New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering buying a 250 Savage rifle for coyote hunting. What experiences have any of you guys had with said cartridge on said varmints and with what bullets?

I like the idea of the smaller case with the.25 bullets which should equate to less recoil than a .243 or .25 BOB which is a definate plus for multiple c'yotes in thick brush country.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you would be tickled with the 250/3000 for Deer, Hogs, Coyotes and about anything else you'd like to plug with it. I've always wanted one but never owned one, I have a .257 Bob though and it is working fine and I'm sure not much different than the 250/3000 would be. I picture a 75 to 90 grain hollow point for Coyotes as bad medicine!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Snellstrom. I hunt in south Texas in usually fairly brushy areas. It is not uncommon to have two to three coyotes come to a calling session sometimes all at the same time. As I am sure you know, it is nice to get quick target acquisition after each shot. My main yote rifle is a 22-250 which I will still use, but the brush and strong wind sometimes can be a problem at the longer ranges which for me is 300 plus yards.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I'm sure you would be tickled with the 250/3000 for Deer, Hogs, Coyotes and about anything else you'd like to plug with it. I've always wanted one but never owned one, I have a .257 Bob though and it is working fine and I'm sure not much different than the 250/3000 would be. I picture a 75 to 90 grain hollow point for Coyotes as bad medicine!

I've owned and hunted with several of them over the years...one Savage Model 1920, one Remington 700, two Mausers, and 4 Savage '99s. All worked fine on Columbian Blacktail Deer and Saskatchewan white-tails, with any cup' n core 87 or 100 grain bullets.

I'd take one over a 6m/m any day, just because they have adequate power for the job and I really like the older Savage rifles.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks A-Canuck. I am looking at a bolt gun in a Savage Model 14 American Classic ( I believe it is called - could be a 114?).

Picture of hellerlr
posted Hide Post
Rae59;
It is the model 14. I have the 250 in the 16FHSS/SS&synthetic stock.The 250 has worked out for me. The one load I worked up so far is a 100gr.at a little over 2900fps. Mine likes the flat base over the boat-tails.
But I hope the the 75gr.V-Max will work. That's what I'll be working on next.

Posts: 19 | Location: NW-PA. | Registered: 23 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I've had several over the years...Sav99 and Ruger RSI(wish I had those back), now a Rem 788 I rebarreled/rechambered to 250 AI about 35 years ago for my Dad.

Used within it's range and with correct weight and type bullets it will take any game on the N.A. continent...although I wouldn't use it on any bear.

I like my AI and shoot the 75 VMax and 85 Nosler and Combined Tech bullets and 87 Hornady which the Md 788 22" Shilen barreled rifle seems to like the best. My loads equal the older published 257 Roberts velocities.

I reloaded for an older friend for many years...one box every 2-3 years...for his Sav 99, 100 gr Rem Coreloks around 2800 fs and he took all his game with it...deer, antelope, elk and moose and the odd chicken thief...one shot each at less than 100 yards, closer on the bigger ones, open sights, mostly head/neck junction shots,...he didn't believe in wasting meat or shots, didn't care for tough, stringy, stinky bucks and didn't care about horns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these in the Ruger 77 international, stainless. It is a sweet shooting caliber. I have only fired a few rounds of Win factory 100gr in mine. I have brass and dies and I'll get to a load some time soon. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
The only problems I had with my M77 RSI was needing to relieve the muzzle schnabel and make sure the barrel wasn't touching ANY part of the barrel channel wood...basically free floating the barrel.

Prior to free floating I would get flyers.

I also bedded the recoil lug and rear receiver screw with home made pillars and 2" of the chamber area in steel epoxy.

All that work and I had to sell it when times got tough.

Full bedding the barrel clear out to the schnabel was another way of getting rid of the flyers...a WHOLE lot of work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 250 Savage for coyote and like the 90 gr Sierra HP bullets. The bullets open up really well at 250 Savage speeds, but don't explode apart. I like the bullets because they also work well if a wild pig happens to come by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 250/3000 in a re-barreled Savage 10. It shoots MOA with 100gr Sierra SBT. Every deer that it has taken were retrieved within 25yds. Several were bang-flop.
I also have a 250AI that is a dedicated Varmint rifle. It is built on a Ruger #3 action. With 75gr V-Max it shoots minute of prairie dog out to a little over 300yds.
Try RL15 when you start load development.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put togetther a Stevens 200 with a 20" A&B barrel for handy little carbine. Shoots everything from 75's to 117 RN's into small groups. I've shot some coyotes with 75gr Sierra and they are not fur friendly, near cuts them in half. I have a bunch of 90gr Gamekings that I'll be trying next. Also shoot a 99 and a Model 20.

375win

After the first shot the rest are just noise

Posts: 66 | Location: Wetside, WA | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRYBABY

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got my new 250 Savage in a Savage model 16 FHSS Saturday. Will mount a temporary 4.5-14 scope on it until I can get a Leupold VX-II in 6-18.
Any powder suggestions for 87 gr. bullets. I am looking for higher velocities and I think I should be able to do better than book since those loads were for the M-99.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said in an earlier post, try RL15 with all weight bullets. It has been my go-to in the 250/3000 and the 250 Ackley.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingIn my long throated rifle. 90grain HP, 37grains BL-C-2. 3150 fps.START LOW. flameroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Sorry Jigger, I missed the RL-15 in your earlier post.