THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best short or super short action?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best short or super short action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
What is your choice for the best action for a .222 or .223. I was recently fondling a Vixen at a local gun shop and I have to say I am in love. It made me wonder though if the Riihamaki was any better, these are hard to come by in Montana btw so I can't compare myself. Also my Browning in .223 wssm has a stock geometry that seems very close to the factory vixen. So is a Browning SSA a cheaper substitute for the vixen given your experience. The action definitely isn't as smooth but time and polishing might fix that.

Is there another action that would be comparable?

Question:
Best short or super short action.

Choices:
Vixen
Riihamaki
Browning SSA
Mini X mauser
Remington 788
Cz 527
Remington 700 or 7
Other, please specify

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
To my mind there is only one real choice and that's the Sako L461 or AI (Vixen) action. You won't be disppointed! Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dr. Lou. The rifle sold under the name "Vixen" is really built on an "L461" action - or possibly its successor and close relative, the "A1". There is VERY little difference between an L461 and an A1: the bolt shroud was closed on the A1, and the extractor is a bit wider. Other than that, I can't detect any differences. My L461 is smoother than my A1s, but whether that comes from useage, I don't know (bought them all second hand).

The rifles often listed under the name Riihimaki are L46 actions - the predecessor to the L461. In my opinion, the L46 is NOT as desirable an action as the L461/A1. The L46 has a detachable magazine, which, apart from possibly loosing the mag, almost precludes an L46 to be chambered in calibers such as .223 or .222 Rem Mag. I'm also not crazy about the way the bolt shroud (with shroud mounted safety) looks on the L46. The trigger is different than the L461/A1, and I always thought the L46 trigger guard looked a lot like a cheap stamp-job...

To me it is the L461 or the A1!

Btw the name "Riihimaki" is just the location of the Sako factory.

If you are looking for the ULTIMATE in accuracy, one of the bench rest type actions (Borden, Stiller, Nesika etc) might be a better bet. They can be had in single shot, which stiffens up the action quite a bit. The very best after market triggers (Jewell etc) are available for these actions, and they are probably a touch above the (factory) Sako actions in terms of dimensional integrity. I have not found these actions to be as smooth as an L461, though.

- mike

P.S. somebody is selling this little gem on Gunsamerica right now... No, it is not cheap, but it looks like a sweet little rifle...

Letiecq Custom L461

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a factory SAKO 223 sporter [skinny barre] on the Vixen action. I shot the barrel out over several years of prairie dog hunting in Wyoming.

I had Shilen rebarrel it and it shoots better than ever.

Since I have gone over to the Blaser r 93 for my bolt rifle I now have one of those in 223.

My brother has the SAKO.

It is a very slick action. Never any feeding, or ejection problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In its class, the Sako L461 has to be the Valedictorian. The A-I is essentially the same action and I like it as well. I have only recently acquired my first L46, and while I like most of the features of the L461 better, it is also a fine little action with a trigger that is like cracking a tiny glass tube. Mine has the old style left hand wing safety, a nice feature to my thinking. The later S491 has a larger diameter action and is somewhat heavier than its predecessors. I think the same is true of the M75-I.

The Kimber of Oregon 84 was a nice action, and very nearly a peer of the Sako. All I have tried were rather stiff, but I assume that they loosen up with a bit of usage.

The Zastava "Mini Mauser", (Interarms, Chas Daly, now Remington 799) is a decent little action, but nothing like as smooth and refined as the Sako.

The CZ 527 is a bit cluncky, with an enormous bolt root that requires very high scope mounting, a protruding magazine, and worst of all, a backwards safety. It has a great trigger, but its other shortcomings rule it out for a custom rifle.

The small version of the Weatherby Mark V that used for the .224 Wby Mag is so rare as to be pointless to mention.

I think that Krico may have had a nice mini action years ago. So did Anschutz, but I've recently seen a thread on it that appears it is a rather weak design.

The current bolt action world badly needs a .223-sized quality action. Even worse, we are in need of a .22 Hornet-Bee-Jet action properly sized for those tiny rounds. Cooper comes closest on both, but it is expensive and mostly available only in single shot.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek wrote:
quote:
In its class, the Sako L461 has to be the Valedictorian.

Ditto to Stonecreek's observation.

I know your question was for "best." For utility grade, however, the little Interarms Mini-Mauser certainly warrants consideration. It is not nearly as refined as the L461 but certainly does the job.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9371 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:

Btw the name "Riihimaki" is just the location of the Sako factory.

If you are looking for the ULTIMATE in accuracy, one of the bench rest type actions (Borden, Stiller, Nesika etc) might be a better bet. They can be had in single shot, which stiffens up the action quite a bit. The very best after market triggers (Jewell etc) are available for these actions, and they are probably a touch above the (factory) Sako actions in terms of dimensional integrity. I have not found these actions to be as smooth as an L461, though.

- mike

P.S. somebody is selling this little gem on Gunsamerica right now... No, it is not cheap, but it looks like a sweet little rifle...

Letiecq Custom L461
I am actually looking for the ultimate walking varmint/predator rifle. As I said before I fell in love with the Vixen I was lucky enough to hold. I was just wondering if any other (super)short actions out there that were held in higher regard. I am not looking for a benchrest rifle at all. Anything under 1" MOA at 200 yards will work for me.

Do all factory Sako Vixen rifle stocks have the palm swell?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrosVentreGeorge:
I am not looking for a benchrest rifle at all. Anything under 1" MOA at 200 yards will work for me.

Do all factory Sako Vixen rifle stocks have the palm swell?

In that case, the L461/Vixen would be an excellent choice. It the factory trigger does not suit you, there is the Timney, which is rumoured to be safely adjustable to about 1 lbs (factory guarantees 1.5 lbs). Sadly, the Timney safety requires some work, unless you are happy to remove a big chunk of the stock...

All the Sako Vixen and Hunter stocks I have handled with the Monte Carlo comb have had the palm swell. That thing is just such an endearing feature!! It makes the stock fit me like a glove - in fact so well, I have the Sako rear stock copied for my custom stocks... I'm not sure the Sako "Classic" stock (straight comb) had the palmswell - somebody else might help here?? I've never seen a Vixen with a Classic stock, though??

I bought an L461 in .222 Rem with a heavy barrel (Garcia era gun...) on Gunbroker just the other week. I may have paid more than what you US guys are prepared to pay, but at least the guns are available...

There are L461 and A1s out there with a Sako target trigger. They usually come at a premium, and are getting pretty hard to find. You can tell the target trigger from the two holes in the trigger guard, and the trigger shoe sits further forward in the trigger guard compared to the regular trigger. The Sako target trigger is safely adjustable to just above one lbs. Nice trigger.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure the Sako "Classic" stock (straight comb) had the palmswell - somebody else might help here?? I've never seen a Vixen with a Classic stock, though??

Mike

The classic doesn't have the palm swell.

I've seen one 222 on a classic stock - very rare I think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the U.S., only the late Stoeger imports and afterward came with a palm swell. The "palm swell" stocks can be identified by a rounded rather than somewhat angular fore end. Everything imported by Firearms International, Garcia, and about the first half of Stoeger's imports will be without the palm swell.

I personally don't care for the palm swell, but it is certainly a matter of taste. I can contend that I have better taste than you do, but my good taste and $4.00 will buy your choice of a cup of coffee at Starbucks or a gallon of unleaded (if you act quickly, that is).

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff guys, you are the reason AR has a bunch to offer!

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could somebody explain the pre Garcia thing to me. Is there a general bias one way or the other?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All the Sako Vixen and Hunter stocks I have handled with the Monte Carlo comb have had the palm swell. That thing is just such an endearing feature!! It makes the stock fit me like a glove - in fact so well, I have the Sako rear stock copied for my custom stocks... I'm not sure the Sako "Classic" stock (straight comb) had the palmswell - somebody else might help here?? I've never seen a Vixen with a Classic stock, though??
- mike

Amen brother, they feel so good you don't want to put them down.

quote:
I bought an L461 in .222 Rem with a heavy barrel (Garcia era gun...) on Gunbroker just the other week. I may have paid more than what you US guys are prepared to pay, but at least the guns are available...

- mike

I am looking to spend about a grand. I figure that is what it would take to get a nice one. Hopefully by the end of summer I will be able to swing it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could somebody explain the pre Garcia thing to me. Is there a general bias one way or the other?

Others will be able to tell you the "whole truth" (see also below), but until such time, I think the story goes something like this...

At one point in time, the "Garcia" company (the fishing people) became the US importer for Sako. It transpires Garcia initiated changes in the Sako product lineup which are generally considered to have been for the worse.

I have seen references to all sorts of supposed changes (and gripes), but it is kind of hard to get a handle on what is fact and what is fiction.

I have heard a claim action sizes were changed. I'm somewhat sceptical about this. At least some of the Garcia guns were shipped with components which existed in the pre-Garcia era - e.g. L461 actions. Secondly, even when Stoeger became the importer of Sako, they were selling "Ax" (e.g. A1) actions, and at least in that action, there is no size difference I'm aware of compared to the L461.

I have heard claims of poor "Garcia era" barrels. Not sure whether this is the truth??

The one place where it seems obvious (to me) that changes were made concerns the stocks. Garcia era stocks are somewhat more angular than Sako stocks I have seen from other periods. But then again, stock styles seem to change over time with most rifle manufacturers, so I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

All in all, some changes were probably made. Whether it was the wholesale cheapening of the Sako production line it is often made up to be, I'm not sure. In any event, "pre-Garcia" is often used as a marketing item. I'm sure it has relevance to Sako collectors, I'm not in a position to verify whether the changes are of great relevance to shooters??

I had stored this post (probably from AR - no longer sure) on my local machine. I hope the original poster will not mind my reposting this. I added a few paragraphs, something the original post was a bit short on... The post sheds light on the various US importers and owners of the Sako company, and also deals with the (perceived) quality of Garcia era Sakos. Please note, I have no way of verifying whether the claims made are the truth or not.

quote:
Posted by
verhoositz

Reged: 01/23/03
Loc: Carrollton, Texas, USA Re: stoeger sako
#238853 - 11/19/03 12:54 AM

There are a few people who frequent this forum that are exquisitely knowledgable about the early SAKO products, unfortunately I am not one of them, even though I worked for Stoeger from '82 thru '88.

It is my understanding that the family owned Stoeger Co imported SAKO prior to the Garcia Corp's 1970? thru 1974 era during the time the Stoeger retail/wholesale operation was located in Manhatten on Fifth Avenue just down the street from Abercrombie and Fitch and was part of that era of fine primarily european Hunting products that were offered to well heeled and discriminating sportmen from sometime in the 1920's, throughout the late 40's, 50's, 60's until sometime in the very late 60's when the decision was made by SAKO's Finnish ownership to switch to Garcia for the US distribution until about 1974.

Sometime in the 70's the Stoeger retail operation or even earlier was closed and the distribution operation was moved to South Hackensack, New Jersey. Nokia's ownership involvment occurred I think about the time the decision to drop Garcia and the Stoeger family was bought out and a partnership agreement was formed by Nokia owned SAKO div with the Spanish family that owned Llama Firemarms to operate Stoeger.

That partnership operated Stoeger with US management from sometime in the early to mid 70's to the late 80's or very early '90s. During that time Stoeger imported many European and later South American and even for a short time a line of South Korean firearms.

The split in the Stoeger partnership in the 90's was after the joining of SAKO and Tikka corporately in Finland under Nokia's direction with the consolidation of some production in the Rihimakki plant and included all senior management in 1983 or 84 in Finland with Mattii Packalen as managing director and later apparantly caused Nokia to sell its Stoeger interest and sell the SAKO/Tikka operation to Beretta in 2001.

My photo's taken during my plant tour of 1984 show the logo on the entrance tower at the Rihimaaki plant as SAKO/Tikka and I can remember being surprised to see it so soon after the announcement. The Llama distribution went to another distribution channel along with a previous Stoeger management team under George Sodini Sr who had been president of Stoeger for many years and had engineered the Nokia/Llama partnership but the SAKO/Tikka product line stayed with the downsized Stoeger operation until after the relocation to Wayne NJ along with the South American Gaucha Shotgun line of products and the Stoeger Publishing group.

The South Korean Daewoo products were never successfully established in the United States to my knowledge and dropped shortly before I left in Nov of 1988 in the third management reorganization I went thru. I was offered several other firearms lines in the fall of 1988 but was burned out with the treatment by the last Stoeger management team and left the Industry.

