THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    110gr Accubond in 250 Savage??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

110gr Accubond in 250 Savage??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys anyone shooting 110gr Accubonds in their 250 Savage. I'm toying with building a 250 savage on a model 7 action & setting up the chamber longthroated to suit the accubond. What velocity could I expect??

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You could probably push it to the max and get 2700 fps out of it in a modern action as you will build, but I would consider 2600 fps to be more of a realistic goal. As to the Accubond: Yes, the bullet itself is a good one. But in the .250, standard cup and core bullets do nicely at the velocities you'll be operating at. Even the 100 grain BT will shoot completely through the chest of virtually any whitetail or pronghorn.

Also, if you want a heavier bullet, don't overlook the 115 grain BT or the 117 grain PH & GK Sierras. At .250 velocities, they'll penetrate exceptionally well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 250/3000 does not like the heavier bullets. My whitetail load is 36gr RL15,CCI primer, Rem.brass,and 100gr Partition or 100gr Sierra SBT. I have always gotten 100% penetration and have never trailed over 30yds on Florida whitetails. The last two were "bang/flops".
You'll never be sorry that you built a 250/3000.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Model 7 with a 22" 1-10 barrel. It has a somewhat short throat so I can seat 110 Accubonds out to 2.560". With 32.5gr of IMR4064, I get about 2610 fps.

I tried many of the heavier 25 bullets, such as the 110 accubond, 115 ballistic tip, and the 115 TSX, but I consistently get more accurate results with the lighter bullets. My gun loves the 90gr HPBT Sierra and the 100 TSX.

The 90gr Sierra's took down a feral pig last month at about 60 yards and the bullet held together very well. My gun shoots those bullets at about 3030 fps and at those moderate velocities even a light bullet such as the Sierra work.

Here's a picture of my gun with a youth stock. It weighs 6 lbs 9 oz with the talley rings and the Leupold 2-7 scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, there is a good reason I have tried so many 25 cal bullets and several powders in this gun. It is a ton of fun to shoot! Load development is just an excuse I have to use this gun more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the reply. Hey Duckboat how well does your savage feed from the magazine? Are you using the 308 length mag & follower?
My Donor action started life as a 7mm08 so hopefully no tricks to get it feeding. I hope the xtra taper of the neat savage round doesn't cause any problems.
The little 250savage with 110grainers kinda gives 6.8spc performance by the sound of it. My friend is using this round in a Mini14 & it's very mild, well mannered & puts game down just fine out to 300yds. The best part is I don't think savage brass is going to be hard to get anytime soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh forgot to ask Duckboat. Could you tell me the measurement from the top of your action to the underside of the 1" scope tube just in front of the foreward talley scope ring. I'm just trying to find the lowest ring combination & this would give me a fair idea. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The measurement to the bottom of the tube is .48".

Regarding the magazine, my donor action started out as a 243. I didn't have to do any work to get the 250 to feed properly and I bet you won't have to either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read several recomendations for a 1 in 9" twist to help stabilize heavy bullets in the 250 savage. I'm quite certain that Krieger will make you a barrel with just about any twist, but the barrel makers that don't use cut rifleing might be less flexable.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the jigger:
My 250/3000 does not like the heavier bullets. My whitetail load is 36gr RL15,CCI primer, Rem.brass,and 100gr Partition or 100gr Sierra SBT. I have always gotten 100% penetration and have never trailed over 30yds on Florida whitetails. The last two were "bang/flops".
You'll never be sorry that you built a 250/3000.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

Same here. I have yet to find a bullet heavier than 100 grains that will shoot in the three 250 Savages I have. But, the best accuracy in any of them comes with the 87 and 90 grain bullets. I do LOVE the 90 grain Sierra HPBT, and the two 87 grain Speer offerings; all three are equally accurate in all three rifles. It's a benevolent problem trying to figure out what bullet to use as all are accurate.

Don