Notify
Tools

Scope for 223 wssm
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Hi
Talked to Kevin at Weaver Rifles tonight he has my barrel and will be finshing my rifle next week. I need to send him a scope for mouting and barrel break in. I want a good scope that will not cost a Arm & Leg. My rifle is a light weight walk around Win 70 223wssm w/ 26" #2 fluted pacnor barrel.
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B, The new model NIKON BUCKMASTER 4.5-14 with Side Focus would serve you well! They can be had for under $300.00 at a lot of places! And they are great glass for the money and weight and overall size are good for the light carry rifles.....take a look at them! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your budget? Leupold VX-I or VX-2 in 3-9 is the ticket. They have the VX-3 coatings from a couple of years ago and are between 200-300 bones. The VX-1 does not have click adjustment as the VX-2 does but I have shot numerous one hole groups with the ones I own (3). I bought the VX-1 last year due to budget constraints and after using it went back and bought 2 more for rifles that were unscoped because I was going to wait until I could afford "really good" scopes. I sat in a tripod at dusk last deer season and compared my 4 year old 4.5-14x50 LR Tactical to my "cheap" VX-1 and to my estonishment the VX-1 was as chrisp, as bright a picture. When I asked the Leupold rep about this he said they are turning over their technology so fast the VX-1 of 2005 has the VX-3 coating of 2 years ago! Same life time warranty, same specs just different coatings, and not as many coatings. I think VX-1 coating are external, VX-2 are multi-coatings and VX-3 are coatings throughout. Hope this helps. Of course if money is no option then go get yourself Nightforce's NXS 2.5-10x24 for 1200.00 and you could get me one while your at it.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO-Perry pretty much said it all.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr B: With that cartridge and that length barrel I assume you are going to be "walking around" where there may be some LONG range shooting to be had?
If so I would put as much scope power on that custom Rifle as you can afford (use)!
Another scope I have been impressed with for several years now is the Weaver 4x16 variable - V 16 model. It is light weight and has a wonderful adjustable objective and the du-plex models I use have a wonderfully designed and proportioned reticle. It aids my shooting immensely with the fine section of the duplex being small enough to aid in ranging and leading Varmints.
Maybe even the somewhat heavier Leupold 6x18 would aid your accuracy in the field! I like the du-plex design of this scopes reticle immensely also!
Good luck with the new Rifle and let us know how it shoots!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Varmint Guy and Groundhog D. above....

Between the Nikon 4.5 x 14 Buckmaster and the Weaver V 16.... they represent the best dollar value.....

Good solid scopes... great user friendly features.... clear optics...

They are not Leupolds... but also don't come with a Leupold price.... I also think they have several good reticle choices.. for guys like me that like something more than the old standard cross hairs like every other scope has....

I need a few more 'features' like mil dots or target dots on my varmint scopes...

All of these companies back up their scopes well also....

A gentleman at the range this past weekend was sitting down and cussing his Steiner scope...

4 x 12 on a 300 Weatherby.... he said he has had to send it back to Steiner 3 or 4 times so far.. and each time they charged him $65.00 and the problem keeps re occuring....cross hairs are being shaken loose....He was saying even the Tasco he put on his kids 10/22 had to go in for repair and all it cost him was $10.00 for return shipping...

if anyone's eyes are like mine.. I can't see thru any power greater than about 14 anyway.. regardless of glass quality and price!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote