THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    CZ 527 American Classic .222 report

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 American Classic .222 report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Finally got the rifle and it is a beautiful piece of hardware.Wonderful chunk of feathered black walnut. Artisticly carved checkering,grip and fore arm. The trigger is a single set type with 4 different adjustments,force, creep, after travel and set.The bolt out of the box was a little tight and had a scooch drag to it. After lightly honing the magazine's sharp edges ,lubing and working the bolt a couple dozen times it's as smooth as a baby's butt.What I find nice is You can just drop the cartridge on top of the magazine , not in it, and it functions flawlessly.I put a Simmons 6 to 24 power($64.00) scope on it( spared no expence) and took it to the range after running a 1/2 dozen patches through it. I worked up one load with 3 different bullets.
RP CASES --- Fed small rifle Primers---22.1gr. 8208 50YARDS

1. 55gr. FMJBT Golden West After sight in 4shot 1/2" group

2. 53gr. HP. Sierra 9 shot 3/4" group 1 shot I pulled off made it a 10 shot 1".

3. 52gr. A-Max. Hornady 2shots same hole, 5 shot 3/8" group.

Imagine what this little light weight rifle will do once it is shot in and I start really trying
I am stoked.

But my BLUE DOT hasn't arrived yet. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report, Roger...I gotta get me one o' them in the laminate, please...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy that has a triple duce has great luck with the 40 grain Sierra HP, I really like the 40 V-Max and BlitzKings in my .223 and various Hornets and K-Hornet. The heavier bullets are certainly better over 300, but if you get bored and want to shoot ground squirrels or p-dogs out to 250 300ish try a 40, that extra velocity is quite dramatic at the lesser ranges. Bunch of gun for the money aren't they?

I just worked up a load in my CZ .17 Remington using a 30 grain Berger at 3,900ish, shoots right around a half or a little better and will really reach out. Actually put down one group (5 shot 100) that was a .211. I'd like to tell you I do that all the time but I'm afraid my nose would start to look like Bill Clintons. Sure fun when it happens though. Keep us posted on that classic caliber and what it likes.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mountdoug

What do you think of the barrel on your CZ .17 ?

Is it pretty smooth ?

Does it foul much ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've liked this rifle from back in the days when it was marketed under the Brno name. It's a fine piece of equipment. You've got it in one of the most accurate calibers of all time. I hope the deuce never disappears. For years it's been one accurate beggar. I hope you thoroughly enjoy it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey there sdgunslinger. Actually I think it's quite good, it fact I think it's the smoothest of the 3 CZ's I've had yet. Whether that's CZ worrying about the .17 Rem and fouling or luck of the draw I don't know. I also thought that since I got what had to be an early production run of .17 Rem cause they had just come out perhaps the tooling was a little crisper than normal. As usual the barrel had a bunch of black CZ crud in it designed to drive clean freaks like me crazy, but as always it came out by the time I'd finished break in. My break-in by the way is the one Dan Lilga recommends it's on his site I believe, pain in tha butt but to me the benifits are more than worth it. As to fouling, I did a little test after it was well broken in, at the range I didn't clean for 55 rounds (I usually clean 20-30 tops) the last 5 shot group was right at 1/2 inch. So much for the old fouling terror fousted off on the uninformed by the gun rag dorks for years. It's the barrel not the cartridge that cause fouling. Yes my Cooper Mach IV cleans easier but then for the money difference the damn thing oughta clean itself. All in all I'm real pleased with it, it aggs in the .5's and .6's but a couple days ago I started testing the 30 grain Berger shoved way into the lands and I think there's a load with that bullet that'll shrink those groups. I shot 2-5 shot groups one with 760 and one with VV N135 that both had 4 shots into 1/4 inch or less and a "damit" shot that opened em up one to .443 and one to a .515 the little buggers that were out of the group were all me. That's the best this rifles done,and bodes well for the future. Even if if doesn't shoot tighter groups a factory rifle that shoots .5's and .6's for under $500.00 in a cartridge not really known for stellar accuracy is quite remarkable. Hope that helps.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Had the CZ .222 out today for the second time running a Blue Dot experiment. Of the three different loadings two were just great but the one using the 60 gr. barrier bullet was a little dismal . Some el cheapo bulk 55gr. bullets print 1/2" groups at 50 yds. The 50 gr. Nosler Balistic tips were capable of 6 shot 3/8" groups.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote