THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    suggest a centerfire rifle please

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggest a centerfire rifle please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i don't yet own a centerfire rifle but i'm thinkin stongly about getting one.. i need to know what the best REASONABLE PRICED bolt action centerfire rifle might be.... i'm thinking prolly a .223 for the sake of plentliful once fired brass......... opinions? suggestions??.......... thanks ...............

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tasco,

A good starter centerfire, assuming you want a bolt rifle and not a semi-auto, in .223 might be a CZ 527 carbine. I have one an it's very accurate, cheap to shoot and well made. I'm sure there are a lot of other rifles that can claim the same but, at least that's my experience.

What ever you choose - be safe and enjoy your rifle.

-Vlad

one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS VLAD!! how about an AMERICAN MADE rifle anyone???????

one of us
posted Hide Post
tasco, you can't go wrong with a Savage for low price and a real shooter. Two years ago I would not have recommended a 223 at all BUT, after having one this last year it's kinda like my left shoulder, it's always there. Sure is fun to shoot.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've been lookin at savage on their site jb......is that a lower priced rifle? my budget is less than that...or i should say i'm tighter than that......

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irecon you cant go past the WeatherbyVanguard for value for money I'm using one for work now & swear by it thumb

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Stevens 200 is a great budget gun.
So is the Mossberg ATR, both of which have synthectic stocks and a matte finish.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tasco, if your budget is that small I'd suggest perhaps that you either shop used or consider a Handi-rifle. My pecking order based on your question is CZ, Savage, Remington. I think you can do better with careful shopping in the used market though.

From my reading on the subject it would appear that with the possibility of some forearm work accepted, the Handi-Rifle will match wits with most bolt guns and do better that a lot of 'em. Good luck.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That easy!!! The new Remington 700SPS. It comes in lots of calibers including the .223 Remington and is a heck of a value.

This rifle has good lines and a pretty darned good composite stock for the money. It is matte finish, no glare. Even the bolt is black, there is nothing shiny about this rifle.

The actions on the ones I looked at where a little gritty but we are not looking at top of the line equipment here. Despite all the bull shit on this an other forums the Remington trigger is easily adjustable and safe if you just use some common sense.

Again, no question in my mind, Remington 700SPS.

Buy one in .223 Remington and have fun!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Ditto what R Flower says: Go with Remington!

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey that stevens model looks like what i'm looking for............anyone have any experience with that gun?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't give us much to go on as to you intended use. While the 223 is easy to shoot and ammo is cheap, the king is still probably the 30-06. Big enough of any hunting situation and ammo is available everywhere

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigdog i wanted a 223 cal. rifle as the brass should be plentiful an if i get a rifle i will reload for it.... i've always liked that caliber an if seems like i might be able to tweak reloads to get some accuracy out of a .22 cal boolit....... i don't get to shoot all that much anymore so i'm prolly just dreamin...............

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL......

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, the CZ Model 3 IS being made here.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Tasco, What do you want to make holes in? If it's paper or most N. American varmints a .223 is fine. I've got one myself for those purposes. But if you think you might want to try bigger game someday you might want to consider more gun. If I were on a tight budjet I'd shop for a good used bolt-action rife first and save some money for a better scope. If I wanted to buy a good, new gun at a very good price I'd probably go with a Savage.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hornhunter
posted Hide Post
Tasco - you're looking at MSRP on the Savage website. I saw a Savage with scope at WalMart yesterday for $341. Of course it wasn't a 223. Get on the phone, you might find one.

Academy has the Remington 700ADL for $331, but then you need mounts and a scope. Again, the problem is finding a 223.

I imagine both of the prices are to clear out last seasons inventory, so you had best get at it.

Posts: 46 | Location: Lake Jackson, Texas | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys!! ya i mostly just punch paper with my guns.... hopefully in as small a cluster of holes as i possibly can. i'm kinda an accuracy nut...... all the prices you informed me of are doable for me so but i guess the problem might be finding just the right rifle...i may have to go for a different cal...... as they say it's all nogotiable.......

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka makes a .223 varmint model for just $659

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Tasco,

If you are looking for a new gun, cheap, then Walmart is the way to go. The 223 handi rifles start at $187. They also sell a cheaper brand called braztech, but I don't know anything about that one. As you are aware, handi rifles have almost a cult following (kinda like contenders, only not as bad) and they usually shoot very well. Or you can go with a remington for a couple hunred dollars more if that is in your budget.

However, if money is tight here is what I recommend- put an ad in whatever free "bargaineer" type paper you have locally. This is what I would put in, word for word-

WANTED- Cheap 223 or small caliber centerfire rifle. On a budget but have cash!

I am thinking you would settle for a 243 or 30-06 if someone offered it to you for $75.

Now the other trick is that before you do this, earmark $115 for this project, and then stick to your resolution not to pay more than that. You may not get a gun right away, but you will eventually.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'm not familiar with the handi rifle.......what is it an who makes it?? i have thought about a contender rifle as i could do with a single shot rifle.........

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL............

one of us
posted Hide Post
the handirifle is a single shot made by new england firearms

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Handirifle is solid and accurate, but I got tired of mine in about 6 months because it is too basic for me. It is, however, a fine suggestion for a rifle and caliber combination if you only can spen $200 or so at this time.

Please note that the Savage Hunter in black synthetic has a MSRP of $486, but these can almost always be had for $100 less off the shelf. It not only has a fine trigger, but uses a 1 in 9 inch twist should you want to shoot the 62 gr mil ammo.

Good luck and have fun...the 223 is an amazing and fun round to shoot.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to use your centerfire rifle for?

one of us
posted Hide Post
AIU mostly just go to the range an pop holes in targets so my 1022 custom is keeping me occupied pretty good right now......... went to brushy creek shooting range today an shot but it was really windy....... nothing like trying to hit a moving target........ altho a guy was there who was shooting one of those stevens models you were telling about...... it was 223 cal. an he said it was accurate enough that he shot varmits with it ...i got a good look at it an it seemed substantial enough......the only thing i was taken back with was the cheap looking plastic stock..........i did get a few more rounds through the 1022 tho ...she is just about broken in ........about 500 rnds through her.......it is still a blast to shoot Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Stevens rifle is a Savage barrel and action with a cheap stock and matte finish to cut cost. If you use a bipod you may want to upgrade the stock. In my opinion Savage barrels are the best for the money.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i wonder if laminated stocks are available for these rifles at a decent price??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tasco,

I don't believe they offer the Stevens rifles in different stocks as they are designed to be the "base" model. In general though, Savage rifles tend to be a couple hundred $$ more with the laminate stocks, although I think they're worth it. I recently got a Model 12 Low Profile Varminter in .22-250, which has a laminate stock. It's not only beautiful, but is extremely steady, very comfortable, and much more weather-resistant than regular wood stocks.

For paper with an occasional varmint, I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage in .223. You'll find that the plastic stocks are a little flimsy, but if you're using sandbags under the action, I'd be willing to bet you'll get excellent accuracy. Don't have first-hand experience with the Stevens models, but if they are the same Savage action and barrel, they're a steal, regardless of the stock.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I had a handi-rifle for a while in 25-06. Nice little gun, but it needed some trigger work to really make it shine.

Still, I'd prefer a Ruger #1 over a handi-rifle, but then you're going up in price.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote