New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Win in 100 Win Carbine
 Login/Join

<71 Win>
posted
I have a chance to buy a Win model 100 carbine in 243. This gun was made the first year it was offered in 1967. It has only been shot one time to sight it in back in 1967. The gentleman who owns it bought it for his wife who did'nt like it and just put it away after the sighting in. How much do you figure a gun like this is worth? It is truely like BRAND new. I have never seen one in this shape in any caliber in rifle or carbine. I would love to have some feed back about prices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Over at an auction site I see them listed for approx $380 in excellent shape - seems like if they are in a 284 Win chambering they will bring higher = $480 - some are listed as pre 64 models so I think the rifle was around prior to 1967 unless that was the first year 243 was chambered. Good luck - one thing for sure - the value will only go up with time - or should be a slick hunting rifle if you choose to use it.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
My .308 was made in 1961. They are great little rifles I love mine. If you buy the rifle make sure you contact winchester as these were recalled several years ago. If I remember correctly they had a problem with the firing pin and the gun would go off full auto.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the stock is checkered, it is pre-64. If it has a basketweave pattern, it is post-64. If uncheckered, it is a post-64 Carbine model. In any event, the Model 100 was a nice rifle. All I have shot have been fairly accurate for an autoloader. In new condition, I would hesitate to take less than $400 if it were mine, and somewhat more if it were pre-64. The .308 was the most common chambering, followed closely by .243, with .284 much less common. It's sister lever action, the Model 88 has a somewhat greater collector following and was also chambered in .358 Winchester.

The firing pin rework is not that difficult, provided parts are still available from Winchester; but taking it out of the stock is surprisingly complicated and counter-intuitive. You can do it, just go slow and easy and don't get frustrated. As I recall, the firing pin problem only showed up with guns that were abused by excessive dry and live firing, so the gun you're looking at will likely function properly indefinately if cared for, even without the "fix".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The firing pin problem cause a out of battery firing problem. Very nasty problem, but Winchester fixed them for free.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1996 I had a Model 100 in .243. It would clear the magazine every time I pulled the trigger. Don't know what had been done to it before. I sent it off to winchester and they fixed it. Sold it later. A friend of mine had one that had been his wifes grandfathers. It had been set up for a long time. It had a problem in the chamber. It would not extract the cartridge. It would rip a grove in the rim before it would extract. Could not see any problems in the chamber. Might have been some timing problem. Anyway shoot it before you buy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend has one in 243 and its a very finicky rifle in regard to what type of ammo is fed through it. If its a pre 64 in that kind of shape I'd buy it.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<71 Win>
posted
Thanks for the replies. The model 100 I'm looking at is a carbine and not a rifle. I also believe that the 243 in this configuration is somewhat rare. Any ideas on price. The condition is new, it was shot once and then put away for 37 years.