THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Roberts load , what do you think.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roberts load , what do you think.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took my little ruger RL .257 R out to the woods today, My old tried and true load of 46 grains of H-414 under a 100 grain tripple shock for whatever reason is not doing what it used to. Its not to bad but it used to give moa.
But not any more. BUT
I have a new load, and I wanted to hear your opinion.
A 120 grain Partition over 42 grains of IMR 4350. It is dynomite acurate, but thats just a we bit heavy for my little 20 inch Roberts,I get 2700 fps. If I had time I would try a 100 grain partition, but this rifle has allways been fussy , Do you think 2700 is fast enough to get that partiton to expand at say 300 yds ?
I tried 42.5 grains of powder but got a prety flat primer.
Love to hear what you think ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say you have a great load for any deer that walks!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler would tell you minimum impact velocity for reliable expansion is 1800 fps.

I'd say you're covered.

Posts: 108 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea , I guess I do !
last year I took my buck with the 100 grain tripple shock, It did such a number on the buck I thought I had the perfect deer set up.
The 120 grain partition shure should work fine, but the 100 grain tsx , load has a velocity of 3100 over my chrony.
I would use that load out to whatever range I feel comfortable shooting.
After deer season, I will play with some lighter partitions and the tsx with other powders.
By the way I took my calipers out and measured my groups from yeasterday.
1st 2 shots were right at .68 . then I moved 5 clicks right on the VX3 2.5X8 and the next 3 at .45,
last week , I put 2. into half an inch then 3 into .40.
What the hell am I complaining about ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't hesitate to use the 120gr. Partition on deer and yes as long as you can put it where it belongs it will work perfect at 300 yards.

My RL can be finicky about the action screws being to tight. Even when it's not shooting as well as it could, it's still acceptable. Mine will put the first two real close together, then open up the warmer the barrel gets. I usually get it sighted in then check zero from a cold clean barrel. For deer hunting it's fine as it only takes one right? Wink It heats up to quick for long range sessions. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
I personally wouldn't hesitate to use the 120gr. Partition on deer and yes as long as you can put it where it belongs it will work perfect at 300 yards. Nate

thumbWhat Nate says thumb In fact from experience ,the average plain wrap 117 gr to 120 gr. bullet will do just fine out of the .257 Roberts. The partition is the frosting on the cake. Now don't get me wrong frosting is good. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, you had me spooked witht he results of your TSx load as mine is the same one! and I'm not complaining about .75" for 3 from my M77(22") It's so good I almost hate to use it on whitetails Smiler

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After hunting season I will play around with some other bullets in my RL. I would like to see how the 110 grain accubond will do on game. It shoots real well from my custom springfield Roberts but this hunt is likly to be a little rough for me to take such a prety rifle.
I have a VZ 24 sitting here , and I think it would make a beautifull Roberts AI...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me boring as all I load in the Roberts is 45.5 grains of IMR 4350, and usually with Sierra's 100 grain Game King. I like and use 120s as this bullet really separates the Roberts from the various 6m.m.s, but perfere the extra speed and flat trajectory the lighter pills afford. No deer yet encountered has walked away!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, what is your 110 AB load? I'm using 115 Partition data as suggested by Nosler. IMR4831

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, you said you were getting flat primers with 42-IMR4350 and the 120's? I'm using 44.5 H4350 with the 115 Partitions and 110 Accubonds in two different 22" Rugers with the primers in pretty good shape using W-W +P brass. Velocity with the 115's runs around 2800. Ramshot Hunter gives about the same results with the same weights in these two rifles. One of the rifles prefers H4350 and the Partitions, the other likes Hunter and the Accubonds. No game yet with either, but that will change this fall. My Son-in-law got a doe a year or so with the Partition load. No problems at all.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/tj3006/springfield3-1.jpg
Looking at my book for the custom springfield, my notes say I started light with IMR-4350 at 40.5 grains, put 3 into .48
42 grains got me an avarage of .93 for 2, t 3 shot grous , On another ocaision I fired 4 rounds into .70 with three of those into .30
Chroney showed 2642 from my 24 inch douglas barrel. I need to start with that combo and go up in charge. The rifle is a lo numberd springfield so I work up slow. I,ll try to put a pic here.

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think 2700 is fast enough to get that partiton to expand at say 300 yds?

Yes, it is! Nosler Partition bullets are designed to expand at low impact velocities _(the front end, that is!)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just discovered I could get half inch groups at 100 yards with my newly acquired M1952 Mannlicher- Schoenauer carbine, using Winchester 117 grain +P ammo. I'm not going to reload for the Bob at all when I can get that performance from factory ammo. Of course, that's after trying all other current factory ammo and a few handloads. You never know what works and want don't until you try!!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote