yet) [Confused]

Many thanks for the helps.
Sebastian.

......Sounds like a vssf barrel...it should be 1-12 twist and the one I have shoots very nice.....I use commerical cases...RP-Win. and Rem 7 1/2 primers with H335 and 52molly Berger bullets and get high .2 low .3 five shot groups at 100yds on good wind days with a bag/rest and 20x scope......the 55Hornady V-Max does well also....the 26in bbl gets all the velocity out of the case size and balances well even if it is a little long for walking guns.....be sure to test the stock screw torque as it makes a BIG difference in grouping ability with the factory stock....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
I knew the length and twist before i ordered it, but i have no choice on Remington, except for Savage....(1:9twist, also 26").
I've got it from a source in my country and they said if was from Hart.
The stock is fine/genuine i believe (HS Precision but with a thin Remington butt pad). It has alum bedding and spider webbing finish.
I'm just wonder about the barrel. I didn't guess if the flutes is "bad".

Another question, did you think i can have under 2" grouping - 10shots in 300meters(=328yards)range with this rifle, say if i can do my part and good conditions?
I also gunsmith myself, but i will try first for the out of the box accuracy. Perhaps i still need truing, lapping, tune the trigger down to around 1lb-honing etc., crowning, and perhaps rebedding(the alum bedding is not too good, i mean not a perfect half circle on the lug area, also very rough, "not to fit" i believe).
I will use Sierra 52g HPBT MatchKing for the bullet, perhaps IMR 4198 or AA-2230 or Hodgdon varget for the load. Not yet find "best formula".....perhaps later.
Can you share the good loads for a .223 like mine?
Highly appreciate for the helps!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
I knew the length and twist before i ordered it, but i have no choice on Remington, except for Savage-BVSS (1:9twist,but also 26").
I've got it from a source in my country and they said if was from Hart.
The stock is fine/genuine i believe (HS Precision but with a thin Remington butt pad). It has alum bedding and spider webbing finish.
I'm just wonder about the barrel. I didn't guess if the flutes is "bad".

Another question, did you think i can have under 2" grouping - 10shots in 300meters(=328yards)range with this rifle, say if i can do my part and good conditions?
I also gunsmith myself, but i will try first for the out of the box accuracy. Perhaps i still need truing, lapping, tune the trigger down to around 1lb-honing etc., crowning, and perhaps rebedding(the alum bedding is not too good, i mean not a perfect half circle on the lug area, also very rough, "not to fit" i believe).
I will use Sierra 52g HPBT MatchKing for the bullet, perhaps IMR 4198 or AA-2230 or Hodgdon varget for the load. Not yet find "best formula".....perhaps later.
Can you share some "good" loads for a .223 like mine?
Highly appreciate for the helps!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you share some "good" loads for a .223 like mine?

I use 53 gr Sierra MK's, with 24.5 grs of Varget, and CCI BR primers. Adjust seating depth as necessary. Shoots wonderfully out of mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sebastian, Let us all know how "straight" it checks out when you check it! The worst I've seen was .0032 on a PSS 308! That was not to say it wouldn't shoot, it was just that it wasn't straight! GHD PS: The redone crown looked good to the guy who owned it! Have seen one in 17 caliber that would amaze you that it didn't rupture!! You want staight? Pay Mr Douglas 27.00 extra and he'll guarantee a staight one!!!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know later on this. Perhaps i'll get the action in the end of this week, i hope.
It will be done "at a time" when fitting the barrel to the reciever, i will know the headspace, too.
It is easy/okay if only the outer barrel not straight, but i hope not for the bore!...you know what i mean.
Since i live in Indonesia, i don't think i must send everything to the supplier back because it will take too long time and expensive shipping cost. In most cases, i must "do everything" myself. [Mad]
I still want to try its out of the box accuracy...and then see if it is shoot good or not. Let's see if i can make it more accurate.
Oh ya, i will use it for target shooting/match here. So far my best grouping just 0,8..."-5shots at 300meter using Steyr SSG-P2, and factory sniper match ammo-MEN 168gr HPBT(.308).
I hope can "reach" under 2"-10shots-300m with my new Rem....perhaps possible, perhaps not since my limitations here. I can hardly find the components (bullet,powder,primer)here...and that's my biggest limitation.