Bofors Steel is/was a Swedish manufactured product reknowned for its strength and heat resistance and is/was highly prized by the US Navy for antiaircraft guns - think of all the old WWII war films of the pompom guns blasting forever at enemy fighters ...those were properly known as Bofors Guns.

IMHO any SAKO with "Bofors" stamped on the barrel will be a pre Garcia or a carryover piece of inventory that was on hand during the change to Garcia and is a quality product to be valued.

Early Garcia SAKO's get a bad rap for a disparate difference in quality and the early stuff is a great bargain because it was built to the earlier standards of high quality.

However in a short time the Garcia Corp was guilty of over selling the SAKO plant's hand finished level of excellence in production capacity and then demanding that various production shortcuts be made to reach the Garcia's sales forecasts...even though Garcia never sold as many rifles as they promised the factory...and then dumped the inventory and gutted the reputation of SAKO with the cheaper quality product and whored up the price structures to sell the junky product they demanded just as they have done with the original Ambassdeur fishing reels.

As I Repp'ed the Stoeger lines in the southwest for 6 years I saw many new and unsellable Garcia SAKO's still on dealers racks and heard the rightly justified complaints from store owners and retail customers regarding the poor quailty of the late production Garcia labled product.

I've never seen a Garcia SAKO shoot absolutly horrible as I did when I was running a multi state distributor with some very surprising name brand but poor performing firearms lines, but certainly not on average with what the pre and post Garcia SAKO's were capable of.

Most of the Garcia SAKO's I've seen also had a very poor quality laquer finish and frequently were never cured properly and still sticky to the touch some 10 or more years later.

In my years with Stoeger I became responsible for selling a significant part of the world production of SAKO but I concentrated on the product that was produced from the 1979/80 time frame to the introduction of the initial runs of the fiberglass rifles and later the smaller redesigned lite weight rifles in 1988. I can tell you that those old bigger guns shoot well and why.

I left the gun industry and all hunting and firearms activities from 1988 untill just a few years ago and no longer have any affiliation with Stoeger, SAKO or any other manufacturer...but I enjoyed my 6 years at Stoeger (and the previous 6 years at a regional distributor based in Dallas)and made many friends in Finland and here in the States. I hope this sheds a little light on the Stoeger aspect of the your SAKO.
Ron

Regarding current second hand Sako prices:
Being from outside the US, I only see the part of the used gun market taking place on the Internet - i.e. I have no access to gunshows, pawn brokers, used gun racks etc. The figure of about $1K for an L461 in good condition is not out of the question - at least not on the Internet. Give or take a few hundred $$$, that is the range in which the guns are advertized. Whether one could be had cheaper via other channels, I can't really answer.

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Kimber of Oregon M84 barreled action years ago. I rebarreled with a Kreiger and chambered it in .223 and made a stock for it.

I rate the actions as "OK." Mine was stiff when I got it and I figured it would loosen up with a little use. Never has. I am toying with the idea of reworking the action, but it is waaaaay down on my priority list right now. Maybe one day I will get around to it - but in truth I doubt it! Big Grin

The little 461 Sako would be my choice if I were to sink that much time into another small bore "walking around" light weight varmint rifle.

BTW-Sakos are no longer made in Riihimaki. I am told they do have a nice firearms museum there, but I have not been to it. I used to go through Riihimaki all the time and kick myself for never taking the time to visit. Oh well, maybe I will go back to Finland one day.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat in disagreement with Verhoositz take on Garcia Sakos. First, let me state that I am a pre-Garcia enthusiast and comb the corners of the Earth looking for well-preserved pre-Garcias. I do, however, own and shoot several Sakos imported between 1972 and 1978 by Garcia (and a few even later from Stoeger).

In terms of average accuracy, the Garcias may have the edge. This is generally because they have a slighly heavier barrel, one of the big differences in "pre" and post. The barrel steel and manufacture are exactly the same -- the famed "Bofors Steel" mark being nothing other than a mark, one which was dropped about 1969-70 due, I have been told, to the objections of the company in neighboring Sweden who actually owned the name.

The stocks differ mainly in the Garcias being slightly beefier, with thicker grips and heavier foreends. The comb height was increase a bit, also. The stocks were also generally of better quality wood than "pre's", particularly in the Deluxe. Prior to Garcia, many of the stocks on the Deluxes were of very plain wood. The quality control of the checkering also improved. A few "pre's" had truly amatuerish checkering.

The luster of the bluing was dulled a bit on the standard model Garcias, but the high luster of the Deluxe models remained.

There were other changes like adopting sling studs for QD swivels instead of fixed swivels, and dropping the third or "safety" lug at the rear of the L61R bolt.

Mike is justified in his skepticism of Garcias being "larger" actions. All of the L461's, L579's and L61R's maintained identical dimensions, as did the similar A-I, A-II, A-III, and A-V actions. When the changeover to the S-series occured, I believe that the Vixen action (L-491) grew in diameter and weight. This may be where the erroneous reference comes in.

Most of the guns imported by Garcia were very nice guns. The Garcia Model 72 (not to be confused with the P72, a rimfire/Hornet action) was a "stripped down" bargain model. Curiously, they went to the expense to add a rear open sight, the first that Sako had offered in many years. The Model 72 was soon replaced by the Super 74, which was for all intents and purposes a return to the pre-Garcia standard grade sporter except for the polish of the blue and the barrel/stock contours.

I've never encountered any problem with the varnish (polyurethane, I believe) on any of them, pre or post. Some of the oldest Sakos do show finish checking, much like many older Brownings.

The "pre" recoil pads were famous for disintegrating. Some went squishy and others simply crumbled. This was due to inconsistent chemical curing by whomever the subcontractor. Later pads usually held up fairly well. Fortunately, most of my pre's have recoil pads that are holding up reasonably well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you determine a Garcia from a pre Garcia? Are the Garcia era Sako's actually marked Garcia somewhere on the action?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you determine a Garcia from a pre Garcia? Are the Garcia era Sako's actually marked Garcia somewhere on the action?

I don't know when this regulation was put into place, but I believe guns currently imported into the US must show the importing company's name. The Stoeger imported Sakos (post-Garcia) I have handled have all been marked as such - more often than not under the barrel.

I don't know if this is the case for the Garcia imported guns as well??

From verhoositz' post, it sounds like the Garcia period runs something like "late 60'es" - 1974. With that in hand, there is always the serial numbers to compare.

There are several sources for checking serial numbers against manufacturing dates:

- the Sako factory, at least they answered me when I wrote them an email about my first L461. Address is on their website http://www.sako.fi/

- there is a book called something like "Arma Fennica" (excuse my inadequate Finnish spelling). It can be bought on the Net, but I can't find the link to the site right now. I has been discussed in here, so maybe a judicious use of the search facility might turn up something... (See below for excerpt of serial numbers from a "remarkably similar" book).

- there is a Sako Collectors Club on http://groups.msn.com/SakoCollectorsClub/_homepage.msnw?&pps=k.

- there is AR.... Wink. Use the search function, and you might find a bunch of stuff.

I just happened across a post by AR member "XXX", who had been kind enough to provide an overview of some of the Sako serial numbers out of the "YYY" book. I had stored this post locally, and hope XXX won't mind my reposting...

(The true poster's name is known to me, but he was worried about copyright issues, and so chose not to post this publicly. In the name of international shooter cooperation, I think it would be a pity if this information would not be available to Sako lovers all over the Internet Smiler ).

quote:
From a PM post on Accurate Reloading - posted by XXX out of YYY:

Sako serial numbers:

L46:
1-6 prototypes for tests around the world
7-813 serial production guns 1942-1946

1947 -2400
1948 -4200
1949 -4700
1950 -5100
1951 -7000
1952 -10800
1953 -13800
1954 -19500
1955 -29000
1956 -35900
1957 -40117
1958 -41000
1959 -42773
1960 -54000
1961-1964 -57000 end of consecutive numbers

1964 part of the rifles were also given number from the 80700-series.

L461:
1962: 57001-59400
1963 -65996
1964 -73000
1965 -77000 (84800…Deluxe-models)
1966 -79000 (8900…Deluxe-models)

From then on ?????

