THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Tikka T-3 Light stainless guy's

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T-3 Light stainless guy's
 Login/Join

posted
I have read many posts here about Tikka's . I have one in 300 win. mag. I have had a heck of a time getting a load to shoot under an inch because of the short mag . box length . I eventially did ( after 200 rounds) and it is very good, 1/2 " -- 180 gr. Nos. Part. PPT at 3055 fps .It only worked after seating them to, all but touching the end of the mag. box .This is the only one that worked because of it's shape .There is no way I could seat even close to lands and still fit magazine .I am considering another in 22-250 .Has anyone experienced the same problem in reloading the t-3 in 22-250 ? I will be using 50 gr. to 55 gr. bullets .
Tom

Posts: 21 | Location: United States | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
seems like this is the situation for most factory rifles these days, my ruger 22-250 and CZ's both are limited on bullet seating, because of the mag box. heck even my remmy in 270 can't reach the lands, I think you need a custom barrel for that

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seating out to touch the lands is not always a prerequisite to good accuracy. I have had several rifles, mostly Remingtons, that shoot very well even though I can't seat the bullet out as far as I would like. Seems like 1/2 inch groups with a good game bullet at that speed would be good enough accuracy for any reasonable shot. If you really like the gun and want to shoot lighter bullets then you might want to consider seeing a competent gunsmith and having him set the barrel back one thread and rechambering it with the proper leade/throat. This is usually a fairly inexpensive ($50-$80) fix for this problem.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add any sporter weight rifle that shoots .5" with hunting bullets, I would not touch, I would even be afraid to take off the stock.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi there I have a T3 Lite in 25-06 and love it..

Initialy thought I would have the same trouble as you have described however when I loaded a bullet out to touch the lands, to get a starting point, it would still easily feed from the magazine.

Backed off a bit from there and now its doing just under to 3/4 of an inch, its much better than I am, and two gouprs at 440yrds going around 5inches.... a better shot would beat this easily I think..

Enjoy that Tikka

Sharpie

Posts: 7 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Tikka Whitetail Hunters. One '06 and one 22-250. The '06 put three shots in an egg shaped hole last weekend with 61.5 gr. of R-19 and 150 Nosler Partition.. The 22-250 won't keep three inside of two inches with the 5 different bullets I've tried so far.
All bullets are seated to their max length the mag box will allow. I'm having the 22-250 bedded
as I write this so we'll see.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote