New
Find
Notify
Tools

wild pigs how to?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I guess the population of these things is getting to where there is bounty for them here in Alberta. How do you hunt them?
Thanks Lads. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, let's discuss the best gun to shoot them with: It's the one you're holding when you happen to see one.

I don't know what legal restrictions you may be under in Alberta, but it is most productive to (1) bait them, (2) hunt them after dark, and (3) preferably both.

If you can't bait them, then set up a stand over an agricultural crop that they like to raid. Both corn and wheat are attractive to them, as well as other crops you might have in Alberta. And watch the area until the very last legal light is gone.

If it is legal to hunt from a vehicle and at night, then driving the farm lanes with a spotlight can be productive.

Or, if you like calling, you can get a call which makes a sound like "grain rotting in a barrel of stale beer and soured milk".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option is to use a feeder of some type that throws a given amount of bait at certain times, or spread bait in an area in a repetitive pattern. Hogs are "led by their belly", and they will respond to feeders or baited spots very readily once they find them. The only down side to that is they also go almost completely nocturnal when pressure is put on them. Hence Stonecreek's statement about hunting them at night. Often they will just stand there, even in the glow of a spotlight or headlights from an automobile...

There are also those in TX that use solar-powered pavement lights around their feeders... they come on at dusk and dimly light the area. Hogs seem to completely ignore the light.

Finally, I don't know if it is legal in Alberta, but I would suggest a sub-sonic round or a suppressed round if possible, especially if you are going to hunt over a feeder. Typically one shot is all you get otherwise.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above mentioned,

you can also trap and snare feral hogs.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721

Here's a thread from a guy from Texas. It reads as a narrative of his battle against feral hogs, and includes lots of good information.

Dan