L579:
1959 -10090
1960 -19500
1961 -23000
1962 -29000
1963 -34000
1964 -43000
1965 -51000
1966 -63800
1967 -72000
1968 -79300
1969 -86374
1970 -101280
1971 -109000
1972-74 -115033

L61R
1962 -3500
1963 -7000
1964 -14000
1965 -19500
1966 -23000
1967 -30000
1968 -39000
1969 -48900

L61R Celebration model
1970-1973 1001 pieces produced. No information about the numbers.

Sako VL 63, M73 Finnwolf (lever action)
1963-64 -219
1968 -2650
1969 -2983
1970 -5800
1971 -7000
1972 -9400
1973 -10148
1974 -10500

Sako Classic serials from the L579 and L61 R series. Sako Safari numbers from the L61 R series and Sako L581 from L579 series. Sako Target numbers from L579 and L461 series.

- mike

P.S. I might have found the website for purchasing the Arma Fennica book?? Sadly the website (like the book) is in Finnish, so I'm not quite how to make it work...

http://www.riistamaa.fi/cat/product_details.php?p=1415

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only some Firearms International (c. 1946-1972) imported rifles were so marked. The etching was on the underside of the barrel just in front of the forearm. To my knowledge, all Garcia (c. 1972-1978) and Stoeger (c. 1979-1999?) had the import marked etched on the underside of the barrel (except for Mannlichers, which were on the upper side of the barrel as to be visible). There was no importers mark on the actions of rifles imported as finished products; I believe that bare actions did have the importer's mark.

Often you will hear that if a rifle has no import mark that it was brought into the country by a returning serviceman who purchased it in Europe (most popularly at a base in Germany). While it is true that these individually imported guns will have no importer's mark, many (most) of the FI guns did not have the mark either, as they came in prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968. The lack of an importer's mark merely indicates that the gun is either pre-1968 or imported by an individual.

I have been told that some FI rifles had the import mark, but it was further to the rear on the underside of the barrel and thus covered by the forearm. I have not personally seen an example of this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the L461... Cool

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This auction has some interesting pictures of a Garcia imported, heavy barreled L461 in .222 Rem. In particular, note the importer's mark under the barrel...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8638797

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This auction has some interesting pictures of a Garcia imported, heavy barreled L461 in .222 Rem. In particular, note the importer's mark under the barrel...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8638797

- mike
That baby is sweet! An excellent example of what to look for on the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Did you ever find a .222 Rem??

I just came across this one, and was wondering if you might still be in the market for a Sako??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104617464

There is not a lot of technical information about the rifle, but it is an A1 action, and that is basically the same as the L461. Barrel looks medium heavy. I have a barrel in that contour and consider it an excellent compromise.

Anyway, just in case...

- mike

posted Hide Post
If you need Arma Fennica books (they are mostly written in finnish but some chapters also in english) why not try to contact the editor directly. I would think that he is more than happy to sell you a copy.

editor: timo.hyytinen (at) armafennica.fi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Remington model 7 is a great action for the .222 or .223. I have a stainless model 7 that was originally chambered in .223 until I shot out the barrel. I had it rebarreled to .222 Rem. and like it even more.

The 7 makes a great light weight predator rifle. It weighs 6 1/2 lbs with scope. I also like pairing up a Remington cartridge with a Remington action. Another thing I like about the Seven is that there is a good selection of aftermarket parts, such as scope mounts and stocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put my $0.02 in for the L461 or AI action.

Here's a pic of an L461 single-shot action, that I've since built into a 17-222 PD rifle.

BTW, nearly all of my F.I. L461 actions show the importer acid etched on the right side of the receiver, below the ejection port.

Hope this helps....

Kevin
[IMG]http://outcast.homeunix.org/uploads/SakoL461SSaction.jpg [/IMG]

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

There was a space too much in your picture URL, thus it did not display. Here is the picture:

First single shot L461 I see - I have 2 single shot A1s, though.

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike!

Yep....the single-shot AI PPC actions are nice.....and truly solid bottom actions. I've two of them also....a 22PPC and a 6mmPPC. The 6PPC will become a 20PPC PD rifle, when I get the stuff together.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to fit the serial number from the L461 action pictured above with the serial number/production year schedule even further above and I can't seem get the two to fit. The serial number on the action appears to have 6 digits when the schedule appears limited to 5-digit serial numbers. Am I reading something wrong?